Gran Turismo Movie | Review Thread

flaccidsnake

Veteran
2 May 2023
so..no? good, the usual hot takes with no solid base at all

Have you heard of movie trailers? Production companies use them kind of like a "demo" or "preview" of a movie. They're meant to give you an idea of what a movie is gonna be like. I saw the trailer for this movie and concluded that it looks like shit. Of course, the trailer could be misrepresenting the finished product, but it wouldn't change my opinion of the trailer I *looked* at.

For more info:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Have you heard of movie trailers? Production companies use them kind of like a "demo" or "preview" of a movie. They're meant to give you an idea of what a movie is gonna be like. I saw the trailer for this movie and concluded that it looks like shit. Of course, the trailer could be misrepresenting the finished product, but it wouldn't change my opinion of the trailer I *looked* at.

For more info:
Tyronne Magnus said the ads dont do it justice.

riesgoyfortuna

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

For more info:
Next time, just wait

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
98% positive audience rating. That's awesome, reviewers are out of touch and just a load of Disney shills.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
98% positive audience rating. That's awesome, reviewers are out of touch and just a load of Disney shills.

unless the critical reception is really bad like under 50% it really doesn’t matter anymore.

So far, playstation productions has been a hit. Wonder if anyone will give Jimbo credit for it like how they blame him for everything else :unsure:

Reactions: Muddasar

Plextorage

Banned
26 Feb 2023
In my country :

Review | Gran Turismo movie​

When I wrote about the Gran Turismo movie at the beginning of last year, I wasn't sure what to write, let alone what to expect. How? God, why? How to shoot a movie based on a racing simulator ? However, not according to any simulator. Gran Turismo has been delighting car lovers for 25 years, and among the 80 million players it has created a few more passionate fans. More fresh impressions, just after the closed screening I attended, I don't know if the Gran Turismo movie will create new fans of the shiny bodywork and fine mechanics, however, it is definitely a very good movie.
Designed according to real events and characters, Gran Turismo follows the life story of Jann Mardenborough (Archie Madekwe), a gamer who, after his top achievements in the virtual world, is given the opportunity to try himself as a professional real driver. For the purpose of dramaturgy, the producers allowed themselves important alternations of events and characters, which is a standard practice in biographical productions. Sometimes it doesn't turn out well, however, Gran Turismo under the baton of Neill Blomkamp (District 9, Elysium and Chappie) for the most part does not overdo it and ultimately leaves a harmonious impression.
Before he deserves a professional driver's contract, Jann must be faster than the other top GT drivers.
Jann, an interesting character, but not interesting enough to stand alone for more than 120 minutes on screen, was supported by the characters of trainer and retired driving veteran Jack Salter (David Harbour) and corporate middleman Danny Moore (Orlando Bloom). The very beginning is marked by the hyperbolization characteristic of this type of film. Jann is a clichéd gamer misunderstood by most of his friends and housemates, the one who only leaves the room to go to the gaming room. Salter fills that old-school macho guy quota , a character with an icy exterior that melts halfway through a popcorn box, and Moore is meant to be a likable corpo guywho will sometimes ask a stupid question. We must not forget Audrey either, the girl who will fulfill the romantic norm.

Not serious, so much better​

In the first third, Gran Turismo is pretty frivolous. In some moments, he even exaggerates the levity imposed on him, because gaming must be lively and playful. Fortunately, it doesn't get bogged down. Unlike some other works that similarly try to keep the viewer's attention, Gran Turismo resists other low passions to the greatest extent. Without cheap dramatization, excessive romantic complications, family intrigues and more, it establishes key parts of the narrative with feel good relationships and dynamic races.

A little later than it should, but not too late, the film starts to take itself more seriously. Adrenaline is dosed quite skilfully during the races, and dignifiedly covers some more tragic circumstances, inevitable in auto-moto sports. All of this is accompanied by brilliantly shot camera angles and filming techniques, resulting in one of the best-hitting sense of speed in cinema halls.
Gamers, fans of Gran Turismo games will recognize the menu sounds, background music, fonts and interface design that is conveniently mapped into a kind of augmented reality. In the GT manner, the serial number on the track is drawn above the car, the lap number is positioned in one of the corners, the speedometer and rev counter, minimap... Although the presentation is full of Gran Turismo details and easter eggs, the film does not glorify auto-moto culture as much as they do . games.

In the driver's seat, but in the cinema​

If it glorifies something, it is sport as such. Film crews filmed in authentic conditions, on the Nurburgring, Red Bull Ring, Dubai Autodrome, and even Le Mans. The atmosphere in the pit stops and the tension surrounding the sport were faithfully transferred to the cinema screen, but the cars as such did not receive as much attention. They're there and they're fast, but the film doesn't bother too much with displacements, engine powers, torques, suspensions and other specifications. Instead, it panders to wider groups of viewers and does so quite well.
"Boy, if you break down, there's no resetbutton here."
Harbor and Madekwe as the lead pair of actors created a solid chemistry, enough to carry the film for all 120 minutes. At the same time, the plot, despite the beginning dotted with stereotypes, is interesting enough, however, Gran Turismo excels most in the ability to put the viewer in the driver's seat. It does this better than any other movie I've seen. Somewhat ironically, the amplification of the impression of the "real" is mostly contributed by the enhanced aesthetics of the video game.
If you've ever played games, you've probably at least once fantasized about transferring your virtual abilities to the real world. Winning a virtual race is one thing, professional motorsport is something completely different. When you are persistent enough, you can do anything, and Jann Mardenborough's story shows just that. It is a story that, accompanied by a great presentation, deserves to carry a cult name. And Gran Turismo deserves to be watched, especially if you are a gamer . The best in the cinema, where it comes on 8/24.

• fire
Reactions: Bryank75

Entropi

Veteran
22 Jan 2023
From extremely low expectations to watching it twice in theaters. I can’t believe how good the movie is.