Gaming giant Steam accused of ripping off 14m UK gamers

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Maybe MS was rigth when they threatned to turn the UK into a wasteland. This is some stupid shit.

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
Gaming "giant"?
La Bomba Laugh GIF by Movistar Plus+
Ehh yes? Unless you're the type that doesnt see the word "Platform" and goes into a smug gif spewing rant whilst knowing exactly what they meant?

Steam is bigger than Sony's store, Nintendo E-shop and Xbox store. Name a bigger one. I double dare ya.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Ehh yes? Unless you're the type that doesnt see the word "Platform" and goes into a smug gif spewing rant whilst knowing exactly what they meant?

Steam is bigger than Sony's store, Nintendo E-shop and Xbox store combined. Name a bigger one. I double dare ya.
He has a hate boner for Steam and PC users. He hates them, for no reason. I think it's an inferiority complex or he's just trolling. Some of his takes are so bad that they're funny.

118 million mau on playstation. 130 million on steam according to Google. So if steam isn't a giant, neither is playstation

Reactions: Systemshock2023

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
He has a hate boner for Steam and PC users. He hates them, for no reason. I think it's an inferiority complex or he's just trolling. Some of his takes are so bad that they're funny.

118 million mau on playstation. 130 million on steam according to Google. So if steam isn't a giant, neither is playstation
Steam existed way before any other platforms or storefronts. Of course its the biggest. You have to be some next level basement dweller to deny this.

Oh and lacking a part of a functioning brain. I didnt even have to look up the numbers here. Common sense does the math for me.
He must get a raging boner when posting shit like this.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Steam existed way before any other platforms or storefronts. Of course its the biggest. You have to be some next level basement dweller to deny this.

Oh and lacking a part of a functioning brain. I didnt even have to look up the numbers here. Common sense does the math for me.
Have a look through the PC threads he posts, they're entertaining. According to him the PC is dying, Steam is a waste of money and will shut down at any moment, PC players should have to pay for PSN because he has to and console is a better place to play because mods, cheap games and 9 generations of backwards compatibility don't count.

Monkeyclaw

29 May 2024
Have a look through the PC threads he posts, they're entertaining. According to him the PC is dying, Steam is a waste of money and will shut down at any moment, PC players should have to pay for PSN because he has to and console is a better place to play because mods, cheap games and 9 generations of backwards compatibility don't count.
"Champion goalpost mover of the year" award material right there. You can't nitpick what suits only your agenda. Holy shit. That's weak.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: xollowsob

Evil Aloy

3 May 2024
Gaming "giant"?

In 2023 Steam had total revenue of 12 billion dollars. Source:

On that front, we do actually have a new estimate for Steam’s total gross platform revenue in 2023, calculated from daily sales for every single game on the platform (!) with our friends at Gamalytic. It’s $12 billion - including IAP/DLC revenue.

You know how much Nintendo made in 2023? 11.8 billion. Let that sink in. Then think about if Sony should keep feeding them AAA games so that they can grow even larger.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
UK always trying to cripple American companies through litigation, they are so jealous. The United States military really needs to stop protecting these people.

• haha
Reactions: Would_you_kindly

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Overcharge? How? Steam sales are notorious for games being cheap af. Nothing sold on Steam is any more expensive than elsewhere usually.
Gaming "giant"?
Stea is synonymous with pc gaming. It is THE store almost all publishers put their games on. It has millions of users. Yes it's a giant.

• Peachy
Reactions: Cool hand luke

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Sounds like bs. Is it the same "games are expensive for lower income people" argument all over again?
I mean, they are expensive for poor people. $70 games ain't no joke. But also those $70 games are $70 elsewhere so I dunno what they mean by overcharging. I guess technically digital games should be cheaper than physical but the industry seems to have collectively decided they should have price parity.

enpleinjour

Icon Extra
24 Mar 2023

You know how much Nintendo made in 2023? 11.8 billion. Let that sink in. Then think about if Sony should keep feeding them AAA games so that they can grow even larger.

Steams estimated revenue was $7-8B by companies that have far more data than that newsletter. Lets be generous and say its had big growth and its now $9B.

Xbox = $7B+
PS = $15B+
Nintendo = $7B+

This is without counting all physical revenue which is huge for PS and Nintendo and sub service revenue like GP/Extra/Premium.

TrishaCat

17 May 2024
Steams estimated revenue was $7-8B by companies that have far more data than that newsletter. Lets be generous and say its had big growth and its now $9B.

Xbox = $7B+
PS = $15B+
Nintendo = $7B+

This is without counting all physical revenue which is huge for PS and Nintendo and sub service revenue like GP/Extra/Premium.
This lowers it to be comparable to Xbox and Nintendo so that still makes it a gaming giant though. Steam isn't some small no name store

enpleinjour

Icon Extra
24 Mar 2023
This lowers it to be comparable to Xbox and Nintendo so that still makes it a gaming giant though. Steam isn't some small no name store

Sure buts its lower in the ranks.
Nintendo if it counted 100% digital and physical revenue, should be somewhere closer to $10B.
PS with 100% physical should be closer to $20B.

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024

Xbox = $7B+
PS = $15B+
Nintendo = $7B+

Revenue is not profit.
Steam is not just PC, it competes with key sellers, Xbox and EGS.
People can buy a game for pennies on Steam and play it for years and 1000s of hours.

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo make you rebuy remasters/remakes when mods are free on PC. They also charge you subscription and feeds into their revenue. That extra revenue from subs can't be counted when comparing with steam, who only sells games.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Steam's more around 7-8b, with Sony at 30. Steam's a lil tike in the world of gaming giants.

Cool hand luke

Veteran
14 Feb 2023

Steam is bigger than Sony's store, Nintendo E-shop and Xbox store. Name a bigger one. I double dare ya.
PSN