Giant Bomb: "Final Fantasy XVI's Sales Numbers Are Probably Ahead of What Square Enix Were Even Expecting

Unchained

5 Dec 2022

According to folks at Giant Bomb, Final Fantasy XVI's first sales data (3M copies in less than a week) are probably ahead of Square Enix's expectations.

Jan: "I think that's very impressive, especially when we consider how hesitant and scared Square was with the small pre-order numbers and everything. With only 40M PS5's, and this being a very different Final Fantasy, i think this is a good pace."

Grubb: "They did a good job of taking whatever momentum they had and really amplifying it with a lot of great word of mouth out of that demo and seemed to be the thing that really powered it over the finish line here and got it off to a really strong start. 3M copies sold, I think this is probably ahead of what they were even expecting for something on a PlayStation 5, that again, only 40M units out there. I also think this is a game that is going to sell well into the PlayStation 5's life."

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
These shitheads just making shit up..

One day pre-orders are low, next minute, sales are too good. 😂

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Jeff Grubb needs to invite Imran and ask him where he heard those BS rumors. Hundreds of pages were made about this FUD to destroy this PS5 exclusive.

I hope they reach 6 millions faster than FFXV did to shut them up for good.

FF16 is the GOAT in the series.

ultimateFF

Veteran
29 Jun 2023
Jeff Grubb needs to invite Imran and ask him where he heard those BS rumors. Hundreds of pages were made about this FUD to destroy this PS5 exclusive.

I hope they reach 6 millions faster than FFXV did to shut them up for good.

FF16 is the GOAT in the series.
There's some truth in that bad pre-order rumor probably, before Sony marketing machine + exceptional demo reception completely turned around the situation

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Gods&Monsters

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
There's some truth in that bad pre-order rumor probably, before Sony marketing machine + exceptional demo reception completely turned around the situation
Possibly but I think most people trying the demo already had an interest and were going to get the game anyway.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
They are making ship up.

Said that I feel like Square Enix expected FFXVI to sell less than FFXV after all the backslash with that game.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
It might be true that preorders were below expectations (hell, we even had Yoshi-P practically begging people to buy a ps5 to play the game), but Imran Khan was 100% guessing/pulling shit out of his ass because nothing indicates he has sources inside Squenix to a level that would indicate he has knowledge of how they feel about game performance.

sugarbetik

Banned
30 Jun 2023
That was speculation from Grubb, we need to see more in the upcoming months to see how it goes.

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
I like how the internet has ran with that unsubstantiated pre order lie as fact, even though sells are evidence otherwise.

Eternal_Wings

Dein Nomos
24 Jun 2022
More and more evidence that Sony will acquire Square Enix. Sony would be cursed if they would sleep again on no brainer, line they did with Atlus and Fromsoftware. Square Enix on the rise to bloom.

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
If VII Remake and XVI are not what makes the series more broad appealing than nothing was ever going to do it anyway.

XVI is Game of Thrones + God of War + Final Fantasy and it's awesome.