GamesIndustry.biz reports Nintendo are "deep in conversation" with three studios to license out IP

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Christopher Dring from GiBiz recently posted an opinion piece regarding what to expect from Switch successor. Among the interesting things he mentioned in the article was that Nintendo are apparently deep in conversation around making games based on IP they own with 3 studios other than the usual 3rd party partners they work with. Full excerpt below:

I also know that Nintendo is actively meeting with independent developers to find new partners. Some of that is around publishing indie games, which Nintendo does from time-to-time, but it's also seeking studios that could work on some of its IP. Nintendo regularly works with third-party teams, including Bandai Namco, Team Ninja, Platinum Games, MercurySteam, WayForward and Grezzo. But the company is looking to add to that roster, and I know of three studios that are deep in conversation around making games based on Nintendo brands.

Reactions: Arc

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Nintendo seems to have a good track record with this kind of thing, mostly. A few producers get assigned to a random developer along with an IP, and the results end up surprising.

Every generation is only going to up the stakes and resources required to make Nintendo games, so it makes a lot of sense that Nintendo systems that are reliant on Nintendo games in a way that other platforms aren’t, are well covered, by both Nintendo and any good partners they find.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Nintendo seems to have a good track record with this kind of thing, mostly. A few producers get assigned to a random developer along with an IP, and the results end up surprising.

Every generation is only going to up the stakes and resources required to make Nintendo games, so it makes a lot of sense that Nintendo systems that are reliant on Nintendo games in a way that other platforms aren’t, are well covered, by both Nintendo and any good partners they find.
As long as the studio's do the ips justice it's all good.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Eh…

Worked for FZERO GX and partnering with Namco for Smash has surely helped. But everything else I can remember … when Nintendo farmed out their IPs (in particular star fox or low effort dynasty warrior clones) … you knew that stuff was gonna be subpar.

Nintendo originally partnering with Namco for Metroid Prime 4 for instance… would’ve been an abomination and thankfully development went to shit and they had to start over with Retro as they always should have…

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Eh…

Worked for FZERO GX and partnering with Namco for Smash has surely helped. But everything else I can remember … when Nintendo farmed out their IPs (in particular star fox or low effort dynasty warrior clones) … you knew that stuff was gonna be subpar.

Nintendo originally partnering with Namco for Metroid Prime 4 for instance… would’ve been an abomination and thankfully development went to shit and they had to start over with Retro as they always should have…
Yeah tht Starfox was garbage.

Arc

5 Sep 2023
Eh…

That’s why I said mostly. The specter of Star Fox Assault was haunting my post, and there’s been others.

On the whole though, it’s mostly worked out. OG Mario Strikers, Punch Out, and Luigi’s Mansion 2 and 3 earned Next Level Games a buyout. The two you mentioned, of course. Recently Metroid Dread hit a home run. Remakes, but Link’s Awakening, Super Mario RPG, and Advance Wars were all lovely redos.

I feel like there’s more too, but it’s been a minute.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
That’s why I said mostly. The specter of Star Fox Assault was haunting my post, and there’s been others.

On the whole though, it’s mostly worked out. OG Mario Strikers, Punch Out, and Luigi’s Mansion 2 and 3 earned Next Level Games a buyout. The two you mentioned, of course. Recently Metroid Dread hit a home run. Remakes, but Link’s Awakening, Super Mario RPG, and Advance Wars were all lovely redos.

I feel like there’s more too, but it’s been a minute.

Next Level proved they had the stuff with their Punchout reboot for sure. Yeah, Metroid Dread from Mercury Steam worked out too. I liked them both a bunch and as a big fan of both I was happy.

But this sounds like third party publisher partnerships vs finding devs … more along the lines of what they do with Koei tecmo, square, and ubi.

The thing is … I didn’t even hate Assault. Heh.. great version of the star wolf theme in that one too.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think Sony should consider doing this with some of their older, more dormant IP as well.
I like what they did with having Blue point do the Demon Souls Remaster but yeah they can do other things with guidance from the og devs e.g. A new Resistance.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
I like what they did with having Blue point do the Demon Souls Remaster but yeah they can do other things with guidance from the og devs e.g. A new Resistance.
I'm personally thinking even older stuff like Legend of Dragoon, Parappa the Rapper, Siren, etc. Maybe even have an indie jak and daxter.

Reactions: Arc and Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I'm personally thinking even older stuff like Legend of Dragoon, Parappa the Rapper, Siren, etc. Maybe even have an indie jak and daxter.
Sure, some fun (mid tier stuff in terms of budget) would do very well if fun and competent.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023

Christopher Dring from GiBiz recently posted an opinion piece regarding what to expect from Switch successor. Among the interesting things he mentioned in the article was that Nintendo are apparently deep in conversation around making games based on IP they own with 3 studios other than the usual 3rd party partners they work with. Full excerpt below:

I also know that Nintendo is actively meeting with independent developers to find new partners. Some of that is around publishing indie games, which Nintendo does from time-to-time, but it's also seeking studios that could work on some of its IP. Nintendo regularly works with third-party teams, including Bandai Namco, Team Ninja, Platinum Games, MercurySteam, WayForward and Grezzo. But the company is looking to add to that roster, and I know of three studios that are deep in conversation around making games based on Nintendo brands.
Honestly, the list of collaborators is a lot longer than that. So I guess its interesting but would you really be suprised if a Nintendo IP had a game developed by Sega or WBG or even, like a smaller indie team?

Batzy

Veteran
10 Jan 2024
Kirby is naked because he breathes through his skin.
Yum, a Hind.
kirby-hovering-helicopter-557767.1.jpg