God of War's Creator Thinks That the Character of Kratos Took a Wrong Turn

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I think he just get old after kill half of his race.

I mean David Jaffe become old too... the him today probably could not create Kratos.

BTW actual Kratos is a way better character than what David Jeaffe created.

Reactions: Luffy123

Darth Vader

I find your lack of faith disturbing
Founder
20 Jun 2022
This just sounds like a salty old dude who cannot accept that his creation has changed beyond the original scope. He goes as far as denying that this Kratos is "the same Kratos". He is the same Kratos. He's the Kratos that killed all the gods and didn't get his family back, realising that being the "God of War" has only led to him losing everything he cared about.

If there's one thing that makes sense for this character is to have him become more down to earth and "righteous".

What are they going to do, have a bloodlust kratos go through every single pantheon that has ever existed ad eternum, with the same old lines and angsty attitude, even when he's thousands of years old?

Nhomnhom

Banned
25 Mar 2023
I got a bit bored by the narrative by the end of Ragnarok to be honest. Felt like some sort of big twist was missing from the game and what was there would've worked if there was a part 3 for the Nordic saga but that was not the case.

Feels like Kratos as a caracther has no place to go anymore.

Reactions: Killer_Sakoman

Playstation Sucka

8 Jan 2023
If being honest I do prefer the original trilogy over the dad and boi banter it's good too but It would be nice if they include the camera angle of the Trilogy god of war in the sequel

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
While I don't fully agree with him. I do think current Kratos needs a reivention for the next game

Reactions: Nhomnhom

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
Stuck in the past.

Dude would have burnt the franchise to the ground if left in charge.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
It would just be the same thing over and over...

I'm not against a return to that style sometime, that can be fun but things needed to be refreshed badly after Ascension.

Reactions: Danja

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
To me the glaring issue is that the bulk of studio heads are now 50+ and we don't get as many original ideas from people in their 20s and 30s at the AAA level. Jaffe got to make his "college game" with a massive budget and the biggest videogame brand publishing. Younger creative game designers have to go the punk rock route, producing indies while working another job.

Santa Monica post-Jaffe did an incredible job with post-2018 God of War, a franchise that by rights should've died with Ascension. They've inexplicably managed to create a whole ensemble of cool characters in a universe where Kratos previously killed literally everyone who mattered. Ragnarok is sick, fuck the haters.

There's no rule that a character can't take a left turn or "grow", it's just a question of whether the creators do a good job with it. Bungie and 343 were never able to enrich Master Chief as a character and the franchise is totally stale now. Should they be praised that they stayed true to the character and didn't give him a family and shit?

The new indiana jones movies suck, harrison ford always sucked, and hollywood is in a particularly lazy era of flashing shiny objects at us, making reboots that are also sequels which only exist for nostalgia and don't deliver it. games are better.

Johnic

Veteran
24 Mar 2023
Outer Heaven
Of course he does. The guy's been a miserable cunt ever since he had a tantrum about Sony not inviting him to work on the new GOW.

BroodCorp

Veteran
Icon Extra
28 May 2023
GoW was such an arcadey romp I wonder what spurred the desire to step in that direction besides fitting in with PlayStation's current brand of narrative-heavy games.

I sympathize with devs wanting to inject their own experiences as they age into the characters they work on but is it necessary? Shouldn’t that be regulated to your own original IP? Someone like Kojima can do that because he created the characters he’s diving into. Cory Barlog just got handed Kratos.