Game endings that gave you pause and made you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
With all the talk about the The Last of Us and its upcoming release, I was reminded of my experience playing the game. The ending really stood out to me at the time and even now. I knew Joel wasn't a good guy, the game made that very clear but also there was this relationship developing between Ellie and him. Such relationships have changed many characters in games, novels, etc. But the fact that Joel stayed true to his character right to the bitter end really impressed me. I don't need every game protagonist to be morally good and heroic and I liked that the game wasn't afraid to let Joel be Joel. No need for redemption, great personal sacrifice, etc. - just a guy, a not so great guy, being himself and very human in the process. It took me a while to really come to that opinion and I really appreciate that. I didn't just complete the game, throw it on the finished pile, and move on to the next. It made me think and evaluate my opinion on not only the game characters but characters overall.

How about you? Was there a game ending that made you stop for a moment and really think about it? I think spoilers might be a given with this kind of topic, so fair warning about that.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Very few stories are good enough to stay with me for weeks after so they are special when they do. Even rarer when the ending is good

TLOU1 and 2, MGS3 and Undertale for narrative reasons

ICO and Journey also stayed with me a long time, I think more to do with the emotion they drew on

Reactions: laynelane
OP
OP
laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Very few stories are good enough to stay with me for weeks after so they are special when they do. Even rarer when the ending is good

TLOU1 and 2, MGS3 and Undertale for narrative reasons

ICO and Journey also stayed with me a long time, I think more to do with the emotion they drew on

I know the the final boss in MGS3 isn't exactly the ending but it really sticks out to me for a number of reasons - the aesthetics of the scene and what it all meant going forward. Very memorable overall.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
I can't say I have found many game stories interesting or profound in their meaning, it's probably because I write so many short stories of my own.

I did however find the What Remains of Edith Finch fish scene interesting.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
TLOU definitely.

TLOU 2. That ending just dug a hole in my heart and left me so empty. I woke up the next night at 3 AM in the morning and just kept thinking about it.

God of War's ending wasn't as powerful but equally beautiful. It felt so exciting for what the sequel could be.

Ghost of Tsushima's ending was so poignant. That "decision" at the end was so tough to make.

Death Stranding's ending was so cool. It all came together so well.

Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 endings were soooo good. Extremely sad though, but with excellent pay-offs.

OP
OP
laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I can't say I have found many game stories interesting or profound in their meaning, it's probably because I write so many short stories of my own.

I did however find the What Remains of Edith Finch fish scene interesting.

That was rather sad. Interesting that the people in the idealized kingdom had no faces, speaks of an emptiness within the person no matter which "world" they inhabited. Did you enjoy the game overall? I looked at it a few times during sales but remain undecided.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Soul Reaver 2.

It still blows my mind how expertly they weaved the plot(s) of the Blood Omen and SR games until then. BO2 was a bit of a let down in the game play department but another equally strong story.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
That was rather sad. Interesting that the people in the idealized kingdom had no faces, speaks of an emptiness within the person no matter which "world" they inhabited. Did you enjoy the game overall? I looked at it a few times during sales but remain undecided.
It was very short, but very well made. It's a quality experience, saying that the subject is not something that will be for everyone.

Its a journey kind of experience, and i would be even bold to say you could find someone playing the whole thing on youtube and just watch it there.

• Informative
OP
OP
laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
TLOU definitely.

TLOU 2. That ending just dug a hole in my heart and left me so empty. I woke up the next night at 3 AM in the morning and just kept thinking about it.

God of War's ending wasn't as powerful but equally beautiful. It felt so exciting for what the sequel could be.

Ghost of Tsushima's ending was so poignant. That "decision" at the end was so tough to make.

Death Stranding's ending was so cool. It all came together so well.

Red Dead Redemption 1 and 2 endings were soooo good. Extremely sad though, but with excellent pay-offs.

God of War had so much contained in its final scenes - Kratos being okay with letting the bandages go and baring his arms, the state of the realm they were in, the predictions on the wall, Atreus' other name, the bond we watched grow between Kratos and Atreus for the entire game and how different they were with each other versus the beginning, the return from that realm and what had begun, etc. I remember all of it so clearly and also the slow realization that I would have to wait YEARS to find out what happens next. 😿

I am so happy the wait is almost over. 😺

SSfox

Enter The Fox
21 Jun 2022
Shadow Moses
Shadow of Tomb Raider. The ending was so unbelievably shitty, it make me pause and think how could it be that shitty.

Seriously tho, hum last game would say was God Of War 2018. This game is a masterpiece from start to end.

OP
OP
laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Shadow of Tomb Raider. The ending was so unbelievably shitty, it make me pause and think how could it be that shitty.

Seriously tho, hum last game would say was God Of War 2018. This game is a masterpiece from start to end.

I had been thinking of putting in the condition that a game ending being absolutely terrible could also make a person stop and think. Looks like I didn't need to lol. Agreed on GoW 2018. I hope the next game keeps up that momentum.

• fire
Reactions: SSfox

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I enjoy most game story to be fair.
I even Google to get a more depth about the overall story right after finish the game.
I find out some little details about characters and plot that I didn’t noticed at first ;)

BigMclargeHuge

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
13 sentinels ending was a cap on an absolute mind fuck of a game ( in a good way).

On a negative note, mass effect 3's ending made me feel like I completely wasted my time with those games.

OP
OP
laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
I enjoy most game story to be fair.
I even Google to get a more depth about the overall story right after finish the game.
I find out some little details about characters and plot that I didn’t noticed at first ;)

Online discussion groups and wikis are great for that kind of information. It's amazing how much time and passion people will put into games they love.

Reactions: ethomaz
OP
OP
laynelane

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
13 sentinels ending was a cap on an absolute mind fuck of a game ( in a good way).

On a negative note, mass effect 3's ending made me feel like I completely wasted my time with those games.

13 Sentinels is on my list of games to get. I've heard so much praise for it and the art style appeals. An engaging, unpredictable story is right up my alley too.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, Shadow of the Colossus. MGS series. TLOU1/2. Bloodborne lol

But none of them close to how I felt after finishing watching Berserk 25 episode anime….

Reactions: Nym and laynelane
Status
Not open for further replies.