Graphics Analysis : What does a 'next-gen' game mean?

• Thread starter Deleted member 13
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 13

Welcome to a discussion on what I think constitutes a game moving from 'last-gen' status to 'next-gen' status. The rules are pretty simple really and go back to the graphics engines themselves and what iterations the developer wants to incorporate into the engine.

All graphics engines are bound by whatever the GPU allows. You can go around this but it's highly unwise to do so as you'll end up choking the graphics pipeline and sacrificing a lot of performance. Therefore one way of getting a clear signal of what 'next-gen' means is seeing tech demos that come out right after new hardware has been released. Some generations the GPU is just made more powerful to allow for more complex operations but no new radical design.

We see this in last generation's consoles as Physically-Based Materials (PBR) became a thing:

Here's a sample of what Disney started and a sure thing that every developer implemented in their own shading pipeline. It's essentially using a more accurate material-based algorithm that makes materials look realistic:

disney_2.jpeg

Here is a game that shocked the gaming community on how beautiful it looked as these guys used PBR with excellent results:

The Order 1866 :
order_hallway.0.jpg

1*L58GGW0UdJJLtCSrVw_LOQ.png

And then Assassin's Creed: Unity

fbc9e3ffc2fa00444a4c057de2f5564b.jpg

f20cb51bbedfaa94d7b2c5d3e4c73192.jpg

NOTE: There are still a couple of shaders that are TOO expensive for today's hardware to render in that Disney list : SSS and Anisotropic materials are still very demanding on hardware and isn't used in the conventional way as it should be.

Now that we've mastered materials for assets and getting a proper look for last gen what's the next best thing and why?

I'm going to delve into several rendering features that I would claim needs to be 'progressed' in a way that brings out better visuals than today. We've seen some of these features already this new generation : Ray-Traced Lighting and Geometry Detail.

I'm going to split out each of these rendering features into separate threads so we can all keep track of how they progress and what our expectations should be. But here is the list:

1) Lighting

2) Texturing

3) Volumetrics

4) Shadows

5) Procedural Texturing

6) Subsurface Scattering

7) Global Illumination

8) Ambient Occlusion

9) Geometry (i.e. Nanite, Tessellation)

10) Hair Rendering

In general, I would objectify 'next-gen' to mean an advancement in one or more of these features that wasn't present in the last generation. I'd prefer to have several features and not just 1 but for the sake of argument, I can identify with 1 feature being good enough provided that said feature makes a significant impact on the visuals overall. For example, I woudn't consider ray-traced reflections to be the sole ingredient to make a game next-gen, however I would say that having ray-traced ambient occlusion would since it will impact the overall visuals a lot more.

STAY TUNED for Lighting - the first graphics feature that people should evaluate when considering 'next-gen' visuals.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Nice thread

Not my area of expertise, fs nothing is, but what about AI does that not factor into this equation?

If a daft question, just ignore, SIGH. 😍

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

Nice thread

Not my area of expertise, fs nothing is, but what about AI does that not factor into this equation?

If a daft question, just ignore, SIGH. 😍
I'm only trying to tackle what I'm an expert at - which is rendering.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 13

There is no way that the textures and ground at that level can be highly detailed. It's literally modeling the entire world with lighting + ambient occlusion + shadowing. No GPU is capable of that kind of realtime throughput.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
There is no way that the textures and ground at that level can be highly detailed. It's literally modeling the entire world with lighting + ambient occlusion + shadowing. No GPU is capable of that kind of realtime throughput.

Well ok, but that kind of kills the idea that its the ‘best looking’ next gen game.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: EDMIX

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Not really. The game is rendering absolutely amazingly. A lot of the rendering techniques in that simulator are more advanced than what we've seen last gen.

My eyeballs say different. It can be technically impressive but still not the best looking

Last edited:

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
cross-gen gaming is a fucking curse , the reason ps4 got jaw dropping games is because developers did not have to worry about A ps3 version.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
cross-gen gaming is a fucking curse , the reason ps4 got jaw dropping games is because developers did not have to worry about A ps3 version.

You didn’t really get ‘jaw dropping’ games until uncharted 4. Comparatively theres been more jaw dropping games on the ps5 than there was on the ps4 in this time frame.

Only thing really visually stunning in the first couple of years was infamous second son and the order

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
You didn’t really get ‘jaw dropping’ games until uncharted 4. Comparatively theres been more jaw dropping games on the ps5 than there was on the ps4 in this time frame.
well my jaw dropped when i saw
-killzone shadow fall
-driveclub
-the order 1886
and i agree that ps5 has bangers in its lineup , just that cross-gen focus is not a good thing imo if you want to tap potential of next gen consoles

mansoor1980

4 Jul 2022
Looking at this thread....I really need Ubisoft making a remaster of Unity on PS5 and Series X and make it where it can run and actually play lol
so many games from previous gens deserve remakes/remasters , the ones that had potential but struggled with performance
games like oblivion and fallout 3 deserve remakes too

• they're_right_you_know

EDMIX

so many games from previous gens deserve remakes/remasters , the ones that had potential but struggled with performance
games like oblivion and fallout 3 deserve remakes too

I still don't get how Skyrim got 3 versions last gen and Oblivion got zero lol

For how?

Now it needs a remake, no remaster will do. Its just too old now. They could put on all the beatification mods or something made make it a new version and call it a day, same with Fallout 3 and NV

Reactions: mansoor1980
4 Aug 2022
Looking at this thread....I really need Ubisoft making a remaster of Unity on PS5 and Series X and make it where it can run and actually play lol
Game had so much potential. Its shame what Ubisoft did to it.

Well ok, but that kind of kills the idea that its the ‘best looking’ next gen game.
You can find ugly things in any game. You are looking for the ugly here and claiming its not impressive while ignoring literally everything else.