GTA 6 Production Reportedly Falling Behind, Rockstar Urges Staff To Return To Office To Avoid Delay |UP| Tom Henderson calls BS...

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Kotaku has also learned that it’s becoming more and more likely that the sequel might not land until late 2025. It’s also possible that it could even slip into 2026 as production reportedly falls behind.

In February, following numerous leaks, Bloomberg reported that Rockstar Games was mandating its employees to return to work five days a week in the office beginning in April. The short notice and drastic change caught many by surprise and has led to frustration from staff who feel like they are being pushed out after being hired remotely, as reported by Aftermath on March 19.

While security and quality are reportedly the main reasons Rockstar is instituting the mandate to return to the office, I was told by sources—who wish to remain anonymous to avoid possible retaliation—that development on GTA 6 has started “falling behind.” I’m told this has leadership at Rockstar nervous and worried about the game missing the 2025 window and slipping into 2026, and is another big reason the company is pushing for a return to the office in April

At the moment, I’m told that Rockstar is still “aiming” for GTA 6 to arrive in Spring 2025. While an early 2025 release is the goal, sources say they aren’t sure if this will happen and a Fall 2025 launch seems more plausible and feasible. Meanwhile, delaying the game to 2026 is on the table as a sort of “fallback plan” or “emergency” option if needed.

And of course, it should be noted—and I was reminded when talking to folks about this situation—that Rockstar Games historically waits until the “last minute” to make changes or alter plans, so the next trailer for the game—no word on when to expect that—might not reflect a delay as the company pushes forward on development.

Kotaku has contacted Rockstar Games

Speaking to Aftermath, one employee shared concerns that after improving over the last few years, Rockstar Games could slide back into dev crunch as GTA VI enters the final part of its long development.

“We’re concerned about going back to that,” said one Rockstar employee to Aftermath.

“I’ve been through a couple of projects, both of which had crunch. The first one was extremely difficult. I had way less gray hair back then. ... We want to continue the strides we’ve made as a company to remove that toxic culture.”

Even if the game is internally pushed back until late 2025 or is publicly delayed until 2026, that doesn’t mean workers—who are being forced to return to the office against their wishes—won’t have to crunch. In fact, sometimes delays just mean more crunch. Regardless, it’s clear that GTA 6’s final year or so of development won’t be easy or quick as the company aims for early 2025.

Update...

Tom Henderson disputes claim

Last edited:

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
They're going to do everything they can to bring it out in 2025.

2026 is a very late release.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
They're going to do everything they can to bring it out in 2025.

2026 is a very late release.
Super crunch now it makes sense why thy wanted ppl back in office. I didn't connect the dots before.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Evilms

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
  • GTA III postponed (due to 11 September).
  • GTA Vice City released 22 October 2002 > postponed 29 October 2002.
  • GTA San Andreas released 19 October 2004 > postponed 26 October 2004.
  • GTA IV released 16 October 2007 > postponed 28 April 2008 (technical issues on PS3 and storage issues on 360).
  • GTA V released spring 2013 > postponed 17 September 2013.
  • RDR1 released autumn 2009 > postponed April then released 18 May 2010.
  • RDR2 released autumn 2017 > postponed 26 October 2018.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
  • GTA III postponed (due to 11 September).
  • GTA Vice City released 22 October 2022 > postponed 29 October 2022.
  • GTA San Andreas released 19 October 2004 > postponed 26 October 2004.
  • GTA IV released 16 October 2007 > postponed 28 April 2008 (technical issues on PS3 and storage issues on 360).
  • GTA V released spring 2013 > postponed 17 September 2013.
  • RDR1 released autumn 2009 > postponed April then released 18 May 2010.
  • RDR2 released autumn 2017 > postponed 26 October 2018.
Here comes my boy with the data! Go head playboy we see you 👀

Where does this info come from?

Evilms

Graph Master
21 Jun 2022
Here comes my boy with the data! Go head playboy we see you 👀

Where does this info come from?

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Thank you Bro, appreciated.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022

Kotaku has also learned that it’s becoming more and more likely that the sequel might not land until late 2025. It’s also possible that it could even slip into 2026 as production reportedly falls behind.

In February, following numerous leaks, Bloomberg reported that Rockstar Games was mandating its employees to return to work five days a week in the office beginning in April. The short notice and drastic change caught many by surprise and has led to frustration from staff who feel like they are being pushed out after being hired remotely, as reported by Aftermath on March 19.

While security and quality are reportedly the main reasons Rockstar is instituting the mandate to return to the office, I was told by sources—who wish to remain anonymous to avoid possible retaliation—that development on GTA 6 has started “falling behind.” I’m told this has leadership at Rockstar nervous and worried about the game missing the 2025 window and slipping into 2026, and is another big reason the company is pushing for a return to the office in April

At the moment, I’m told that Rockstar is still “aiming” for GTA 6 to arrive in Spring 2025. While an early 2025 release is the goal, sources say they aren’t sure if this will happen and a Fall 2025 launch seems more plausible and feasible. Meanwhile, delaying the game to 2026 is on the table as a sort of “fallback plan” or “emergency” option if needed.

And of course, it should be noted—and I was reminded when talking to folks about this situation—that Rockstar Games historically waits until the “last minute” to make changes or alter plans, so the next trailer for the game—no word on when to expect that—might not reflect a delay as the company pushes forward on development.

Kotaku has contacted Rockstar Games

Speaking to Aftermath, one employee shared concerns that after improving over the last few years, Rockstar Games could slide back into dev crunch as GTA VI enters the final part of its long development.

“We’re concerned about going back to that,” said one Rockstar employee to Aftermath.

“I’ve been through a couple of projects, both of which had crunch. The first one was extremely difficult. I had way less gray hair back then. ... We want to continue the strides we’ve made as a company to remove that toxic culture.”

Even if the game is internally pushed back until late 2025 or is publicly delayed until 2026, that doesn’t mean workers—who are being forced to return to the office against their wishes—won’t have to crunch. In fact, sometimes delays just mean more crunch. Regardless, it’s clear that GTA 6’s final year or so of development won’t be easy or quick as the company aims for early 2025.
They have a lot riding on it financially to release next year. T2 has had some restructuring and layoffs and if it’s getting delayed all the way till 2026 they will have more layoffs to make up for huge revenue short falls but they could never cut enough to make up for it. They will probably pull ppl from other projects and delay those to support the gta team.

Sunrise Ninja

5 Feb 2024
I bet they only want people back in the building, no point paying for a building if no one's in it.

gokuss4

28 Jan 2023
The bots in media are terrified by the ps5pro&gta5 combo next year
They know sony have the marketing deal with gta
🤣🤣

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
You know thts voming out on time no matter what. Whatever schedule they have projected

Petekilla

Veteran
16 Jun 2023
Would've been out ages ago if it wasn't for GTA online (I enjoy GTA online but the same map for 10 years doing the same thing pretty much , come on )
It’s actually a good thing that it wasn’t. It would have been a late last gen game. Now we get to see this on current gen.