Harada: "Development costs are now 10 times more expensive than in the 90's and more than double or nearly triple the cost of Tekken 7"

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy Vii Rebirth
Tekken 8
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Sekiro

newFile-1.jpg
so two remakes, another non story game and fighting game
Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• sad
Reactions: John Elden Ring

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Final Fantasy Vii Rebirth
Tekken 8
Resident Evil 4 Remake
Sekiro

newFile-1.jpg
by the way, i am not saying that SM2 isn't bloated, but, there is objectively good reasons why it can cost more than other games, like for starting, developing location..

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes, Harada is right. Game development costs increase every generation.

In recent ones they added post launch content, motion capture and rebalancing plus servers, and also each new generation games get more detailed and better animations, which needs way more work to make better and more detailed models, textures, materials, visual effects, demanding more artists and time to make the games, plus research in new engines, visual effects and techniques, netcode stuff etc.

On top of that there's the inflation, rising costs of salaries, office costs, tools & licenses, marketing, shipping, materials to make the physical games etc.

In Moby Games Tekken 8 has over 1800 employees listed, Tekken 7 had 913, Tekken 5 had over 343 people, Tekken 4 had 161, Tekken 2 had 61 and Tekken 1 had 51 people.

It happened to al AAA devs, not only Bandai Namco.

But again, Elden Ring, was made in Japan, name 3-4 games with that budget in Japan?
Some games more with similar or more developers credited in their staff roll than Elden Ring:

Armored Core VI
Final Fantasy XVI (like 2-3 times the size of the ER staff)
Ghostwire Tokyo
Gran Turismo 7
Hi-Fi Rush
Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth
Naruto X Boruto: Ultimate Ninja - Storm Connections
Resident Evil Village
Street Fighter 6
The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

Last edited:
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
Conveniently leaving out the fact gaming is a much larger business now than it was in the 90s aswell as now charging a subscription for online on consoles & lots of games having MTX / battles passes etc

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Conveniently leaving out the fact gaming is a much larger business now than it was in the 90s aswell as now charging a subscription for online on consoles & lots of games having MTX / battles passes etc
of course, in earth, there was 5,3B people, now, it is over 8B people. economic and purchasing power way way bigger.
they acting like, oh, pity me, i can't afford my 5th jacht and 12th Ferrarri.

Reactions: Would_you_kindly
27 Jun 2023
United kingdom
of course, in earth, there was 5,3B people, now, it is over 8B people. economic and purchasing power way way bigger.
they acting like, oh, pity me, i can't afford my 5th jacht and 12th Ferrarri.
Gaming in the 90s was more of a niche & you were considered a nerd / geek , now it's mainstream & I believe the most profitable entertainment media

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Pfff, bro, Elden Ring has no real story, motion capture, real characters, proper voice over. Recycled animations left and right with PS4 graphics. With bugs, clipping, lack of polish which cost money etc..

But again, Elden Ring, was made in Japan, name 3-4 games with that budget in Japan?

Halo cost 400 million

Reactions: Gamernyc78

historia

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Jun 2023
Well he is right.

AAA games nowadays require thousands of personnel on a projects, from small 3D model, textures to games logics, compilers, different API implementation. Games in 90s priced a bit less but take ways less personnels therefore cost ways less

While CPI between a random 2020s year and 1990s year is less than 1.5, operating costs and office spaces in Tokyo has skyrocketed somewhere between 400-500%.

A solution is outsourcing but it could end up screw up project pipeline, lower production and probably the whole project leaks early thanks to Western insider industry like vultures looking for fleshes.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
500M excluding support after that 😂

Cross-media push. I would include the cost of that dogwater show into it too. Halo has only been further diminished. It was all supposed to come together and the stooges were supposed to be able to claim “Halo is back!” for more than just two weeks.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Cross-media push. I would include the cost of that dogwater show into it too. Halo has only been further diminished. It was all supposed to come together and the stooges were supposed to be able to claim “Halo is back!” for more than just two weeks.
That 400 million included alot of other shit they were full of shit with tht number.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
That 400 million included alot of other shit they were full of shit with tht number.

I forgot to include that I consider the real number spent on halo to be greater that the rumored 500 million. Especially considering they need to rebuild a dev for the series all over again.