[Gameindustry.biz] Astro Bot It is really built for PlayStation - Nicolas Doucet

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Astro Bot looks like an amazing game, I can't wait to play it but it's the complete antithesis of modern day Sony. Current Sony has no respect or appreciation for PlayStation, not in the slightest. The game will just highlight how awful Sony has been this generation, and hopefully it will be a much needed wake up call to many of the people that just turn a blind eye to SIE's complacency.

But the game exist because of playstation

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
But the game exist because of playstation
You don't say....that still doesn't refute any of my points. It just shows there's a massive disconnect, which there obviously is

The fact we're even able to legitimately entertain the possibility of an Astro Bot or other (new and/or major) SIE games on a Switch 2, should in itself show the mistake in muddied optics SIE themselves have created.

The cat's out of the bag and I don't think they can put it back in. Nor do they want to.
If anything, Sony probably would want to put it on Switch but Nintendo would decline it because it advertises too many Sony products 🤣

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
This thread INSTANTLY went in the weird/unnecessary direction. Anyways... I think this might be the first platformer from PlayStation that hits that Mario 64 - Crash Bandicoot itch since the last first party Crash game. Hopefully the game is quality and sells well. I also hope PlayStation sees the value in having these creative, traditional gameplay focused smaller teams (shot at Media Molecule).

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: voke

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
This thread INSTANTLY went in the weird/unnecessary direction. Anyways... I think this might be the first platformer from PlayStation that hits that Mario 64 - Crash Bandicoot itch since the last first party Crash game. Hopefully the game is quality and sells well. I also hope PlayStation sees the value in having these creative, traditional gameplay focused smaller teams (shot at Media Molecule).
Crash is a much more Iconic character. But Jak Games>>>>>Crash Games.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Now, Team Asobi has been given the freedom to make a bigger, longer game (12 hours or so) that's not wedded to a piece of PlayStation hardware as an extended tech demo – though it's still a manifest tribute to all things Sony. It incorporates lots of ideas that didn't make it into 2020's game. Astro Bot now flies around between levels on a controller-shaped spaceship whose very exhaust fumes are made up of PlayStation button symbols. Running around a few levels as the adorable robot, I whizzed down a waterslide with a bunch of beach-balls, dived off a high board into a swimming pool, defeated a giant angry octopus by slingshotting myself into its face with a pair of extendable frog-faced boxing gloves, used magnets to gather up metal shards into a ball large enough to smash things with, and inflated Astro like a balloon before propelling him around with expelled gas.

It is extremely cute and funny, and packed with playful detail – I discovered that I could slice up wooden logs with the blast of flame from Astro's jetpack, for no reason other than that it's fun, and when I jumped on to a turtle to see if I could ride on its back, Astro adopted a confident surfing pose. When I found a secret room after tickling some sad-looking anemones, I was greeted with a chorus of "seee-cret!". These details are inconsequential, but as Doucet points out, "they do matter, because all these little things are memories".
The levels are like a solar system that expands slowly outwards, as the challenge builds: towards the middle are the safest places, where a five-year-old could have fun kicking a football about, jumping through water and punching the occasional baddie, and out towards the edges are the most testing levels. There more than 150 little tributes to PlayStation games from PaRappa the Rapper to Journey, in the form of cosplaying robots that you can rescue. Challenge levels put my not-inconsiderable 90s-kid 3D platforming skills to the test with platforms suspended in time and precise jumps over miniature ice rinks suspended in space. It's the most uncomplicated fun I've had playing a game in ages.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
People are not to blame expecting any new Sony game to release on PC, it's Sony fault they themselves build this expectations.
Did they?

The numbers of PC ports are very small and basically old games (except Live Service games no game released on PC before 2 years in the market).

Plus they keep telling you not all games will be ported and don’t expect day one ports.

So I’m not sure where people get in their heads that this expectation.

Most released ports where either old games from near release sequels (or TV show like TLOU) or experimentations… and the response was clear old games releases from near release sequels will sell good… experimentations up to now all failed to sell.

