Gears of War’s Cliff Bleszinski hopes it can “get back to the fear”

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Cliff, your fans were saying this since the second game, you gaslit them, told them they were wrong and you chased the sweet casual money.

The series could have stayed dark and gritty, you chose otherwise. It's too late to come crawling back now you washed up old hack

Reactions: Gamernyc78

TheLastOfSnatcher

6 Feb 2023
In my eyes, MS killed Halo, Forza and Gears with Gears 5.

You can't find anyone to play online now in days. Gears 5 was such a disappointment. I played it for many hours, but surely it started to sink on me how inferior the game was in comparison to the OG trilogy.

Campaign was literally not finished. I still don't understand how bots defend it. Rod introduced the "open world areas" in the game making the game seem bigger. However, under a scope, you can clearly see why it was implemented and it was to add supplemental artificial padding to the length of the game. There's so many cut corners everyhere you look in this game that further emphasizes why this game was rushed and crap out the door.

Do I have faith with G6 under a new engine? Hmmm no. I still believe it will be the same Gears (albeit shinier) but they will continue the embarrassing Kate storyline and most likely they will retcon one of the endings of G5, and choose their main conclusion making the "choice" ending of G5 completely pointless.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom

Bleszinski suggests that the series “Get back to the fear,” saying it was “Phil Spencer’s point when [Microsoft] bought the IP, he told Rod [Fergusson], ‘get back to some of that scariness’. That’s the thing, I’m a big believer in the cycle of fear and then empowerment.

“Do a game on Emergence Day where you’re maybe Marcus or maybe somebody in the COG and you’re dealing with the chaos and f***ing up Locust, but then alternate between that storyline and [one where] you’re just a kid without any weapons.”

Bleszinki adds that it could be a “monster in the closet kind of vibe” amid the chaos from Emergence Day. “I think that can be really compelling. Kind of like if Joel and Ellie were completely split up, you know, during The Last of Us.
It was never scary (except that part with the berserker lol)

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Most overrated series ever.
No!

Amazing trilogy for its time. Everything after 3 can be ignored.

Gears Judgement was where everyone hopped off the Franchise and Epic pretty much realized the series had run its course and sold it off to Xbox.

27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
In my eyes, MS killed Halo, Forza and Gears with Gears 5.

You can't find anyone to play online now in days. Gears 5 was such a disappointment. I played it for many hours, but surely it started to sink on me how inferior the game was in comparison to the OG trilogy.

Campaign was literally not finished. I still don't understand how bots defend it. Rod introduced the "open world areas" in the game making the game seem bigger. However, under a scope, you can clearly see why it was implemented and it was to add supplemental artificial padding to the length of the game. There's so many cut corners everyhere you look in this game that further emphasizes why this game was rushed and crap out the door.

Do I have faith with G6 under a new engine? Hmmm no. I still believe it will be the same Gears (albeit shinier) but they will continue the embarrassing Kate storyline and most likely they will retcon one of the endings of G5, and choose their main conclusion making the "choice" ending of G5 completely pointless.
The beginning of gears 4 was boring af but it got better after a while , gears 5 started out good but got worse & the ending was terrible felt really rushed

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
No!

Amazing trilogy for its time. Everything after 3 can be ignored.

Gears Judgement was where everyone hopped off the Franchise and Epic pretty much realized the series had run its course and sold it off to Xbox.

Truth be told I only played the story campaigns and they were pretty average and short from what I remember.

Never played the online modes.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Truth be told I only played the story campaigns and they were pretty average and short from what I remember.

You sound like me but the opposite. I dabbled a little in sp but mainly tried the mp but it was nothing I was missing and moved on quickly.

Reactions: Muddasar

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023

Well the online portions back in the day was great and that's what most cared about and its horde mode was definitely influential for its time.

Reactions: Muddasar