GTA 6 won't be "wildly different" from GTA 5, former Rockstar dev predicts: "I think maybe people might be a little disappointed on the first day"

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

Former Rockstar Games developer Obbe Vermeij has been sharing his thoughts on Grand Theft Auto 6 and how he thinks it's going to go down with fans, and he believes that it's "going to be the best game out there," even if it could initially disappoint some.

Vermeij isn't involved with GTA 6 as he left Rockstar Games back in 2009. However, before then, he spent almost 14 years as a technical director and played a large role in the programming of GTA 3 and 4, as well as Vice City and San Andreas. Needless to say, he's had a big impact on the Grand Theft Auto series as a whole, and he's got some thoughts on how the upcoming installment is looking right now based on its reveal trailer.

In a new interview with YouTube content creator SanInPlay, Vermeij clarifies that he has "no inside information" about the game, but he's thoroughly impressed with what we've seen. He notes that the trailer's beach scene, where each individual seems to have a unique animation, "blows me away." However, he's not sure how much GTA 6 is really going to differ from the previous game in the series.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
I mean as long as the gameplay mechanics, physics, shooting/ traversal of the world are great and not stuck in 2010 like RDR2... Everything else will be great. The GTA formula was perfected long ago, changing it up too much is what would disappoint.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
GTAVI needs to be GTA but better. I see no reason why they'd take it in a different direction.

All I hope for is story telling more like GTAIV/RDR

On Demand

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jul 2022
The leaked gameplay looked like GTA5 DLC. People were saying it’s an early build that’s why.

The trailer was different from the gameplay and definitely to me looks like something unique from GTA5.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Just give me better of the same and im happy!

Last edited:

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
GTA always feels mostly the same just in a different setting, GTA 5 feels barely any different from GTA 3 or San Andreas, so this doesn't surprise me.

• they're_right_you_know

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Well that's definitely a way to make sure most will be disappointed
What makes you feel that way? I prefer the more serious tone found in IV and RDR series.
GTAV story mode was incredibly disappointing to me and I actually felt like GTAO carried it.

Airbus

Veteran
Icon Extra
30 Jun 2022
Look Back What GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

Gta Rockstar GIF by EsZ  Giphy World

Just bring it on

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
What makes you feel that way? I prefer the more serious tone found in IV and RDR series.
GTAV story mode was incredibly disappointing to me and I actually felt like GTAO carried it.
People don't play GTA for serious tone or deep story, hence GTA 4 is pretty much ignored by the populace. You have to know your audience and satire and over the top characters is what GTA fans want.

Reactions: voke

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Hmmm, it already looks way more detailed and alive than GTA5.
GTA5 was missing some details compared to GTA4, but if GTA6 doesnt have a huge leap that RDR2 and GTA4 had to RDR1 and GTA4, Im not interested.

Rockstar have made so much money and also 15 years to make the greatest GTA ever and most detailed, alive and packed Open world ever. They did a great job with all the extra details RDR2 had and the NPC’s etc. I expect 1multiple times more with GTA6 has no excuses

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Hmmm, it already looks way more detailed and alive than GTA5.
GTA5 was missing some details compared to GTA4, but if GTA6 doesnt have a huge leap that RDR2 and GTA4 had to RDR1 and GTA4, Im not interested.

Rockstar have made so much money and also 15 years to make the greatest GTA ever and most detailed, alive and packed Open world ever. They did a great job with all the extra details RDR2 had and the NPC’s etc. I expect 1multiple times more with GTA6 has no excuses
In GTA V's defense they ran into memory issues on those consoles and had to cut stuff given the scope of the world and everything going on.

But I'm sure Rockstar will not disappoint with details in GTA 6.

• thisistheway
Reactions: Kokoloko

YeezyDude

17 Jun 2024
Denmark
As long as the game is as good as GTA V or better so am I happy anyway... With better graphics, more things to do etc. of course!

Reactions: Kokoloko