Graphics Analysis: Head-to-Head Game Competition

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13

All,

I am going to start doing something special for this site that I think everyone will enjoy. I'm going to pit exclusive to exclusive of Xbox/PC vs. PS5 games in an all out head-to-head competition of graphics technology. The rules are simple. I will pick an exclusive game on PS and an exclusive game on XSX (PC as well) and evaluate each games graphical implementations. It will work off of a category system that I came up with. In order to make things fair, I've included 2 subjective categories that I will judge personally. Hence all of these analysis will be opinionated. These kinds of threads tend to draw many crowds into participating in the discussion and since I'm on a site that has some great open-minded people, I think it will be very fun and a huge learning lesson for many.

Here are the categories that I will judge:

1) Textures (resolution, normal maps, POM)
2) Lighting (RT, GI, AO, shadow casting lights, many lights, etc..)
3) FX (smoke, clouds, particles, rain, procedural tricks, lighting, explosions, etc..)
4) Animation (character, AI, particles, assets, etc..)
5) Shaders (materials, hair, skin, etc..)
6) Art Direction (color palette, consistency across assets, environments, etc..)
7) Complexity (physics, several instances, LOD, screenspace FX, etc..)

All claims in these categories will come with vids/screenshots and each game will have a "CLAIM TO FAME" headline denoting what the game did the most with it's graphics resource budget. Whichever game wins the most categories wins the analysis. I will be making my first head-to-head this weekend for everyone to read.

Any questions, just let me know. After the first one, I will open up for the community to pick the next head-to-head competition (provided I bought the game)

Cya soon!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

RULES:

1) It has to be a AAA game title or a game that's so outstanding in graphics, it can't be ignored (i.e. Black Myth or Plaque 2).
2) Art will play a factor but most emphasis will be on technology.
3) Different genres can be compared as long as they aren't too different from each other (i.e. a football game vs. an RPG isn't what we are looking for).

If anyone can think of any other suggestions then let me know. We can add it.

At this time, I'm lacking a PS5. I also need a lot of time to analyze so this probably won't happen until next year when we get more games released. Also, we aren't going back in time past 3 months release. I'm not going to do games released 1-3 years ago.

24 Jun 2022
Ah, just 3 months? It could get tricky, then. I don't think a 1-year span limit is that bad, how else can we get a Gran Turismo 7 vs. Forza Motorsport comparison?

As for suggestions, are you considering adding a clear weight for different tech categories out of a total of say 100%? So for example AA can be 10% and RT can be 25%, something like that.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Deleted member 13

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
All,

I am going to start doing something special for this site that I think everyone will enjoy. I'm going to pit exclusive to exclusive of Xbox/PC vs. PS5 games in an all out head-to-head competition of graphics technology. The rules are simple. I will pick an exclusive game on PS and an exclusive game on XSX (PC as well) and evaluate each games graphical implementations. It will work off of a category system that I came up with. In order to make things fair, I've included 2 subjective categories that I will judge personally. Hence all of these analysis will be opinionated. These kinds of threads tend to draw many crowds into participating in the discussion and since I'm on a site that has some great open-minded people, I think it will be very fun and a huge learning lesson for many.

Here are the categories that I will judge:

1) Textures (resolution, normal maps, POM)
2) Lighting (RT, GI, AO, shadow casting lights, many lights, etc..)
3) FX (smoke, clouds, particles, rain, procedural tricks, lighting, explosions, etc..)
4) Animation (character, AI, particles, assets, etc..)
5) Shaders (materials, hair, skin, etc..)
6) Art Direction (color palette, consistency across assets, environments, etc..)
7) Complexity (physics, several instances, LOD, screenspace FX, etc..)

All claims in these categories will come with vids/screenshots and each game will have a "CLAIM TO FAME" headline denoting what the game did the most with it's graphics resource budget. Whichever game wins the most categories wins the analysis. I will be making my first head-to-head this weekend for everyone to read.

Any questions, just let me know. After the first one, I will open up for the community to pick the next head-to-head competition (provided I bought the game)

Cya soon!
Bloody hells bells, you're really uping your game, just admit it, my Diablo review thread has put the fear of God into you. 😍

Looking really forward to this.

First games to analyze

PS5 Horizon zero dawn 2 vs PC MINE SWEEPER.