Gamepass reneged promises (no longer day one for their FP games, no inclusion of all their owned games)

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Quite interesting to me how Microsoft have reneged on their promises for their subscription service called "Gamepass" :
  1. Starfield had a full week of "Early access" for paying customers only.
  2. Even after merging with ABK, the only game being added is Diablo 4, and only on March 28th.
It's been clear to me for a while that their business model wasn't sustainable, but it's interesting how they have dodged the PR shitstorm by doing practices and essentially reneged on whole promises of the service : day one for their first party and inclusion of all their first party.

I'm sure that they will very slowly trickle in the ABK back catalog, even though they could put all of them in right now.

I also expect them to keep offering "Early access" for paying customers, to essentially get rid of the "day one" promise.

I guess if you were gullible enough to be a MS customer until now, you'll keep taking it.

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
I kinda doubt the line of doomsaying you're pointing at. 1 week of early access for people who paid $90 to play a game isn't betraying subscribers. RE ABK's catalog, I don't think MS is on the hook to get every old version of Tony Hawk in the system overnight.

imo the big way MS is gonna fuck over their users will be simply raising subscription prices.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Zzero
OP
OP
Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I kinda doubt the line of doomsaying you're pointing at. 1 week of early access for people who paid $90 to play a game isn't betraying subscribers. RE ABK's catalog, I don't think MS is on the hook to get every old version of Tony Hawk in the system overnight.

imo the big way MS is gonna fuck over their users will be simply raising subscription prices.
It starts with one week, next game will be two weeks, etc. They get to circumvent the 'day one' promise.

If Netflix produced a movie, then did an exclusive theatre run before putting it on the service, would you still call it a service that offers all content "day one"?

The monetization schemes will only get worst now that they are aiming for viability.

All ABK catalog games could be added now, if they wanted. So clearly they are holding back because, again, they want to milk it as much as possible.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to claim it's a "day one for all first party games" type of service, and do those practices.

Reactions: xollowsob

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
It starts with one week, next game will be two weeks, etc. They get to circumvent the 'day one' promise.

If Netflix produced a movie, then did an exclusive theatre run before putting it on the service, would you still call it a service that offers all content "day one"?

The monetization schemes will only get worst now that they are aiming for viability.

All ABK catalog games could be added now, if they wanted. So clearly they are holding back because, again, they want to milk it as much as possible.

I'm sorry, but you don't get to claim it's a "day one for all first party games" type of service, and do those practices.
Can they really though? What are the specifics of their sell-off agreement with Ubisoft? What are they with other rights holders (example: Tony Hawk for Tony Hawk?)

• thisistheway
Reactions: flaccidsnake

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
It blows my mind that Xbox fans somehow think that Diablo 4 being included on March is good news for them. Why aren't all ABK games being included? Why didn't MS have to explain themselves?

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
one thing i noticed that was a bit of a subtle fuck-you to the customer presented as a re-commitment to the customer was that Sarah Bond was the one that promised that "all ouf our games will always come to gamepass day one" - but Sarah Bond only oversees Xbox Game Studios and not Bethesda or ABK.

I guarantee you that was on purpose.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
one thing i noticed that was a bit of a subtle fuck-you to the customer presented as a re-commitment to the customer was that Sarah Bond was the one that promised that "all ouf our games will always come to gamepass day one" - but Sarah Bond only oversees Xbox Game Studios and not Bethesda or ABK.

I was just thinking that. She also lied in her segment, saying diablo was coming to all 34mil GP subs. Microsoft later clarified it would not be released on GP core.

Zeroing

Veteran
6 Jul 2022
Does PC gamepass finally has the same catalog as xbox gamepass? I tried it some years ago and raised that issue but as usual nobody cared.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
It blows my mind that Xbox fans somehow think that Diablo 4 being included on March is good news for them. Why aren't all ABK games being included? Why didn't MS have to explain themselves?
Have you played diablo 4? I lasted ten minutes before I bailed. Having lag in a single player game is inexcusable.

I wouldn't play that tripe for free. The only time I would, is if they made it true single player.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Does PC gamepass finally has the same catalog as xbox gamepass? I tried it some years ago and raised that issue but as usual nobody cared.
PC gamepass is a bit shit tbf. MS have a lot of RPGs under their umbrella but seems to hate isometric RPGs. They let wasteland 3 die of death, when it was an ace game. They've got Pillars on there but nothing else.

PC Gamepass relies too heavily on EA Pass, which has C&C on there.

Reactions: Zeroing

Polyh3dron

31 Jan 2024

With the FTC still keeping a close eye on all things ABK and the multiple concessions made in order to just get the deal done, it's pretty clear to see why there's some trepidation as to how many ABK games go to Game Pass, and how quickly.

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
All that waiting for some mid? I'm sorry but D4 was incredibly boring to me. The group I played with agrees

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022

Actually I went back and watched again and they did have matt booty say it too. But I still think they're going to stop doing day one on gamepass, maybe with some disguised bullshit like paid beta access

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Ezekiel
OP
OP
Ezekiel

Ezekiel

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Last edited: