Gamers seek legal win that would stop developers from rendering online games unplayable: 'It is an assault on both consumer rights and preservation

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Reactions: Sunrise Ninja

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Its odd that he's targeting France, a week ago Austria and Germany were supposed to be his main targets. And for months prior to that it was supposed to be the US until he actually had a lawyer spoon-feed him caselaw and realized that he'd get an absolute asswhooping delivered upon him in any US court.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Would be nice but I can't see how to enforce it...if a company went out of business for instance.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Nah, they can’t support failed or retired products. That’s just ridiculous.

No one is expecting suicide squad to stay operational and it shouldn’t. Shut it down.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Once again PC wins by default as people have been able to host their own servers since forever. But as always people will say something that has been a reality for over 30years on PC is impossible on console because reasons.

I find it completely silly that devs fail to implement servers in a way that would allow people to play in them as long as there is interest in the game. Part of the responsibility is also shared by the platform holder.

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
I don't see why some are calling this "idiotic". Devs/pubs don't have to support it anymore by maintaining the servers or updating them.

It would be sufficient to release the backend source code or at the very least some form of executable to host a server oneself once EOL is reached.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Honestly, how hard is it to put a patch In where online games are played on private servers or locally on consoles?

I would love to play KOTOR online without the online MMO requirements.