German market grew by 6% to around 9.97 billion euros in 2023 | Consoles +44% YoY; Gaming PCs -17% YoY

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sony aren't fudging their hardware numbers that's you making that up, hence the gif.
All numbers are fudged. In the case of this article, are these numbers sold in (to retailers) or sold through (to customers).
Take a look at the descrepency on Sony's own website:
50 million PS5 vs 54 million PS5

If someone wanted to paint the industry in a healthier light, they would use sold in (54 million) vs sold through (50 million).

Before spamming gifs like a gotcha, take a minute to consider how hardware sales are up, but online revenue is stagnant YoY. More people are buying consoles, but fewer people are playing games?

Lmao I have that dude blocked. He genuinely has no clue what he's talking about and to hear he's resorted to "the numbers are fake" when faced with the dire state of PC is no surprise and validates my decision. I suggest everyone does the same and leaves him to whimper in the dark.
I'll take that as a badge of honour. Your hate-boner for PC and jumping at shadows for every post is boring shtick.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
All numbers are fudged. In the case of this article, are these numbers sold in (to retailers) or sold through (to customers).

If someone wanted to paint the industry in a healthier light, they would use sold in (54 million) vs sold through (50 million).

Before spamming gifs like a gotcha, take a minute to consider how hardware sales are up, but online revenue is stagnant YoY. More people are buying consoles, but fewer people are playing games?

I'll take that as a badge of honour. Your hate-boner for PC and jumping at shadows for every post is boring shtick.
Sony have always used both sold in and sold through, there is a clear distinction between them.

There is no fudging numbers here, other then you thinking that in your head.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Lmao I have that dude blocked. He genuinely has no clue what he's talking about and to hear he's resorted to "the numbers are fake" when faced with the dire state of PC is no surprise and validates my decision. I suggest everyone does the same and leaves him to whimper in the dark.
Waaaaay ahead of you. Just a braindead astroturfer.

panda-zebra

2 Mar 2024
NW UK
That's not a discrepancy, that's 2 different data points at two different times. What exactly are you looking at there that's a problem?

They reached the 50 million installed ps5 consoles milestone on December 9th, 3 weeks later they had 54.8 million ps5s in the chain.

Why the tinfoil hat? The numbers seem as they should for that time of year and those 2 dates. Not that any of that has anythign at all to do with this german yearly sales report...

On topic, Germany has long leaned to PC gaming more than others, if that's equalising a little in recent years that's interesting stuff. There's certain titles and genres that do better there than elsewhere. The most eye-opening info is the additional slide - seeing such stark and rounded shares of the pie for in-app/-n-game purchases being 1/3 of console game spending, 2/3 of PC and effectively 100% of mobile.

Last edited:

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
Sony have always used both sold in and sold through, there is a clear distinction between them.

There is no fudging numbers here, other then you thinking that in your head.
That's not a discrepancy, that's 2 different data points at two different times. What exactly are you looking at there that's a problem?

They reached the 50 million installed ps5 consoles milestone on December 9th, 3 weeks later they had 54.8 million ps5s in the chain.

Why the tinfoil hat? The numbers seem as they should for that time of year and those 2 dates. Not that any of that has anythign at all to do with this german yearly sales report...
I know it's easy to focus on Sony on a Sony forum, especially as I've discussed Sony as an example but it isn't Sony posting the fudging. I'll clarify.

Sony are outselling Xbox, that's a given. Sony are tracking around PS4 sales like for like. Depending on which number you look at, they're either slightly behind or ahead.

However, the number fudging comes from the industry at large. The numbers must go up, graph must look good, so they will fudge the numbers that make it look like numbers go up, not just from Sony, or Microsoft but from the industry at large.

The Circana thread is the same, one of the other posters on here caught them with their pants down. Adjusted for inflation the industry is worse now than ten years ago, even worse when considering amount of players.

Unfortunately because of the forced nicely nicely of most forums nowadays I have to explain and reason with posters, who, IF they were on another forum I'd call them fucking retards for being so pig shit stupid. However, this isn't another forum so I won't do that.

Waaaaay ahead of you. Just a braindead astroturfer.
Case in point.

Reactions: Gediminas

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Microsoft were caught fudging their sales numbers. I don't doubt Sony are too. No idea what the gif was for?

Numbers across the board, from hardware to software sales, from player engagement to MAU are fudged. Look at the Circana sales thread, no adjusting for inflation or spend per person. Because real numbers aren't rosy.
This data comes from consumer surveys, there's no "fudging" from Microsoft or Sony to be had

xollowsob

Veteran
6 Jan 2024
This data comes from consumer surveys, there's no "fudging" from Microsoft or Sony to be had
That's what I'm saying. Microsoft and Sony release numbers for selling to retailers or customers. The numbers are the numbers.
How they're presented by surveys et Al have more play in how they're presented.

YoY can mean a solid 12 months or a rolling 12 months. +44% seems high with so few software incentives to buy and so few price drops.

Gaming PC spend down 17%; does that mean hardware or software? Hardware I can understand because how many people are buying top notch GPUs to run poorly optimised games that run better on a console?

Both MS and Sony should be dropping their prices to take players away from PC, not doing the opposite by porting games. How are consoles up 44% but subscriptions down? Have all those new players bought a console and not purchased PSN or gamepass?

My point in all of this is:
Numbers are numbers, but like always, there's no explanation behind them and little reasoning.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Microsoft were caught fudging their sales numbers. I don't doubt Sony are too. No idea what the gif was for?

Numbers across the board, from hardware to software sales, from player engagement to MAU are fudged. Look at the Circana sales thread, no adjusting for inflation or spend per person. Because real numbers aren't rosy.
?

Sony are having records numbers.