Game over? Industry suffers slowdown after decades-long winning streak

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Folks are being overly dramatic. These outlets always mention when there are mass layoffs but never when there are mass hirings. That being said, console gaming peaked in terms of units (consoles sold) in the 7th generation and then it declined to where we are today. It compensated that decline by finding new revenue streams per user, but you can only nickel and dime existing users so much.

I don't think it will suffer a massive decline but it will remain around where we are now. Give or take 200M consoles between the big 3, and if Xbox is no more, some of those users might migrate to PS but not all. Many of those xboxes were secondary consoles from PS or Switch users.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Think bigger than Sony. Sony are doing well for now because they're riding on the coat tails of a record breaking generation. Just like they did with PS2-PS3, just like Microsoft did with the Xbox One or Nintendo with the Wii U, etc.

They all did well before the market changed and pulled the rug from under them. A new player could enter, Microsoft could pull a blinder, the switch 2 could flop and with the big 3 facing a shift in the sands who knows what could happen.

The market is changing, the bubble hasn't popped, but it's stretched to breaking. It's like poetry, it rhymes.
Sony is doing well because of the mindshare hey built with gamers which they built off quality games they offerd and continue to offer and as long as they keep that up they will succeed no matter market trends. Same with Nintendo.. For Sony PS3 was only a bump or variation in this success only because it was so damn expensive but guess what allowed them to continue the success? The same mindshare and killer games ppl expected and wanted. Regardless of shifting or moving of the market, if Sony continues to offer the Gow's, Tlou's, Unchartedes of the world and keep selling competent hardware they will succeed. Xbox thought they were moving with the market and very well had a good idea according to the market but guess what? They killed the mindshare they had with gamers from Xbox 360 gen and that started with the degradation of their ips and bs software that hasn't been on par with Sony's or Nintendo's for over a decade and regardless of following market trends they have been failing. In the end it is about games and quality. Pivot all you want with the market, if you don't have those you'll lose.

All to say regardless of companies if they continue to make quality and not participate in bloat they will do good. You follow trends like Suicide squad devs have done and you die, like Microsoft has done and you lose.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
Thats exactly what happened to mobile gaming, it started off decent before it became the mess it is today.

Not to be snarky but was there a point where it was ever good tbh? As a kid I remember playing this transformers game and just finding the mtx bullshit offputting and I was like screw this I've no money so I'm gonna just pirate psx games lol. Like yeah I'll pay money for those games if the creator is willing to rerelease said game on new platforms but if it isn't then I view it as a viable alternative to mobile gaming lol.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Not to be snarky but was there a point where it was ever good tbh? As a kid I remember playing this transformers game and just finding the mtx bullshit offputting and I was like screw this I've no money so I'm gonna just pirate psx games lol. Like yeah I'll pay money for those games if the creator is willing to rerelease said game on new platforms but if it isn't then I view it as a viable alternative to mobile gaming lol.

Early on mobile games did get console ports and exclusives like an exclusive Mass Effect game,Deus ex and others. There's also those GTA mobile ports and the final fantasy games

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024
the writer here really thought they had a zinger in that headline, but it's definitely giving

fellow-kids-no-text.gif

• haha
Reactions: Snes nes