[Gamespot] Blooper studio admits it's made "shitty" games in the past. Now, it's out to prove Silent Hill 2 Remake wasn't a one-hit wonder.

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
4387164-editionkeyart.jpg

"The Polish, horror-obsessed studio even admits it's made "shitty" games in the past. Now, it's out to prove Silent Hill 2 Remake wasn't a one-hit wonder built from a trustworthy, pre-existing blueprint. Speaking with Bloober Team less than 24 hours after its newest horror game, Cronos: The New Dawn, was revealed during the latest Xbox Partner Preview, and just two weeks after the Silent Hill 2 Remake parade of praise kicked off, I learned the studio's next project is intended to reinforce a newly emerging narrative: the Bloober Team redemption arc."

For those of you who've played SH2 remake, do you think Bloober's entered a new stage as a developer?

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Well, the game had amazing source material... not an apples to apples comparison exactly. They havent built a great game from scratch yet, although the Medium is underrated. The main problem with their games is how demanding they are for what you see on screen. Happened to Blair Witch as well.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
A huge admission.

As @Systemshock2023 points to, they have two big issues... A technical one and then more importantly in my opinion...the fact they haven't built a game from the ground up that has been a huge hit.

There's a lot to that.... To have the characters, the lore, the vibe.... And then to be able to communicate that to the gamers.

I would like to see them make more games at the level of SH2 remake though.

akira__

29 Sep 2024
Why do developers speak so disrespectfully about their relationship with Microsoft? It's like they just don't care anymore.

They made "The Medium" a timed exclusive for Xbox during its launch window.

And then to have a deal where Xbox is skipped again, and to call that game "the great" and the other "shitty."

We are getting to the point with developers that if they made their arguments on any of the forums, they would be called sony ponies or console warriors.

> yeah we made shitty xbox game, but we didn't push ourselves but now that we did push ourselves. We've been able to create a great game which is a playstation console exclusive.

OP
OP
DarkLordOtaku

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Why do developers speak so disrespectfully about their relationship with Microsoft? It's like they just don't care anymore.

They made "The Medium" a timed exclusive for Xbox during its launch window.

And then to have a deal where Xbox is skipped again, and to call that game "the great" and the other "shitty."

We are getting to the point with developers that if they made their arguments on any of the forums, they would be called sony ponies or console warriors.

> yeah we made shitty xbox game, but we didn't push ourselves but now that we did push ourselves. We've been able to create a great game which is a playstation console exclusive.
I see this story more as an example of a developer recognizing they were still figuring things out with their previous releases, and now feel like they can release games which meet their ideals on a more consistent basis.

OP
OP
DarkLordOtaku

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
Will Bethesda ever admit it?
I really wasn't feeling Fallout 4. I made the foolish decision of playing on the game mode which disables fast travel, only to learn the harsh reality that all the quests in the game would equate to talking to person A on one side of the map, then running to the opposite side of the map to talk to person B, only to have to run back to person A to complete the quest.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Given their next production, Chronos, will be a new IP, if the studio delivers similar quality notes to the SH2 remake, would that change your opinion of them?
I didn’t give any opinion about them.

But if they do a high quality successful new IP then they will prove themselves to the market.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Out of curiosity, did you play and enjoy the SH2 remake?
I did like it.
But original is still better if you ask me… atmosphere is less heavy and there is too many enemies (easy to beat) not giving that sensation of fighting your fear/traumas in dream like the original… maybe it is a issue with the combat because you don’t feel like dream like combat of the original… pegar os you should feel like being drunk? 🤔

The pace is tiring… they added too much fillers that breaks the already good pace of original.

I posted these in the OT.

I recommend everybody to play the original SH2… it is a classic masterpiece even today.

Edit - But hey… REmake 2 is worst than original too… the only better overall better one id REmake.

OP
OP
DarkLordOtaku

DarkLordOtaku

18 Oct 2024
Upper Marlboro, Maryland
I did like it.
But original is still better if you ask me… atmosphere is less heavy and there is too many enemies (easy to beat) not giving that sensation of fighting your fear/traumas in dream like the original… maybe it is a issue with the combat because you don’t feel like dream like combat of the original… pegar os you should feel like being drunk? 🤔

The pace is tiring… they added too much fillers that breaks the already good pace of original.

I posted these in the OT.

I recommend everybody to play the original SH2… it is a classic masterpiece even today.

Edit - But hey… REmake 2 is worst than original too… the only better overall better one id REmake.
Do you feel this way about all remakes, or are there any you feel surpassed the original?

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Do you feel this way about all remakes, or are there any you feel surpassed the original?
Not all remakes… some feel better than originals.

Demon’s Souls for example while I feel the Tower of Latria lost the dark atmosphere of the original it is a small matter compared with the overall improvements… so the remake is better than original.

REmake can be said to have lost a bit of the charm of the original but it add so much more than is what I take as a remake example of how improve over the original.

But the others I listed… well REmake 2 miss so much content to even I consider it as good as original… REmake 3 is even worst.
And I did not play enough RE4 (bored me to sleep before even reach the village) to even wish to play REmake 4… I have no opinion here.

• Heart
Reactions: DarkLordOtaku