Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled, As Studio Focuses On Live Service

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
However, there's bad news for fans of couch co-op – the local split-screen co-op mode has now been canceled. It's a blow to those who have been waiting since launch for the old-school feature, but it's seemingly a matter of priorities.

"In order to improve and accelerate ongoing live service development, and to better address player feedback and quality of life updates, we have reallocated studio resources and are no longer working on local campaign split-screen co-op," said 343 Industries.

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States

Halo Infinite developer 343 Industries is growing and improving the game in a number of exciting ways, but unfortunately for some, the promised local couch co-op feature has been canceled.

The studio confirmed today that it has canceled local campaign co-op for Halo Infinite because it is choosing to allocate development resources elsewhere. 343's developers will focus on Halo Infinite's live service, and not on local couch co-op.

DynamiteCop

Banned
2 Jul 2022
I'm just completely failing to understand what is so difficult about getting these features in play. I still love this game but the amount of time and decisions that are being made just perplex me.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
I don’t think it is about being easy or hard to implement feature but about budget.

You have day one Gamepass + F2P model that basically drops the budget you have in a project because it doesn’t get that money back like in a traditional sales model.

So you have to start to allocate the development resources where matter most… the live service part instead others feature that will get cancelled.

It makes business sense.. it just not good for consumers.

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
I don’t think it is about being easy or hard to implement feature but about budget.

You have day one Gamepass + F2P model that basically drops the budget you have in a project because it doesn’t get that money back like in a traditional sales model.

So you have to start to allocate the development resources where matter most… the live service part instead others feature that will get cancelled.

It makes business sense.. it just not good for consumers.

So you guys go from “500 million, biggest budget ever” to “you have to drop the budget because of GamePass!”.

You’d have a point if they were announcing that 343 was abandoning Infinite altogether but they’re still working on it. The budget isn’t being slashed or anything. Clearly they think content updates are more important than split screen co-op. Plus AFAIK it’s not even been killed permanently.

Halo 5 didn’t launch on GamePass and it didn’t have split screen co-op either. This is a 343 = shit problem, not a GamePass problem.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
So you guys go from “500 million, biggest budget ever” to “you have to drop the budget because of GamePass!”.

You’d have a point if they were announcing that 343 was abandoning Infinite altogether but they’re still working on it. The budget isn’t being slashed or anything. Clearly they think content updates are more important than split screen co-op. Plus AFAIK it’s not even been killed permanently.

Halo 5 didn’t launch on GamePass and it didn’t have split screen co-op either. This is a 343 = shit problem, not a GamePass problem.
They clearly said the reason is because they had to allocated resource to others things…

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
They clearly said the reason is because they had to allocated resource to others things…

Yeah but they’re still paying those people to work on the same game. So the budget isn’t being affected. Allocating the same resources elsewhere = the same resources.

Again, you’d have a point if they were abandoning the game altogether but they’re prioritizing. And again, Halo 5 wasn’t affected by GamePass at all and didn’t have the feature either.

D

Deleted member 13

Hmm.. I'm impartial to this. Not sure what to think of it.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022

Hot take. Cancelling split-screen was the right choice.

Couch co-op is no longer something people care for the same way they did in 2002.

I would further argue that campaign co-op in general should’ve been canned. Too late and if they are indeed developing a pve forge mode that uses players’ PvP characters… co-op efforts are better focused there on modes designed for it from the ground up.

And lastly, it’s safe to assume that limitations on the game due to last gen support would gimp One S and X builds more with rendering the game twice with split screen.

Not worth it

Reactions: peter42O

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022
local split screen doesn't bother me. I LAN it up with the fam anyway.
But the fact shit like this when have been pillars since day are just sad to see, what have 343 been doing...