Ghost of Tsushima now features crossplay between PC and PS5

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
They should remove PS+ requirement for all 1st party games with crossplay. It's only right, I can't even play legends anymore cuz I bought it for console and I'm never renewing my PS+ ever again.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

The guy have no ideia what he is talking about.
Sony doesn’t develop games to Linux or Proton… they develop games to Windows.

Proton is based in Wine that tries to emulate Windows libraries to run Windows executable.

If any executable (that include game) can’t run using Proton it is a Proton issue because the game runs fine on Windows.

You need to blame Proton team and not Sony.

• Shake
Reactions: 2spooky5me

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
What is Proton?
It is a tool that internally uses Wine (a set of libraries that translate the Windows applications to run inside the Linux) to make games developed to Windows run on Linux.

It is how Valve and Linux fans as pushing games to Linux.
That is a wrong path imo... if you can't do developers to create native games to Linux then you failed to support the Linux as a gaming platform.
Using a compatibility layer or emulation to make windows games run on Linux is not support the platform.
It just a bandaid.

And whatever issue exists can't be blamed on developer or publisher... all issues have to be blamed and fixed by Proton team.
After all the game has no issue on Windows... so something is not right in the compatibility layer and/or emulation.

BTW that is how Proton and Wine describe themselves:

Proton is a tool for use with the Steam client which allows games which are exclusive to Windows to run on the Linux operating system. It uses Wine to facilitate this.
Wine (originally an acronym for "Wine Is Not an Emulator") is a compatibility layer capable of running Windows applications on several POSIX-compliant operating systems, such as Linux, macOS, & BSD. Instead of simulating internal Windows logic like a virtual machine or emulator, Wine translates Windows API calls into POSIX calls on-the-fly, eliminating the performance and memory penalties of other methods and allowing you to cleanly integrate Windows applications into your desktop.

Last edited:
  • Shake
Reactions: Entropi

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
When people understand that they will stop to blame the developer/publisher that made and tested the game to run on Windows.
No they still deserve blame, there are plenty of games that run natively on Linux, Sony should do the same.

• haha
Reactions: ethomaz

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
It is a tool that internally uses Wine (a set of libraries that translate the Windows applications to run inside the Linux) to make games developed to Windows run on Linux.

It is how Valve and Linux fans as pushing games to Linux.
That is a wrong path imo... if you can't do developers to create native games to Linux then you failed to support the Linux as a gaming platform.
Using a compatibility layer or emulation to make windows games run on Linux is not support the platform.
It just a bandaid.

And whatever issue exists can't be blamed on developer or publisher... all issues have to be blamed and fixed by Proton team.
After all the game has no issue on Windows... so something is not right in the compatibility layer and/or emulation.

BTW that is how Proton and Wine describe themselves:

Why would SP be concerned about making GoT run on a Windows emulator for Linux lol. But, I know that type of “gamer”, so I’m not surprised.

Is the Linux gaming market even that popular to recover the costs of a port?

Reactions: ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
No they still deserve blame, there are plenty of games that run natively on Linux, Sony should do the same.
And your point it?
Sony never did a game for Linux... it runs via translation/emulation so you have to talk with the emulator/translator dev why it is not working 🤷‍♂️

ethomaz

Rebolation!
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Reactions: Entropi

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
And your point it?
Sony never did a game for Linux... it runs via translation/emulation so you have to talk with the emulator/translator dev why it is not working 🤷‍♂️
my point is they should be supporting Linux natively