Google Deepmind announces Genie, first generative interactive environment model. .

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Not true. First, to make an animation doesn't take weeks or months.

And second, has happens with drawing or music or code, AI can't generate exactly what an artist or coder has in his mind. But it can generate a somewhat close and not viable stuff for final work result useful to brainstorm and as a draft or point to start to work on top, helping to speed up their job.
Games are also increasing in scale and complexity and you are still going to need tons of devs to turn all the AI tech into high quality games. Talent, creativity and manpower are going to be more important than ever to stand out among a sea of AI generated trash.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
That is not what the industry says...

Typically, the average time to produce an animation of around 60-90 seconds is 8-10 weeks. The time taken depends largely on the animation style you'd like to use, for example, simple motion graphics animations will be much faster than complex frame-by-frame animation.

About Mortal Kombat fatalities.
Medium quality hand keyed animations like the ones in your reference I would ballpark around 20 secs/week/character. Given most of these references have 2 characters, one animator could produce about one 10 second clip per week. So 200 shots would take 200 man-weeks, or about 50 man-months. This means you would need to give a team of 5 animators about a year.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
And second, has happens with drawing or music or code, AI can't generate exactly what an artist or coder has in his mind. But it can generate a somewhat close and not viable stuff for final work result useful to brainstorm and as a draft or point to start to work on top, helping to speed up their job.

Maybe not perfect for now..but 5....10 years in the future...who knows...

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sony always relied on devs over IPs and now they seem scared to invest and are trying to spin PlayStation into something it never was.

Firing their devs isn't going to change that outcome it's only going to make it worse.

Good luck for Sony fighting MS and NVidia on the AI front.
I think by I ai, it means less work. Not replacement. It helps cut many many hours of work. Doesnt mean ai is gonna replace games, just the tools can be used to make things faster.

All this it takes 8-10 years to make games, will probably go back to the usual time it takes in a couple of years when ai advances even more

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023

Maybe not perfect for now..but 5....10 years in the future...who knows...
So fire your devs because IA is powerful? It makes no sense. Why the need of desperate mass layoffs instead of something more organic? It's all to appease shareholders on the short term with no long term benefits.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
So fire your devs because IA is powerful? It makes no sense. Why the need of desperate mass layoffs instead of something more organic? It's all to appease shareholders on the short term with no long term benefits.
They all want tht huge overhead and profits. Sad to say but true.

Reactions: Nhomnhom

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Well unfortunately it is a very logical business decision to do

Why pay hundred of people wages when AI can do the job for you for free and at a much faster rate

Maybe now AI is more limited and restrained but in the future who knows

As technology progress stuff like pc graphic cards along with ai will also get better

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well unfortunately it is a very logical business decision to do

Why pay hundred of people wages when AI can do the job for you for free and at a much faster rate

Maybe now AI is more limited and restrained but in the future who knows

As technology progress stuff like pc graphic cards along with ai will also get better
Every industry has done it, meaning reduced live personnel due to technology...

Streets use to be lighted by ppl that would light the street lanterns, obviously light bulbs changed that and ppl lost their jobs.

Mta and toll bridges no longer hiring for toll booth clerks as everything is automated now.

Fast food have reduced size of employees due to kiosks.

Gaming will not be no different.

Reactions: Airbus

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022

No, what is done there is giving screenshots of Rockstar games and asking the AI to slightly modify it to make them more realistic.

Doing it by hand, the artists achieved exactly what they wanted. If didn't have use the trailer screenshots as reference the AI wouldn't have shown such similarity in all the details.

Also, to make that process of making a game screenshot look more realistic and detailed (can easily be done wih somelike like Stable Diffusion XL) nowadays takes some seconds. It can't be done 30 or 60 times per second (on top of the work required by the console/PC to render the game and handle the gameplay), can't be applied in real time for gameplay
images

Thats like talking to people in medieval ages that we can go the moon that will just laugh at you cos it was unthinkable back then

Welcome to future science fiction

What is a dream today could be a reality tomorrow

Last edited:

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
images

Thats like talking to people in medieval ages that we can go the moon that will just laugh at you cos it was unthinkable back then

Welcome to future science fiction

What is a dream today could be a reality tomorrow

AI art, AI articles, etc, all fucking suck, why would we expect games to benefit from going into that direction? I don't look forward to waste my time on some mid to trash AI generated games with as little human input as possible.

I just hope we get one last salvo of high quality games before we completely descend into the AI hellscape.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
AI art, AI articles, etc, all fucking suck, why would we expect games to benefit from going into that direction? I don't look forward to waste my time on some mid to trash AI generated games with as little human input as possible.

I just hope we get one last salvo of high quality games before we completely descend into the AI hellscape.
Its inevitable my friend

Just like many jobs in the past getting replaced people must adapt or die

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Its inevitable my friend

Just like many jobs in the past getting replaced people must adapt or die
So it's inevitable that PlayStation will keep reducing their workforce going forward? The only thing that seems inevitable is them becoming less and less relevant if they keep going that way.

I am myself a dev and I am not ignorant of the implications of AI, Sony actions seem reactionary to me.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
So it's inevitable that PlayStation will keep reducing their workforce going forward? The only thing that seems inevitable is them becoming less and less relevant if they keep going that way.
Its business 101

If AI keep getting better in the future then company has no need to hire and pay hundreds of employee wages

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Its business 101

If AI keep getting better in the future then company has no need to hire and pay hundreds of employee wages
If AI makes workers more productive that doesn't imply in you reducing your workforce, specially when SIE already have a profitable business with high quality studios and was seen as a industry leader.

Sony isn't new to the business of closing studios and many of their past decisions look really bad in retrospect.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
If AI makes workers more productive that doesn't imply in you reducing your workforce, specially when SIE already have a profitable business with high quality studios and was seen as a industry leader.
What all those video shows does not indicate AI making workers, videogame artist, music artist, movie artist more productive it is actually replacing them

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
What all those video shows does not indicate AI making workers, videogame artist, music artist, movie artist more productive it is replacing them
That is the mindset of studios and publishers that will end up becoming irrelevant. AI is going to put an even bigger premium on quality, you aren't going to sell shit by cutting costs and following this trend.

If AI is that powerful and that impactful to game developing then now would be the time to invest even more on your studios.

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
That is the mindset of studios and publishers that will end up becoming irrelevant. AI is going to put an even bigger premium quality.
Irrelevant how

I show you previously the video of AI doing artist job that took month to do ai acomplished it in just couple hour

Im not a fan of these recent ai development but it is what it is no sugarcoat or copium here from me