Future-Proofing Gaming: Do Pro Consoles Affect Your Preferred Game Buying Platform?

Will you buy multiplatform games on a console that can potentially offer a Pro version?

• Total voters

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
We're in a unique situation, which gives us an opportunity to have interesting conversations.

This is possibly the first time ever that PlayStation might launch a Pro console, while Xbox does not, and there becomes a huge gulf in power between the two consoles that have been very, very similar this generation.

But this topic is not about Pro consoles (or lack thereof). This topic is for current and future multi-console owners about whether or not the potential existence of a Pro console affects where you buy your games.

The base consoles, as awesome as they are, have been struggling to run demanding AAA current-gen exclusive games, e.g., Immortals of Aveum, Remnant 2, Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order, etc. They can go as low as 720p with poor IQ and rudimentary raytracing settings -- which is not cool!

Upcoming AAA games such as Avatar Frontiers of Pandora, Alan Wake 2, Baldur's Gate 3, etc. look amazing, but they will also likely tax these consoles significantly!

However, if there is a PS5 Pro console, there is a chance that these games will get updated (for free!) next year and offer a much better experience. That won't be an option for Xbox gamers if Xbox decides not to release an Xbox Series X Pro. So despite both paying $70 for a new AAA game, one group may have a significantly different experience.

Based on this, my question is:
  • For multi-console owners: Is this a big enough deal for you to purchase all third-party games on PlayStation from now on (even if you prefer buying them on Xbox) because you may get free Pro upgrades down the road? (e.g., improved ray tracing, higher resolution, higher unlocked framerates, improved graphical settings, etc.)
Note: This is not about potentially buying a new console. This question specifically is just potentially changing the platform you buy multiplatform games on, because there may be Pro upgrades on one of them.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Only if I know its going to be out "soon." I certainly wouldn't wait at launch and cheat myself out of half a generation just because there might be something better in the future.

Reactions: Heisenberg007

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It certainly shifts my spending habits away from my pc yes. I know this is a question for people who own both consoles, but i'm not buying an xbox so long as microsoft is a craptastic company so i'm responding to a hypothetical 'dual ecosystem owners' question.

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
I want them to take their time so we can get 4k 60fps with ray tracing

Leaks are saying the ps5 pro may be double the power

Last edited:
  • fire

ksdixon

Dixon Cider Ltd.
Icon Extra
22 Jun 2022
For me I would say it's more franchises that would make me go multiplatform like RE on DC/GC, or something esoteric like controller preference?

In the past I wanted PS4 Pro, but it never seemed worth the leap?

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
If Xbox came out with a pro and Sony set on their laurels it would be obvious who is more invested in the sector.

I can easily tolerate minor power deficiencies, but would buy the best for 3rd party on its own.

But we al know the above is all but a fever dream.

Last edited:

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
No, games affect my choice. I'll main a weaker platform if it has games I want. Power was never a major factor for me and I'm not a fan of these mid gen upgrades. I'd play on PC if I was that interested in having the latest stuff.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I don't care about Pro consoles, and I prefer them to don't exist to be respectful with the players who bought the original system and make sure devs put their maximum effort in making sure the games perform as good as possible in the original platfoms without having to spread their effort and resources across more platforms.

Pro versions don't affect my purchase decisions, games do. By default I buy PS consoles because they have way more both exclusives and multiplatform games that I like than the other platforms. And then as secondary platform I bought handhelds or Nintendo platforms (PSP, Vita, 3DS, Switch) to play there some games in portable mode or to enjoy a few Nintendo exclusives.

I also have a gaming PC that I mostly use to work, but sometimes I get there some indies or in a few cases I get the PC version of games if way cheaper due to some very specific great deal.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
I don't care about Pro consoles, and I prefer them to don't exist to be respectful with the players who bought the original system and make sure devs put their maximum effort in making sure the games perform as good as possible in the original platfoms without having to spread their effort and resources across more platforms.

