Game of Thrones MMO in development by Nexon (Blue Archive, Maple Story)

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
i350305.jpeg

Game of Thrones and A Song of Ice and Fire is a successful franchise, but it hasn’t had much luck when it comes to video games. Many were released, but only the one from Telltale games received more or less recognition and it was cancelled after one season anyway. Now, we have news of another Game of Thrones game in development.

We learned that Nexon is developing a new MMORPG set in the world of Game of Thrones. Nexon is behind the recently successful FPS shooter The Finals as well as Warhaven, Kartrider and others.

The game is set in the North as we know that Winterfell and The Wall are featured. Timeline-wise, the story is set somewhere around Game of Thrones Season 4/Season 5. Roose Bolton is already Warden of the North there and Jon Snow with Sam Tarly are still on The Wall. Other kingdoms are possible as well, but we only heard of the North so far.

The player will meet these and other characters during the game, but as far as we know, the original cast isn’t returning to voice their characters. At least in the current iteration of the game. Instead, the game will have a new voice cast who will try to sound similar to the HBO actors.

Via RedanIntelligence

Reactions: PlacidusaX

SuperDuper

Chief Troll Officer
Moderating
16 Jun 2022
With of without the sex. Because that could be quite a deal breaker.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
No it wouldn't.
It would.

How many Devs could make a competent RPG with unique characters and races, a defined story and interesting universe?

At least with an RTS they have to get those right as part of the base mechanics of the game

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
MMO? pass.

Uh Uh No GIF by Boomerang Official

I sincerely doubt it will be good anyway. Just like that DUNE's MMO. The problem with those games is that they latch into the franchises they are based on, wishfully thinking that they can just slap X brand name on their game and call it a day. So they really never put in the work to make a decent product or something wrothwhile.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
I still dream of a new disruptive MMO that would elevate the genre but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen any time soon if ever.
I honestly don't miss them, they always felt like a full time job which is great when you're young and have no responsibilities. But i ain't trying to work 2 jobs

• they're_right_you_know

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
It would.

How many Devs could make a competent RPG with unique characters and races, a defined story and interesting universe?

At least with an RTS they have to get those right as part of the base mechanics of the game
One solid dev is all that's needed.

RTS is to niche. A GAAS MMO would be much more successful.

• haha

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
I honestly don't miss them, they always felt like a full time job which is great when you're young and have no responsibilities. But i ain't trying to work 2 jobs
That is precisely what good designing would need to overcome and what the genre needs to evolve out off.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
One solid dev is all that's needed.

RTS is to niche. A GAAS MMO would be much more successful.
My first post was how it would be easier to make a game faithful to the universe.
Your post is about how it could make the most money.
We are not the same.

Imagine making yet another generic , money grabbing GaaS MMO and thinking it would be successful, lost in a sea of shit.

PlacidusaX

Veteran
24 Oct 2022
My first post was how it would be easier to make a game faithful to the universe.
Your post is about how it could make the most money.
We are not the same.

Imagine making yet another generic , money grabbing GaaS MMO and thinking it would be successful, lost in a sea of shit.
A well done MMO would not only be more successful but would also be a better overall use of the license.

GAAS is where gaming is going and its a beautiful thing.

• haha