Gears Of War Designer Wants To See The Franchise On PS5

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
*We know he likes to try to stay in the Gears convo although he's long been detached from it but just some reinforcement to the change in thinking by many.

He starts by Quoting X - US President Ronald Regan..

"Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!" he said. "I think that's what Phil Spencer's going for. He's going for the Netflix model. That started with Xbox Game Pass and then, like Netflix, they realized they need to be on every device. People have been joking about Gears of War coming to PlayStation for well over like a decade and, you know, I think 'the more, the merrier.' If people own a PS5 and get to play and experience the next-gen Gears games, that means more Gears of War tattoos."

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Phil Spencer isn't going for that, Microsoft is.
As I remember the first of the many times both Spencer and Nadella mentioned that they wanted to bring their games everywhere to reach the 2/3 Billion players in the world was in 2017.

According to wikipedia, the year Spencer was promoted to the Senior Leadership Team, gaining the title of Executive Vice President of Gaming and reporting directly to CEO Satya Nadella.

3 years after Spencer became lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Groove Music and Movies & TV teams, and Microsoft Studios as part of the Windows and Devices division.

Spencer and Nadella said it for 7 years and now are starting to bring their Xbox Game Studios internally developed titles to rival consoles, in addition to the timed exclusives from companies they recently bought.

I think there may be only another important person involved in this move, which is the Xbox CFO. Who already said when acquired Bethesda that their plan for them weren't permanent consoles exclusives but instead their games 'first, best or better' in Xbox. But the CGO is under Phil, who is under Nadella. So I don't think there's nobody else in MS forcing them to do so, even if I assume many may be pressuring to turn their gaming business into a profitable one, and to kill their console and go full multiplatform would help.

Many people may give them reports and numbers, but I'd say important decisions like these ones at least are greenlighted by Phil -who always also said wanted to end with the console wars- and Nadella.

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Phil Spencer isn't going for that, Microsoft is.
Phill will go anywhere the top execs wants.
That is why he was never removed from the position even with lackbuster results.

He is a guy that MS can control very easy to do their dirty job.
He will shift 180 from a day to another if MS wants.

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I mean no one will really care now. That should have been with Gears 2

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
As I remember the first of the many times both Spencer and Nadella mentioned that they wanted to bring their games everywhere to reach the 2/3 Billion players in the world was in 2017.

According to wikipedia, the year Spencer was promoted to the Senior Leadership Team, gaining the title of Executive Vice President of Gaming and reporting directly to CEO Satya Nadella.

3 years after Spencer became lead the Xbox, Xbox Live, Groove Music and Movies & TV teams, and Microsoft Studios as part of the Windows and Devices division.

Spencer and Nadella said it for 7 years and now are starting to bring their Xbox Game Studios internally developed titles to rival consoles, in addition to the timed exclusives from companies they recently bought.

I think there may be only another important person involved in this move, which is the Xbox CFO. Who already said when acquired Bethesda that their plan for them weren't permanent consoles exclusives but instead their games 'first, best or better' in Xbox. But the CGO is under Phil, who is under Nadella.

Many people may give them reports and numbers, but I'd say important decisions like these ones at least are greenlighted by Phil -who always also said wanted to end with the console wars- and Nadella.
Just an opinion related here.

With the results Xbox showed all these years it was a surprise how Nadella holds strong with the previous strategy until 2024.
Most CEO will try to change strategies way early in search for great results.
And most CEO will be replaced with few years of results that Xbox showed.
But I understand the rest of Microsoft give him some white card with Xbox until now.

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Great games technically. Coalition is best in class UE developer. But those new gears kids are lame AF.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that a remastered or remade Gears collection (maybe split into two trilogy volumes) would be one of the few MS games I'd buy on PS.

Just an opinion related here.

With the results Xbox showed all these years it was a surprise how Nadella holds strong with the previous strategy until 2024.
Most CEO will try to change strategies way early in search for great results.
And most CEO will be replaced with few years of results that Xbox showed.
But I understand the rest of Microsoft give him some white card with Xbox until now.
Well, I think their current strategy is just another step more inside the same strategy they had since the moment they decided to acquire Minecraft, port their first party games to PC.

I think their long term strategy was to grow their gaming business with acquired big brands and expand to all gaming platforms including rival consoles and mobile but moving from having as their home platform from Xbox to Windows. Their long term goal would be to end being the top grossing gaming company in the world.

I assume they decided to make it slowly, step by step to don't make their Xbox fans angry.

The number of AAA game players isn't big enough to have a "Netflix of gaming", and even less if not having that service in PS and Nintendo devices. They knew that before deciding to put their games day one on GP. So maybe what they wanted was to give the players more reasons to pivot from Xbox ot PC and to start to make their fans more used to see their games in other places.

Same as aquiring companies and letting them multi: they acquired them for the money they make in other platforms, which never planned to leave in the table.

I think they always (at least since 2017 or 2014) wanted to end having their games everywhere, if possible using a MS store in all platforms to don't pay the 30% to the platform holders. To turn "every screen into a Xbox" as Sarah Bond recently said.

Seeing it in that way is the only way I found that makes sense as strategy that could work, making sense all these dozens of billions spent and burnt doing financially suicide stuff during many years. It helps them justify to go chasing to be the top 1 gaming company as multiplatform publisher with Windows as base platform, supported by the cloud.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I think that a remastered or remade Gears collection (maybe split into two trilogy volumes) would be one of the few MS games I'd buy on PS.

Well, I think their current strategy is just another step more inside the same strategy they had since the moment they decided to acquire Minecraft, port their first party games to PC.

I think their long term strategy was to grow their gaming business with acquired big brands and expand to all gaming platforms including rival consoles and mobile but moving from having as their home platform from Xbox to Windows. Their long term goal would be to end being the top grossing gaming company in the world.

I assume they decided to make it slowly, step by step to don't make their Xbox fans angry.

The number of AAA game players isn't big enough to have a "Netflix of gaming", and even less if not having that service in PS and Nintendo devices. They knew that before deciding to put their games day one on GP. So maybe what they wanted was to give the players more reasons to pivot from Xbox ot PC and to start to make their fans more used to see their games in other places.

Same as aquiring companies and letting them multi: they acquired them for the money they make in other platforms, which never planned to leave in the table.

I think they always (at least since 2017 or 2014) wanted to end having their games everywhere, if possible using a MS store in all platforms to don't pay the 30% to the platform holders. To turn "every screen into a Xbox" as Sarah Bond recently said.

Seeing it in that way is the only way I found that makes sense as strategy that could work, making sense all these dozens of billions spent and burnt doing financially suicide stuff during many years. It helps them justify to go chasing to be the top 1 gaming company as multiplatform publisher with Windows as base platform, supported by the cloud.
Yup Gears remake I'd buy, one and only series I'd care for.

Reactions: flaccidsnake

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Yup Gears remake I'd buy, one and only series I'd care for.
Flight Simulator Airplane GIF by NVIDIA GeForce

• haha
Reactions: Gamernyc78

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
Yeah, but putting gears on PS5 isn't going to do much honestly.
An original trilogy remaster collection would sell on PS5. 4 is the ugly duckling of the franchise that makes it hard to carry newcomers into whatever comes next.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Ooshit gears on playstation the world gone mad like the gears song its a mad world