Fumito Ueda: Do we know anything about his next game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phmurrph

6 Jul 2022
Everybody is talking about Miyazaki (Elden Ring, deservedly) and Kojima's next game (which is years away, it seems), but what about Ueda's?

Almost 6 years have passed since The Last Guardian was released, and we know nothing about his next game other than it's being made with Epic's money.
Will it be multiplatform? PC exclusive? Console exclusive to who: Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo?

Fumito Ueda is arguably the most influential game designer of the 21st century. Not only God of War (OG), The Last of Us, etc., but the entire independent scene was influenced by his work and game design philosophy (design by substraction, as he called it). Also Miyazaki became game designer after playing ICO, so...

I think Fumito Ueda was the biggest creative loss PlayStation's ever had, and they should do whatever it takes to make sure his next game, if not console exclusive, is playable on their platform.

What do you think?

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
We know Kowloon invested on the project, but later Epic funded the totality of the development, getting a 50% of its revenue for them.

Design by substraction isn't something he invented. I don't see any Ueda influence in GoW or TLOU, and his games were loved by a few but had very low sales.

The Last Guardian struggled to be released because of the lack of a clear vision in the design side and in the tech side the performance was too poor in PS3. The development became too long and expensive and had to move it to other teams who would able to help complete its development and release it in a decent shape for the PS4.

I assume that if we still didn't see anything from the game it's because it's suffering again of lack of clear vision for the project. So probably still don't have a clear idea of how the game is going to be from the start to end and still don't have it in a good enough shape, or still aren't confident about it, to show it.

Reactions: Phmurrph
OP
OP
Phmurrph

Phmurrph

6 Jul 2022
Design by substraction isn't something he invented. I don't see any Ueda influence in GoW or TLOU, and his games were loved by a few but had very low sales.
Maybe he didn't invent it (it's just a minimalistic approach after all), but you'd agree that, in videogames, it's pretty much associated with him, no?

Didn't the sense of scale in GOW's puzzles remind you ICO? really? Also, Druckmann and Straley cited him as a big influence, IIRC. His games were loved, luckily, by the ones who gave us games like Journey, Dark Souls, etc.
I assume that if we still didn't see anything from the game it's because it's suffering again of lack of clear vision for the project. So probably still don't have a clear idea of how the game is going to be from the start to end and still don't have it in a good enough shape, or still aren't confident about it, to show it.
Probably. Hope you're wrong, though. LOL

nominedomine

Banned
8 Jul 2022
Almost 6 years have passed since his last game? So assuming games are taking longer to be developed, being optimistic, we should expect a 2028 release.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Well I do know it will have shit Controls and Camera.

Don't expect it to release this generation either.

• haha
Reactions: Cragarmi
Status
Not open for further replies.