Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled, As Studio Focuses On Live Service

P

peter42O

If only Microsoft knew eight months earlier that Starfield and Redfall were going to be delayed to 2023. They could have delayed Halo Infinite another full year. I agree with cancelling couch co-op. No point in wasting money, time and resources on that shit. 343 Industries continues to be a clusterfuck and Bonnie Ross needs to be removed from 343 because when I see new and more content getting added to Halo MCC than Infinite, there's a problem within 343 in regards to what should be a priority. Well, there's actually a lot of problems within 343 but this is one of the main ones.

Only positive is that im not an online co-op/multi-player gamer whatsoever so none of this affects me personally. Halo Infinite campaign was my 2021 game of the year and yes, 2021 was a weak fucking year. I can see that im not getting my campaign expansion for a very long time.

D

Deleted member 140

Infinite unrealised potential.... 😸

Joking aside, I'd honestly like to see the real demand for couch coop for this game because I'd think most people play online and very few value split screen coop.

OP
OP
ethomaz

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz

Joking aside, I'd honestly like to see the real demand for couch coop for this game because I'd think most people play online and very few value split screen coop.
I trend to agree with that but...

I'm facing this issue for months already... my little want to play games with me.
But he doesn't want to play game with me at his side... he want to play together.
So coop via split screen or full screen is needed.
Of course I wont play Halo with him... so it is not a issue for me but what I'm saying is that there is a market for split screen coop.

The good news is that now with him wanting to play games my wife started to play too... she is now playing with him and several times I got her playing alone.
She is addicted to Astro Playroom while my boy already started to get bored... we tried LittleBigPlanet this week but we reached a point that it become complex to move ahead... he give up.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Damn. I played and loved Halo 1-Reach by playing coop with my brother.
Ive heard the Infinite campaign is pretty good anyway, but this is disappointing to see. I was hoping to play Coop 1 day end of the generation when the console war is over lol

And honestly, 343 really should be cut. After close to a year, saying your gonna release coop and then cancel it… I think thats pretty unheard of for a big title to cancel a popular mode let alone not release with it.

24 Jun 2022
Literally all they have to do is squish the horizontal resolution in half. Even add black bars to the top and bottom if it's a performance-related thing. Games have figured out couch co-op since Sonic 2.

Really embarrassing for the game no matter how you slice it, and damning for 343i but what isn't these days?

Regardless of the demand, it's a feature that's been a staple of the IP for 20+ years. And, it honestly doesn't take that much adjustment to get it to work, considering it will still have online co-op.

I 100% guarantee the hang-up is the Series S. Series X has enough horsepower for two instances of the game world on the same console with adequate framerate and resolution each. Series S does not, at least not to the minimums MS probably would want, considering the single-player already has resolution drops to 560p at times on Series S.

I get Series S might be a good budget system for current-gen, but that's clearly only up to a point. Potentially great value but, this is really a case where I think Series S is actively holding back the Series X and features a game otherwise should have.

Last edited:

DonFerrari

Banned
14 Jul 2022
If only Microsoft knew eight months earlier that Starfield and Redfall were going to be delayed to 2023. They could have delayed Halo Infinite another full year. I agree with cancelling couch co-op. No point in wasting money, time and resources on that shit. 343 Industries continues to be a clusterfuck and Bonnie Ross needs to be removed from 343 because when I see new and more content getting added to Halo MCC than Infinite, there's a problem within 343 in regards to what should be a priority. Well, there's actually a lot of problems within 343 but this is one of the main ones.

Only positive is that im not an online co-op/multi-player gamer whatsoever so none of this affects me personally. Halo Infinite campaign was my 2021 game of the year and yes, 2021 was a weak fucking year. I can see that im not getting my campaign expansion for a very long time.

I don’t think it’ll be coming for years. I can’t remember a game as mismanaged as this. It’s even worse than Crackdown 3.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
when i see people talking about all the big things microsoft will do because they are buying left and right i ask myself if people are taking account the disaster of this game,they cant even manage their most important title
Exactly. Imagine the cluster fuck of Phill trying to fix Acti-Blizzard.

24 Jun 2022
Maybe its a Series S performance issue? Didn’t think it would be

Yeah, definitely most likely. Still recall when DF did an analysis for Halo Infinite campaign on Series S and they noted points where the image was sub-600p.

That is criminal for a console claiming to be current-gen; even 720p is not considered HD anymore and you'd think that would be the lowest it drops on Series S at any particular time.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Kokoloko
24 Jun 2022
I don’t think it is about being easy or hard to implement feature but about budget.

You have day one Gamepass + F2P model that basically drops the budget you have in a project because it doesn’t get that money back like in a traditional sales model.

So you have to start to allocate the development resources where matter most… the live service part instead others feature that will get cancelled.

It makes business sense.. it just not good for consumers.

But doesn't the game have a $500 million earmarked budget? Sure that was meant for 10 years, but...

...I guess MS might've slashed that budget allocation quite a lot in light of the game's evident struggles.

ChorizoPicozo

Veteran
1 Jul 2022
That would be the nail.

On that note Ubisoft has turned around GaaS games through ongoing support. Can 343 possibly do the same? I’m not sure the leadership is there.
And Ubisoft is like a 24hrs dev cicle. People are working in Canada then people keep working in asia right? They have like 1000 devs working