And in the experimentation we can include Returnal that was suppose to be a gente that PC gamers like but well miserably failed on PC.

How many games Somy launched on PC since 2020? It is like 15 games in near 4 years where more than half failed.

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
Did they?

The numbers of PC ports are very small and basically old games (except Live Service games no game released on PC before 2 years in the market).

Plus they keep telling you not all games will be ported and don’t expect day one ports.

So I’m not sure where people get in their heads that this expectation.

Most released ports where either old games from near release sequels (or TV show like TLOU) or experimentations… and the response was clear old games releases from near release sequels will sell good… experimentations up to now all failed to sell.

And in the experimentation we can include Returnal that was suppose to be a gente that PC gamers like but well miserably failed on PC.

How many games Somy launched on PC since 2020? It is like 15 games in near 4 years where more than half failed.
You’re wrong, Sony doesn’t care if a game flopped, they will still push ports. They have extremely low standards, even making 100 dollars profit on PC is amazing to them. All of the ports have done poorly and it doesn’t stop them for porting more.

24 Jun 2022
@ethomaz No dude, just no. They (SIE) have ported almost ALL of their 2020-onward releases to PC by this point. The only games still not on PC are:

-GT7 (likely on the way per the Nvidia leak and PSVR2 PC compatibility now with the dongle on the way)​
-Demon's Souls (potentially on the way per the Nvidia leak and fine print in 2020 marketing adverts that mentioned a PC port which were then scrubbed)​
-Destruction All-Stars (a dead GAAS so no need to port)​
-MLB The Show (odd omission considering it's everywhere else, but a sports game)​
-Spiderman 2 (definitely coming to PC probably in 2025)​

...and that's it. Everything else since 2020 from SIE has already been ported to PC; I did leave TLOU2 Remastered out of the list but it's already been confirmed for a PC release in the near future. So yeah, SIE have absolutely created expectations among people to see their games show up on PC (Steam) at some point. It's not a question of "if" anymore, it's a question of "when".

Crazier still, all of these ports have come about prior to the PS5 Pro's release, and therefore have weakened a considerable amount of the value proposition the PS5 Pro could've relied on to sell towards hardcore/core enthusiasts players. It's part of the reason I don't see it doing as well as the PS4 Pro's 20-something million unit sales.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
@ethomaz No dude, just no. They (SIE) have ported almost ALL of their 2020-onward releases to PC by this point. The only games still not on PC are:

-GT7 (likely on the way per the Nvidia leak and PSVR2 PC compatibility now with the dongle on the way)​
-Demon's Souls (potentially on the way per the Nvidia leak and fine print in 2020 marketing adverts that mentioned a PC port which were then scrubbed)​
-MLB The Show (odd omission considering it's everywhere else, but a sports game)​

...and that's it. Everything else since 2020 from SIE has already been ported to PC; I did leave TLOU2 Remastered out of the list but it's already been confirmed for a PC release in the near future. So yeah, SIE have absolutely created expectations among people to see their games show up on PC (Steam) at some point. It's not a question of "if" anymore, it's a question of "when".

Crazier still, all of these ports have come about prior to the PS5 Pro's release, and therefore have weakened a considerable amount of the value proposition the PS5 Pro could've relied on to sell towards hardcore/core enthusiasts players. It's part of the reason I don't see it doing as well as the PS4 Pro's 20-something million unit sales.
Wrong on what? Looks at the list of games ported... basically they ported nothing to PC yet.
Around 15 games like I said and some are live services.
Most than half flopped.

Compare with the list of PS games released from 2020 to today (because you set that cut).

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023

I'm quite curious to see how GT7 and Demon's Souls will do on PC, I think they are some best shot at doing well on PC and could be the ones that push them to the inevitable day one releases strategy for every game.

I think the sooner we find out if PlayStation will even survive this transition the better.

Sony might be right and somehow every game being on PC doesn't have any significant effect but it they are wrong even something small like a 10% drop in demand come next gen could easily kill the viability of their console business.