Google is shutting down Stadia

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022

Google is shutting down Stadia, its cloud gaming service. The service will remain live for players until January 18th, 2023. Google will be refunding all Stadia hardware purchased through the Google Store as well as all the games and add-on content purchased from the Stadia store. Google expects those refunds will be completed in mid-January.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Stadia is hsutting down on January 18, 2022

Fd1fjvcWYAA0UdI

P

peter42O

I gave Stadia two years. Lasted just over three. Their tech was good but the execution was bad.

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Same with all streaming services... they all fail.

Streaming is just not a good delivery method for gaming. It works for film and music due to the lower information needs, one direction, passive nature of the mediums vs gaming and buffering etc.

Music and film tech is pretty mature and stagnant now. Gaming however is always moving forward, always needs more resources, more bandwidth, faster frames, higher resolution, more detailed models and textures etc etc.

Also centralizing gaming into large data centers is unwise, if any of them get hit or get a virus, that is gaming down. Natural disasters, storms, earthquakes...down.
Moving ownership, profiles, friends lists, save files etc away and data collection. Raising prices to access consistently until you have no option.

Horrible idea.

alphachino

24 Aug 2022
Are there any redeeming qualities to the controller? I like to collect controllers. I might see if I can pick one up sometime for a song.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Bryank75

xor

29 Sep 2022
I tried the free version once (maybe it was a trial of the pro version, can't remember). I'll freely admit it worked fairly well, and I was left impressed by the tech.
But the idea of paying outright for games I could only access by streaming was a non-starter, and always will be for me.

Netflix-style a la carte services like PS Now are more interesting. My first playthrough of TLOU was on Now. It's strictly inferior to running locally, but instant access makes for an interesting tradeoff.

• Informative
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
I tried the free version once (maybe it was a trial of the pro version, can't remember). I'll freely admit it worked fairly well, and I was left impressed by the tech.
But the idea of paying outright for games I could only access by streaming was a non-starter, and always will be for me.

Netflix-style a la carte services like PS Now are more interesting. My first playthrough of TLOU was on Now. It's strictly inferior to running locally, but instant access makes for an interesting tradeoff.

As a tertiary / side or emergency access style service cloud is okay IMO.

Also a nice little party trick for a platform.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I truly think game streaming is going to die off.

I've written many essays on why.. from the early days of OnLive.

My summation has always been "Tech is impressive, it still makes no sense."

The problem with it isn't just lack of real consumer demand, it's that the business model doesn't really make a ton of sense.. like really it makes no fucking sense lol