Great Games Which Have Aged Poorly

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Remember creating a similar thread on another forum and was reminded again on twitter.

What are the great games for the time which have aged poorly.

I know some will disagree saying great games don’t age and if they do it was never a great game in the first place.

Disagree it is possible.

Theres one game that comes to mind for me.

Goldeneye on the N64.

Probably my most played game that generation which is considered universally as a great game.

Tried many times to replay. It feels average now.

Of course the standards of FPS is so high now which doesn’t help.

Reactions: rofif
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Mods could you please change ‘ages’ to ‘aged’ in the title thread.

Thanks.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
I have trouble trying to think about what exactly aged well. It feels subjective in a way. Like in a way I could say super Metroid aged poorly because of x reason or like street fighter 2 aged poorly because x reason. A complaint about the game could be prefectly valid but another person could have a disagreement on it.

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar
OP
OP
Muddasar

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
I have trouble trying to think about what exactly aged well. It feels subjective in a way. Like in a way I could say super Metroid aged poorly because of x reason or like street fighter 2 aged poorly because x reason. A complaint about the game could be prefectly valid but another person could have a disagreement on it.

It is subjective. Hence the thread.

For me personally Goldeneye is the only great game which has aged poorly.

It was a great game which plays like shit now.

Can’t say the same for other games. Super Metroid and SF2 are still brilliant to me.

Reactions: Snes nes

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
Street Fighter 2 feels completely unplayable to me now

Reactions: Bryank75

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
golden eye always sucked, the reason people liked it is cause they didn't know better. quake was already out and far better

Airbus

Veteran
30 Jun 2022
Game that aged and deserved to be remaked

- metal gear solid 4
- resident evil outbreak 1+ 2
- legends of dragoon
- folklore
- lair
- resistance
- crono cross
- suikoden
- condemned
- lord of the rings
- nba street
- sly cooper
- final fantasy 6
- witcher 1
- Jak

29 Dec 2023
Skopje, Macedonia
IMO 3D games tend to age far worse than 2d ones in most cases.
I never stopped playing 8 and 16bit games and even game & watch games and such, but I rarely go back to 3D action games or platformers on the N64, PS1 or Saturn games even tho I love them. Their controls, camera issues, collision issues and overall game design thought process the developers had at the time just doesn't sit well with me, it's not something I can just pick up and play for a few minutes and experience a nice, polished game. I have to be in just the right kind of mood to replay these games.

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
It is subjective. Hence the thread.

For me personally Goldeneye is the only great game which has aged poorly.

It was a great game which plays like shit now.

Can’t say the same for other games. Super Metroid and SF2 are still brilliant to me.

Yeah. I like goldeneye but it seems a lot of people don’t like it though. I never understood the complaints tbh. Only thing I could say bad about super Metroid though is that it’s got a lot of limitations due to the system it was on. Like the underwater segments are really choppy at times but manageable.

Reactions: Muddasar

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Yeah. I like goldeneye but it seems a lot of people don’t like it though. I never understood the complaints tbh. Only thing I could say bad about super Metroid though is that it’s got a lot of limitations due to the system it was on. Like the underwater segments are really choppy at times but manageable.
75% of the problem is the n64 controller was absolute ass

Reactions: Snes nes

Snes nes

Banned
4 Aug 2023
75% of the problem is the n64 controller was absolute ass

Idk to me I like the controller but some of the games like Turok forcing you to use the control stick to aim and dpad to move was kind of hard to get the hang of to me. I think it’s fine for other games like killer instinct and Mario 64 Though. I do think that it’s a combination of the controller and unweildy layouts for the games.

Ramala

6 Dec 2023
Game that aged and deserved to be remaked

- metal gear solid 4
- resident evil outbreak 1+ 2
- legends of dragoon
- folklore
- lair
- resistance
- crono cross
- suikoden
- condemned
- lord of the rings
- nba street
- sly cooper
- final fantasy 6
- witcher 1
- Jak
I'd kill for a Resistance remake. Or an R1-3 remaster in VR or something.

Reactions: Airbus