God Of War Studio Is Reportedly Working On A New IP: A reference to a new IP from Santa Monica Studio has been spotted online

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

• Sony Santa Monica may be developing a new IP, unrelated to God of War, according to a developer's LinkedIn page.
  • Cory Barlog has been rumoured to be working on a space-themed IP for years.
  • Sony Santa Monica has not confirmed any details about their upcoming projects, leaving fans to speculate.

This reference to a new IP is found on a LinkedIn profile, with the relevant section reading as follows: "Santa Monica Studios presented the opportunity of coming back as Character Supervisor, looking after the entire Character Development pipeline, on their new IP, so here I am, thrilled to be back, working again with the crew and pushing Characters in videogames together."

IMG_20240803_155510.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-03-15-16-40-53_3aea4af51f236e4932235fdada7d1643.jpg

I think this is a game we will be seeing very soon.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Yeah we know Cory's team been working on a new IP and Hermen even tweeted about it once... So I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what an Unshackled PS5 only SSM can do.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Yeah we know Cory's team been working on a new IP and Hermen even tweeted about it once... So I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what an Unshackled PS5 only SSM can do.

I also think people should not expect something similar to God of War but in a different genre. I think Cory is trying to do something completely different. Someone at the other place is hinting toward it being something that is going to have a big reaction when its revealed, good or bad.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I also think people should not expect something similar to God of War but in a different genre. I think Cory is trying to do something completely different. Someone at the other place is hinting toward it being something that is going to have a big reaction when its revealed, good or bad.

I think it might be Sci-Fi / Space related unless he was trying to lead us off a certain path few years back.

But I have faith in Cory to deliver.

CrackmanNL

4 Apr 2024
Better not be "Goddess of war" ffs...
Better not, Nariko already has that title, one day a sequel to Heavenly Sword..

Hope when they announce it it's in a grand fashion, Corey on that balcony revealing GoW was quite memorable, it's a shame Sony don't do crowd events like that anymore. Has been already 3 years since him showing up in that post interview 2021 showcase, about time.

Reactions: Kokoloko

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023

It seems like both Neil and Cory will be working on on something completely different than before.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
So basically Santa Monica will always be a one game studio. Was hoping Cory’s game was being made alongside Ragnarok so we get it quicker

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
If I had to bet, I'd guess it's:
  • Cory's new IP, started in late 2018/early 2019 (SSM being led dev team)
  • The original game where Bluepoint has been working (Bluepoint being support team, helping SSM as they did in GoWR)
  • Interestellar: The Heretic Prophet, the trademark registered by Sony back in February
  • Likely to be announced this fall or H1 2025 (maybe at their late May/early June "showcase")
So basically Santa Monica will always be a one game studio. Was hoping Cory’s game was being made alongside Ragnarok so we get it quicker
No, this confirms the opposite. In addition to be working on the next GoW set in a new mythology they are working in a new IP at the same time.

In case it would be Cory's new IP, they'd have been developing it alongside GoWR, GoWR Valhalla (Valhalla had a different team than GoWR) and the next GoW. While at the same time they have a team overviewing the PC ports and another one overviewing the movie/tv show adaptation.

So I assume they have these teams:
  1. Main GoW big team: did GoWR and now are bringing it to a new mythology in the next game
  2. New IP big team: probably directed by Cory
  3. Experiments small team: did GoWR Valhalla, probably a smaller team to research and prototype new mechanics and ideas. After the Valhalla success may continue doing smaller DLCs (maybe in some case standalone) like Valhalla in the future
  4. PC ports small team: just 2 or 3 guys overviewing external porters and providing them the stuff they may need
  5. Non-gaming adaptations small team: just a few guys overviewing potential movies/tv shows/merchandising
Cory would be the creative director of all the projects.

Last edited:
  • Shake

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Looking forward to it.

Santa Monica has pulled off the perfect modern blend of gameplay and cinematics to make the ideal type of video game blockbuster.

I used to feel as if MGS was the standard at this but the Santa Monica GoW games are up there too for me. Their brand of souls-like combat is incredible and fun too. Santa Monica has the gameplay chops most other ps studios do not.

Tsushima pulled off similar tbh. As someone who has historically never liked PS exclusives outside GT, when Bloodborne first dropped, followed by GoW, Tsushima and Ragnarok… dude — now that’s the stuff.

• they're_right_you_know

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I just saw this slide of the Insomniac leak in the purple forum, as I remember the powerpoint that had profiles of other internal studios was from 2021 or so:
image.png

Back then had GoWR and other game, which I assume is this new IP. Looking at the 400 people size, assuming small teams for Valhalla/ports/non-gaming adaptations, that second project is a big AAA -similar in size/budget to GoW- and back then was at full production.

This aligns with the theory of this new IP possibly being Cory's new IP, which would have started late 2018/early 2019, being around 2021/2022 at full production.

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
I'm happy Sony Santa Monica are working on a new IP. Hoping we get more leaks via ResetEra regarding this game soon if it's not announced at that rumored September PlayStation event that's not TGS.

If this is going to be a linear/non-open world game, I REALLY hope they learned from Naughty Dog's The Last of Us 2's level design. That wide-linear level design is perfect and promotes and discovery. Though, that approach probably adds a shitton more of development time.

Also, I'm hoping the protagonist is a strong and somewhat-silent male with depth and empathy (no jokey Joss Whedon-esque clowns nor any Call of Duty/Joe Rogan caveman). A cool and subtle design would be perfect. I feel like I just describe Bruce Wayne, Al Simmons or Clark Kent. Other than Jin from Ghost of Tsushima, it feels like the other new characters of recent years have been designed by a committee of Tiktok heads which lead to no new male (or female) characters that'll be remembered and celebrated like characters from the 90s are.

With that being said, I'm happy for the people who's tastes lean towards those newer design characters (everyone should be served), I just want some edge lord with a brain shit lol.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
How do people know this new IP will star humans?

Or how do we know it won’t be something more animated and stylized?

How do we know it won’t star mostly children?

I think people should put their expectations for what this is going to be or play like aside. Cory has made it very clear he’s not following the God of War template, it could be a first person Immersive sim for all we know or something like Grabbed by The Ghoulies.

Cory has a young kid maybe he wants to make a game he can play

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
How do people know this new IP will star humans?

Or how do we know it won’t be something more animated and stylized?

How do we know it won’t star mostly children?

I think people should put their expectations for what this is going to be or play like aside. Cory has made it very clear he’s not following the God of War template, it could be a first person Immersive sim for all we know or something like Grabbed by The Ghoulies.

Cory has a young kid maybe he wants to make a game he can play
According to a Resetera insider Ashong. Who has some connections to PS Studios. He said that the game is different than anybody is expecting, and he doesn’t know how we’ll react to it.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Remember_Spinal

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
According to a Resetera insider Ashong. Who has some connections to PS Studios. He said that the game is different than anybody is expecting, and he doesn’t know how we’ll react to it.
Jeese I can smell FUD already