God of War Ragnarök biggest launch in franchise history.

RE4-Station

Resident Evil Guru
Content Creator
28 Jun 2022
I'm interested if this game can sell 10 million before the end of the year

PlacidusaX

Veteran
Icon Extra
24 Oct 2022
It released at a time when people were thirsty.
Perfect time frame and I hope this causes Sony to start having a big fall release now on.

Yobo

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2022
Per some of the comics, Kratos has already been in Egypt. I wonder if he'll go back there. It would make a fun game. The problem is that the timeline would be messed up. Sparta takes place around 400 BC. GoW 2018 occurs at an unspecified time, but after he visited Egypt. Even if we assume GoW takes place just a few years after the original games, we're already at late era ancient egypt and getting dangerously close to the Ptolemaic period. I can't imagine the game occurring during this period or the roman one though, as deities were already changing into an hybrid of egyptian and greek.
This is a world where giant gods fought in Greek cities against Titans, giant snakes wrap around the fictional world of midgard which is filled with elves and dwarves. I dont think the real world timeline matters much at all

I mean Kratos apparently featured in both the war of Troy and the 300 Spartans, which were a thousands years apart in real life

Reactions: Alabtrosmyster

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Per some of the comics, Kratos has already been in Egypt. I wonder if he'll go back there. It would make a fun game. The problem is that the timeline would be messed up. Sparta takes place around 400 BC. GoW 2018 occurs at an unspecified time, but after he visited Egypt. Even if we assume GoW takes place just a few years after the original games, we're already at late era ancient egypt and getting dangerously close to the Ptolemaic period. I can't imagine the game occurring during this period or the roman one though, as deities were already changing into an hybrid of egyptian and greek.
Not sure but I think the series featured time travelling before, but it features multidimensional travels to travel to other 'worlds'. So if needed they could Egiptian gods or whatever other mythology that wouldn't match chronology in another dimension and travel there. Or to include some witch time travel spell. Or well, since it's fantasy stuff they can simply ignore the real chronology.

Regarding the comics, I woulnd't take them as canon. But if they make canon that Kratos visited Egypt before going to the Nordic lands, they can make a game of that portion of the story bringing angry Kratos again. Btw, in a GoW 2018 concept art was shown that they originally considered the Egyptian mithology originally for that game. And well, Egypt is also hinted in GoW 2018. So if they want to place it there, it could fit. Or well, Angrboda would fit better in Egypt than in Nordic lands of a ton of centuries ago. They can say that one of her parents is from there because some bad guy God is going to kill them, needs help and well, she gets help.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
It released at a time when people were thirsty.
Perfect time frame and I hope this causes Sony to start having a big fall release now on.

I dont think sony ever intentionally avoided the fall.

They had a fall release for Spider-man, Death Stranding, Gran Turismo Sport, Last guardian, all the PS5 launch titles…etc

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Comments after completing the game. Plot points will be in spoiler tags
  • Story is great. It's IMO the best narrative in any Sony game so far, and probably amongst the best ever
  • Gameplay is super fun. They changed just enough to make it better and to evolve it beyond the previous game
  • It has a lot more verticality, which makes for more complex level design and faster paced combat overall in some sections
  • Incredible variety of puzzles and enemies. It goes way beyond the previous game (with some of the same style of puzzles returning, of course)
  • Graphically it's a gorgeous game. Some realms are barely changed from the previous game, while others (the new realms) look absolutely amazing.
On the story

The main plot twist with Týr actually being Odin in disguise caught me completely off guard. Contrary to many youtubers and reviewers, a lot of stuff didn't surprise me, like Thor finally understanding that Odin was an absolute dickhead and refusing to continue fighting Kratos. To note that while I expected it, it was really well built.

One of the things I'm very happy with is how subtle some character building is done and then wrapped around. One such example is when Heimdall tells Kratos that he has never been worship and is, in essence, a mindless killing machine. This then comes back at the very end when Kratos sees the hidden jötnar panel showing how his path ends with him helping to rebuild and actually being seen as a model / someone to be worshipped for his contributions.

Finally, the game does make sure to keep you on your toes about Atreus / Loki killing Kratos, and I never felt this would not be the case until it doesn't happen. Ragnarok ends in a very positive note, and I think they kept an open door for both another Kratos adventure (would be stupid not to) on the same realm or a different one, and for an Atreus spin-off.

If we consider this game as a PS4 game (which it is), it's game of the generation for me, surpassing The Last of Us Pt II and Red Dead Redemption 2.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It has to be, there are a bunch of digital edition ps5s out there!
I mean some companies have akready stated digital sales are like 70% of their sales so I'm guessing at least half wuth GOW are digital but I'm sure it's higher.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
SPOILER : DON'T READ THIS QUOTED MESSAGE AND MY REPLY IF YOU DIDN'T COMPLETE THE GAME

Spoilery stuff about what they may do in their next entry:
I think they kept an open door for both another Kratos adventure (would be stupid not to) on the same realm or a different one, and for an Atreus spin-off.
Santa Monica mentioned that they originally played to tell the Nordic arc in 3 games but finally did it on two games. That the series will continue but that this arc ends here move to other mithology.

