Halo Infinite's Split-Screen Co-Op Has Been Canceled, As Studio Focuses On Live Service

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
And Ubisoft is like a 24hrs dev cicle. People are working in Canada then people keep working in asia right? They have like 1000 devs working
Yeah 343 likely all about breezy hours, no crunch etc.

The perfect oxymoron for time sensitive engineering projects.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Real time footage of 343 dropping the ball…

football.gif

D

Deleted member 140

It's simply too much work to implement it, do I understand that correctly? Which is a little bit confusing because I thought local coop was also a thing with Halo, so I thought they had that in mind from the beginning, when working on this game, but now they can't do it? 🙀

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
It's simply too much work to implement it, do I understand that correctly? Which is a little bit confusing because I thought local coop was also a thing with Halo, so I thought they had that in mind from the beginning, when working on this game, but now they can't do it? 🙀
When you realize that that's not even the worst part.
  • They had never even started working on local co-op. They misled people and strung them along.
  • That's despite MS's public statement just a few years ago in 2017 that Halo will always have split screen co-op. And they canceled it in the very next game.
  • They extended this season to be 10 months! That's despite canceling local co-op. So what were they working on?
  • If this is the state of the game in 2022, imagine what they were going to release in 2020.
  • Phil Spencer knew all this back in 2020, and he publicly lied to everyone that Xbox Series X will have the "best and most diverse launch lineup in history" to sell his consoles.

BadBurger

3 Jul 2022
News has really pissed off fans out there. A lot of people saying they are giving up on the game.

It's about time Microsoft intervene on this sad situation. Shouldn't have released in such a sorry state.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: PropellerEar

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
Oh this backlash is absolutely epic. It’s near universal and loud. A roadmap reveal is supposed to do the exact opposite of that.

And it’s not just the split screen. It’s the delays and little output. The roadmap made it all seems worse than worst case scenario.

I expect once the Activision deal is final is like 2 years LOL that High Moon Studios and Vicarious Visions will work with Creative Assembly on the game as they already have experience with the Tiger/Reach Engine and worked with Bungie directly during the Activision years of Destiny.

343 will turn into some shell developer. That is if the game is still even being developed for at that point.

It’s all on the BR. That is … if this wasn’t the final nail in the coffin… and it could be.

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
You probably can’t run that shit on last gen. especially original xOne. Classic example of vision being hampered by last gen constraints. And they want to support this for a decade? They need to sunset that last gen like it was yesterday.

Obi-Wan

Hello there!
24 Jun 2022
I think this has to be the end of 343. The base game release was surprisingly well received, but everything since has been one PR disaster after another. Even if I argue some of those weren’t deserved, others were. And this news is an objective massive letdown.

I can’t imagine how those looking forward to a big co-op session with an old friend from their Halo 1-3 days feel after waiting all this time just to be told, ‘Nah.’

I’m really starting to think it should be the end of 343. Maybe keep the best and brightest who made Infinite stand out, but everything development and management side needs a reboot.

Papacheeks

Old Guard
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
News has really pissed off fans out there. A lot of people saying they are giving up on the game.

It's about time Microsoft intervene on this sad situation. Shouldn't have released in such a sorry state.

What's even more concerning is how long Microsoft has let this gone on. And its not the only studios with issues.

Like if this was God of war, Sony would have stopped this shit before it even was previewed as a game. They would have intervened mid development.

Shows you the difference.

Sony cares because their lively hood is on the line of every product/title being good and hitting. Microsoft is so rich, that if a game doesn't hit they dont care. If enterprise is still growing and xbox helps it grow even if its not profitable, they don't care.

They make more long term money in servers/enterprise services.

I'v said it here and on gaf and other places. Xbox needs to be run by straight up oldschool entertainment/gaming people. HAVING IT connect to enterprises goals is only making this worse where they still are rotating people in and out from different parts of the company.

Matt booty was not good when he worked at Midway which was a already dying ship. Like wtf is that guy doing?

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: BadBurger

Vertigo

26 Jun 2022
The BR will be a big deal. That will be like supporting an additional live game if it takes off too. There’s the issue…

I just find it kinda like ridiculous that MS just bought 100 billion in acquisitions over the years and they still had to outsource Infinite to creative assembly.

Heisenberg007

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
The BR will be a big deal. That will be like supporting an additional live game if it takes off too. There’s the issue…

I just find it kinda like ridiculous that MS just bought 100 billion in acquisitions over the years and they still had to outsource Infinite to creative assembly.
That's because MS is incapable of nurturing and/or managing its in-house game studios. That has always been the case and especially since Phil Spencer took the lead.

They couldn't manage 5 studios, and now the same people are supposed to magically manage 30+ studios. These terrible results are not at all surprising.

Reactions: Papacheeks