Pro versions don't affect my purchase decisions, games do. By default I buy PS consoles because they have way more both exclusives and multiplatform games that I like than the other platforms. And then as secondary platform I bought handhelds or Nintendo platforms (PSP, Vita, 3DS, Switch) to play there some games in portable mode or to enjoy a few Nintendo exclusives.

I also have a gaming PC that I mostly use to work, but sometimes I get there some indies or in a few cases I get the PC version of games if way cheaper due to some very specific great deal.
I recognise the concern. But PS4/Pro lived happily ever after so that should alleviate risk of such ituations.

• brain
Reactions: Kokoloko

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I play on PlayStation. A new PlayStation console, a more powerful one, excites me.

Changing to some other platform isn't really something I consider, especially considering how other platforms are operated. I do have a Switch and a laptop for access to other games if I need but I usually stick to PS. (99% of the time)

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
If Xbox came out with a pro and Sony set on their laurels it would be obvious who is more invested in the sector.

If Xbox made a pro console and Sony didn’t, then the whole world would say Sony is being anti consimer and they are doomed.

PS4 Pro was announced and it was meant to disrupt the studios, making things too difficult for developers and gamers. It was deemed pointless and a huge mistake. Even guys like Colin M were saying “Who and what is this for” Like the world didnt understand, its only a 4k Upscale, Cerny didnt explain enough”.
It was perfectly clear what it was meant to do and Cerny explained fine but everyone acted like retards even some PS fans.

As soon as Xbox One X was announced all that crap went out the window and it was fine to have a midgen upgrade….

Last edited:

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Im day 1 on PS5 Pro. Or if Switch 2 did a pro version. I wouldnt change platforms, I voted incorrectly lol

Last edited:

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
If it was the other way around, I wouldn't change a God damn thing.

But it's nice to know that PS5 games are likely to get a nice boost for PS5 Pro and PS6+

24 Jun 2022
Yeah. But, knowing there are going to be Pro consoles eventually, and considering how dragged out cross-gen support was this gen (even among 1P) combined with smaller visual returns and taking longer to see a jump up in visual fidelity from the first two or so years...

I'm more than willing to wait for the Pro model before actually jumping in. Luckily for PlayStation, their base consoles have been outperforming the competition and have the most software support, so in some situation where I wait for a PS6 Pro, I'd have a PS5 or PS5 Pro since the library would carry over.

Hezekiah

Veteran
23 Jul 2022
It doesn't affect me, but if you own both consoles surely you might be inclined to go for the platform with the Pro console, and it's excellent that we're being offered the choice.

However, it's likely the Pro will be the minority of sales after release.

KnittedKnight

Gaming Sage
Icon Extra
13 Jul 2022
The baseline is still the Series S.

I certainly hope it doesn't have that effect, ands stays fringe and niche amongst a specific crowd of consumers. Obviously Sony would love for that to not be the case.

Any way I slice the PRO releases with regards to long term market effects as well as brand effects comes out as a net negative, not just for PlayStation but for the overall console market.

In this regard, fuck Sony.

As for OP's question. Absolutely not.

Just the simple math of acquiring a new $600 box = $600 less of disposable income that may have gone into potentially purchasing 7-10 new AAA games and supporting developers. Say you trade your old PS5 for the PS5 Pro and the net loss is about $200. That's is still about 4 full fledged AAA games or several indies potentially losing a customer purchase. On that relationship alone, anyway the math is spun, whether $10 or $600, that is a negative to the industry, unquestionably. Moreover, adding another box that has to be supported adds more development overhead for studios, even if marginal at that. It's still not the optimal solution of simply just supporting one sku. And we can already see the problems of the Series S.

I haven't even touched on brand effects for the company engaged in it, in this case PS, but also Xbox.... the saturation aspect and confusion of choice etc. The console market is at its optimal best when you get 1 box per platform holder, with the previous gen being 1 box as well - thus at any time platform holders are supporting 2 skus, the previous gen, and the current gen. We're up to 5 with the Pro now just for "current gen" alone.

The chaos of the PC hardware market, and its emulation on the console side is crazy. Consoles is what provides the premium games market with stability. We're not in SEGA territory of stupidity, obviously this is been done in a smarter way but we're close.

Last edited: