Game Awards just highlights this industry needs to grow up

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
instead of a celebration of all the games that came out this year and all the hard-working talent that made those games possible, we got a parade of consumerism.

ad after ad and anytime an actual award is being given, the people are rushed off the stage. meanwhile, kojima gets 10 minutes to talk a whole lot of nothing.

i get you need to pay for your show, but the entire thing is kind of an insult to games as an art form.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
instead of a celebration of all the games that came out this year and all the hard-working talent that made those games possible, we got a parade of consumerism.

ad after ad and anytime an actual award is being given, the people are rushed off the stage. meanwhile, kojima gets 10 minutes to talk a whole lot of nothing.

i get you need to pay for your show, but the entire thing is kind of an insult to games as an art form.
Well actually this shows that the games industry has already "grown up"

Every industry starts with a bunch of trailblazers and pioneers that are fueled only by their creative vision and ambition to forge a new path.

All the scumsucking capitalists that milk things dry are the ones who come afterwards when the leaders have already proven the industry lucrative. And TGA is not something that is cheap to produce. It probably costs millions in licensing fees, invitation/speech fees, travel and airfare for guests, partnerships for the streaming platforms etc. You think those hollywood dudes are coming for free? lol they're probably getting paid tens of thousands of dollars in appearance fees.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023

Yeah it was very disrespectful how they rushed winners off the stage and only gave like 20-30 seconds for them to speak. But gave Kojima, a muppet, and random actors 5+ minutes. Also hated how they just rushed past most of the categories. Street Fighter 6 devs definitely should've been able to at least speak for a bit. The pacing was awful and didn't feel like an event meant to celebrate gaming

Reactions: Diah and Box

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023
I think the only celebrity that was there without any context was Timothée Chalamet.
Simu Liu was there as a voice actor for Stormgate, and Anthony Mackie was there to announce the best videogame adaptation which makes sense considering he's executive producer and main actor for a videogame adaptation himself.
The ads were almost all, if not all about games.

Giving time for all speeches of all awards might have been better for the few who want to hear their personal favorite devs' speeches, but it would probably make a boring show which is already pretty long by itself.

If anything, TGA shows the industry grew up pretty nicely. Compare this to the decadence that the Oscars became which have 40x more celebrity appearances and probably 1/10th the number of views, and it shows how videogames are already well above the movie industry.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I fucking hate the celebrity whoring, you're not fooling anybody, everyone knows that these people do not care in the slightest.
Some of them do (usually because it's a project they're working on), but it's obvious the ones that don't

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Certainly some of the industry needs to...example;

that dude has gone full on mask-off sony-hating since the abk merger closed. he has family working at abk so he might have some sort of skin in the game now.

full on clown takes include dumping on insomniac for messing up the cuban flag, saying that playstation first party studios are everything wrong with game industry writing, saying that people should rethink their purchasing on sony platforms since they "don't have their licensing house in order" after the debacle with disney pulling its products from playstation (this is a common problem across the industry and a direct consequence of intellectual property laws that Hoeg has personally defended and championed in the past), also unabashed praise for starfield (which is a mediocre game) and a marked disinterest in any games that aren't microsoft. He claims to like rpgs yet hasn't played the best RPG in a decade+ in baldur's gate.

On some level Richard Hoeg has turned into a closeted Florian Mueller, maybe a little more composed and less insane-sounding, but equally as insidious and intellectually dishonest.

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
Some of them do (usually because it's a project they're working on), but it's obvious the ones that don't
When I said they do not care I mean they are not particularly interested in games as a hobby (which is fine), but why bring them here then? Yes, I know that some people are drawn by them ( people wet their pants because of Keanu Reeves even though his voice "acting" in Cyberpunk was terrible), but I find it very repulsive and annoying.

Reactions: Box

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
When I said they do not care I mean they are not particularly interested in games as a hobby (which is fine), but why bring them here then? Yes, I mkniw that some people are drawn by them ( people wet their pants because of Keanu Reeves even though his voice "acting" in Cyberpunk was terrible), but I find it very repulsive and annoying.
I think it's a way for Keighley to flaunt how important his awards show is. It builds and protects his brand from other awards like the golden joysticks and baftas

Reactions: Diah

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
that dude has gone full on mask-off sony-hating since the abk merger closed. he has family working at abk so he might have some sort of skin in the game now.

full on clown takes include dumping on insomniac for messing up the cuban flag, saying that playstation first party studios are everything wrong with game industry writing, saying that people should rethink their purchasing on sony platforms since they "don't have their licensing house in order" after the debacle with disney pulling its products from playstation (this is a common problem across the industry and a direct consequence of intellectual property laws that Hoeg has personally defended and championed in the past), also unabashed praise for starfield (which is a mediocre game) and a marked disinterest in any games that aren't microsoft. He claims to like rpgs yet hasn't played the best RPG in a decade+ in baldur's gate.

On some level Richard Hoeg has turned into a closeted Florian Mueller, maybe a little more composed and less insane-sounding, but equally as insidious and intellectually dishonest.
Him and gene park are the worst, some of the most disingenuous pricks and are both in Microsoft’s pocket. No idea how people see them as credible.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Him and gene park are the worst, some of the most disingenuous pricks and are both in Microsoft’s pocket. No idea how people see them as credible.
he used to be better before microsoft went to acquire abk. i noticed a big time increase in hostility towards sony after that. and his brother (iirc it was his brother) works at abk. I think he knows xbox is in trouble and his family might be out of a job if xbox collapses so he's trying to do his part. it just feels terrible that he has to put out these dishonest takes when he should be a voice of reason, and he has shown in the past that he has the capability to provide that.

Jim Ryan

Not Lyin
VIP
22 Jun 2022
he used to be better before microsoft went to acquire abk. i noticed a big time increase in hostility towards sony after that. and his brother (iirc it was his brother) works at abk. I think he knows xbox is in trouble and his family might be out of a job if xbox collapses so he's trying to do his part. it just feels terrible that he has to put out these dishonest takes when he should be a voice of reason, and he has shown in the past that he has the capability to provide that.
Oh he is awful, a venomous little prick.

One of those small men that is just jumping around with all the hate in their small body.

• sad
Reactions: Diah and anonpuffs

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Oh he is awful, a venomous little prick.

One of those small men that is just jumping around with all the hate in their small body.
i won't really namecall - dude had a stroke recently, maybe it affected his cognition. i just find it sad.

Reactions: Jim Ryan
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
When I said they do not care I mean they are not particularly interested in games as a hobby (which is fine), but why bring them here then? Yes, I know that some people are drawn by them ( people wet their pants because of Keanu Reeves even though his voice "acting" in Cyberpunk was terrible), but I find it very repulsive and annoying.

I'm pretty sure Keanu Reeves has never touched a video game in his life. His a nice guy but his honestly a terrible actor.

I don’t mind having celebrities in games if they’re actually excited and dedicated to the game. Norman Reedus seems like he was actually really interested in what Kojima wanted to do and wanted to be part of that. Contrast that with celebrities who get cast in Call Of Duty games where it 100% feels like they’re only there for the paycheck and the studio only put them in to have a big name attached to the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diah and Johnic