But I assume that even if their main next game may be in another mithology, they could make a DLC with extra content / Morales-like short spinoff for this game: with Kratos killing monsters and helping villagers with quests to 'help rebuild' the realms and becoming worshipped in one side and then in other side Atreus and the diverse and inclusive girls searching the stuff they said want to search.

In the case of Thor's daughter I assume she may want to help Kratos and become a great Valkyrie warrior to protect the realms, and in the case of Atreus and Angrboda I assume they'll search the remaining giants and particularly some Angrboda's family that could be giants/gods from other mithology (I'd say Egyptian -reason of she being blac- or Hindu -reason of she using Holi-like colored powder in her attacks-).

That DLC could end with Atreus and Angrboda finding out that some bad guy god of that other mythology is chasing her family so they travel there to save them but when they arrive they get in trouble needing Kratos' help and via some sort of sorcery multidimensional gate ask him for help and bring him there. He leaves the nordic lands being worshipped and having completed her job there, and goes to save his son and also to 'bring them peace, justice and freedom' to that other land (American politically correct way to say he'll go to kill a ton of people, mostly the ones in charge).

So that DLC/short spinoff of Ragnarok would act as a bridge to complete a few open things from Ragnarok and to transition to the next mythology, keeping everything ready to start the next main game and arc there. Maybe to have a 50% of female leads, a woman would travel with Kratos. I think Freya would remain in the Nordic lands and the one who would go would be Thor's daughter because it's less 'heteronormative' so has a higher score in the woke checklist.

If they do that, I think it would be a good opportunity to make the next main game online coop: the whole game could be played alone (plus up to 3 CPU characters in the squad) or with up to 4 characters. In a Destiny fashion, in additon to have the story campaign that could be played solo or in coop there could be also be PvP modes integrated in that world (maybe some kind of fighting championship or something like that) or could also be optional raids. This game would be a first step into moving to a 'solo 1P experience friendly' GaaS system.

Last edited:

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Somewhat spoilery stuff about what they may do in their next entry, don't read this and my reply if you didn't complete the game:
I made the mistake of peeking in a spoiler a few days ago (100% my fault)... Now I know some major plot point that would probably have blown my mind because I decided to read the first few words of a spoiler bubble (to be fair I kinda suspected something along those lines would be possible, but never THAT).

I will forever live in regret, this week say that you only regret what you did not do are liars of the worst kind!

Tyr!!! Wtf!! That doe fit the prophecy with the boy tho!

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Not strange at all. Sony dies things on their time. I remember ppl saying ur was strange Sony was releasing certain games during certain times of the year not associated with the holidays and the games still blew up and sold crazy numbers. Sony is dynamic with things.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Not strange at all. Sony dies things on their time. I remember ppl saying ur was strange Sony was releasing certain games during certain times of the year not associated with the holidays and the games still blew up and sold crazy numbers. Sony is dynamic with things.
It's true that Sony typically leaves this quarter for 3rd parties and they fill less busy parts of the year with their exclusives.

The thing is that this year they already had many big exclusives during the rest of the year because had some of them delayed from 2021 due to covid, so they had to put Kratos in this quarter.

I'd bet that in the same way that others like GT7 or HFW apparently became the fastest selling games of their IP, the same will happen with GoWR, which also would mean the fastest selling hack & slash ever.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
It's true that Sony typically leaves this quarter for 3rd parties and they fill less busy parts of the year with their exclusives.

The thing is that this year they already had many big exclusives during the rest of the year because had some of them delayed from 2021 due to covid, so they had to put Kratos in this quarter.

I'd bet that in the same way that others like GT7 or HFW apparently became the fastest selling games of their IP, the same will happen with GoWR, which also would mean the fastest selling hack & slash ever.
Yeah GOW is going to have some great numbers. I think they are waiting for digital sales cumulative. Digital sales are going to be high.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yeah GOW is going to have some great numbers. I think they are waiting for digital sales cumulative. Digital sales are going to be high.
Well, they should have the digital sales numbers updated in real time. Regarding physical sales, in some countries they are collected monthly, so maybe don't know the sales until they get these numbers, even if they track the units they ship to retailers and some retailers update them very frequently with their sales to final customers.

Or maybe they have the sales tracked almost daily but the first week sales almost got a record (like fastest selling PS exclusive ever) and they are waiting to see if the 1st month sales achieve it instead, specially considering that 1st month sales will include Black Friday sales.

• fire
Reactions: Gamernyc78