Grappling-hook was the last gameplay innovation fad, what is next?

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com

Would a grappling-hook have made Elden Ring better?

What is the next bug gameplay innovation or trick that should be implemented to make movement more fun and engaging?

Or has a game already broken ground in this area or been too ahead of it's time and most people just didn't experience or appreciate it? Let us know....

How could a modern military shooter use movement in a new way? Would a gadget help?

Reactions: Sircaw

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I dunno ... I mean the grappling hook goes back to Bionic Commando in the 80's. It could be a current fad, but it definitely isn't anything "new."

Not sure if there is a possible new traversal fad. We've had just about all of it including physics defying portals in ... Portal.

Just make it fun to play, and that's all that's needed. :)

Reactions: Bryank75

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
All the way back in the quake, we had it, CCTF etc, capture the flag.

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Do you remember the BFG jump?

Maybe there could be a modern version in other games?
yep, i do lol, try it with quad damage and a power shield and you just about survive your 100-meter jump lol.

In quake to on q2dm1 the edge map, you could throw a grenade on the floor, wait till it explodes, at the exact time it blows up you rocket jump and you are able to get above the map on a secret ledge.

• fire
OP
OP
Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
yep, i do lol, try it with quad damage and a power shield and you just about survive your 100-meter jump lol.

In quake to on q2dm1 the edge map, you could throw a grenade on the floor, wait till it explodes, at the exact time it blows up you rocket jump and you are able to get above the map on a secret ledge.

We need more games with funny physics like that.... people love that stuff and all the variations and silly things that can happen.

Reactions: Sircaw

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.
We need more games with funny physics like that.... people love that stuff and all the variations and silly things that can happen.
I had fun in the PS3 version of Demon’s Souls playing with the Havoc physics to completely clear the corpses of every single enemy that left one behind out of level 1-1 by kicking them around until I could get them to a ledge they could fall off of.

• haha

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Inspector Gadget style personal helicopters. Trust me on this.

Also, BotW style personal gliders ccame after grappling hooks (which really saw a resurgence with JC 2 in the mid to late 2000s.)

• fire

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
Everyone forgets Metroid Prime did the grapple hook.
Its not a true grapple hook if it can't grapple anywhere. More grappling to be had in the multiplayer of that one 007 game that came to the cube way back then.

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Its not a true grapple hook if it can't grapple anywhere. More grappling to be had in the multiplayer of that one 007 game that came to the cube way back then.
There are very few games with a grappling hook that can grapple anywhere.

Re: topic, I think another movement gimmick that's a johnny-come-lately alongside the grappling hook is the glider. So many open world games are getting gliders these days. I actually think, though, that with the loading speed of the ssd's in modern consoles we will have more Portal-style games where we can start seeing some interactivity between different zones (i.e. a modern day 'ocarina of time' would have you be able to instantaneously open a portal between different temples. Like maybe a boulder exists in one area and you have to push it through a portal to another area to bridge a previously uncrossable gap). I'm looking forward to seeing what Tears of the Princess will bring, because I bet that'll have some mechanics that will be copied a bunch too.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Fad? No way, man. Grappling hook, if used correctly, is one of the most mechanics in a game.

Returnal is probably the best example and use case of a grappling hook.

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
There are very few games with a grappling hook that can grapple anywhere.
Hence it being a gameplay innovation. JC 2 did it, that James Bond game did it (only in multiplayer with grapples turned on, but I already explained that caveat,) etc. Metroid did not.

Like maybe a boulder exists in one area and you have to push it through a portal to another area to bridge a previously uncrossable gap).
Sounds like Banjo-Tooie to me.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I think that in the era of GaaS and batlle passes, the time limited in-game events will become more and more frequents. Maybe not only getting exclusive cosmetic backgrounds or loot and unlocables, but also to get exclusive story bits and missions that you may miss if not playing during that period.

Other than that, I think the next fad (or trend) will be AI generated procedural side quests or conversations with random NPCs, but I think won't see it until a few years in the future.

Also, in a few years in the future, once they mastered next gen engines like UE5 we may also see more procedural environment destruction that affects gameplay in a more natural way than in the currently, canned one: instead of being able to break that specific part of the wall designed to do it, or being able to destroy only that bridge / floor / ceiling prepared to do so, to give more flexibility (something hard to do because it could break level and mission design).

Fad? No way, man. Grappling hook, if used correctly, is one of the most mechanics in a game.

Returnal is probably the best example and use case of a grappling hook.
Yeah, grappling hook (somthing that existed since the '80s in games like Bionic Commando) when well implemented is very cool. I also think that it has been a great addition in Halo Infinite.

Inspector Gadget style personal helicopters. Trust me on this.

Also, BotW style personal gliders ccame after grappling hooks (which really saw a resurgence with JC 2 in the mid to late 2000s.)
I see both as cosmetic variations of the typical jetpack, seen since the 80s in many games, in 3D games the oldest I remember is Duke Nukem 3D. Or as other similar gliding gameplay mechanics we saw since the 80s. Or more recently, in 3D in many games like Sonic Adventure, Little Big Planet 2 (Nintendo loves to get ideas from LBP), Batman Arkham, Assassin's Creed 2, Just Cause etc.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Yeah, grappling hook (somthing that existed since the '80s in games like Bionic Commando) when well implemented is very cool. I also think that it has been a great addition in Halo Infinite.

Infinite's SP campaign benefited greatly from the increased mobility. I think it's the best Halo campaign since H3.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
Just Cause grapple + wingsuit is fucking nuts
Tethering shit to other shit and watching the mayhem never gets old.

12968.gif

• fire
Reactions: Nym

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Some food for thought…

I believe use of web-slinging and the gameplay concepts associated with spider-man also lean heavily into grapple mechanics.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Some food for thought…

I believe use of web-slinging and the gameplay concepts associated with spider-man also lean heavily into grapple mechanics.

The dude who developed the swing mechanics from 2 made some indie game that was all about skillful grappling, I forget what it was called now. It looked really rough but the mechanics were cool.

To this day nothing has done high speed grappling like SM2 did, I used to get swinging so fast in that game that it would glitch out and everything would just freeze in place lol