Has a game ever inspired or encouraged you to do something IRL?

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Has a game ever inspired or encouraged you to do something IRL?

I think when I was a kid I wanted to try many of the stuff I tried in games, like example after playing California Games I wanted to try Skate boarding, Hacky Sack, BMX, Frisbee... surfing I knew not to even consider living in the Nordics.
Road rash with my cheapo 80s style toyshop skate board, hitting my nuts on the BMX bike of my friend when trying to do jumps/tricks, Hacky Sack was boring, only thing that I still do is some frisbee with doggo or sometimes discgolf.

Also gaming inspired me into programming, loaned all the Basic books from the library and messed with my Amiga to make my first game.

Being good at games made me a good/modest winner, couldn't rub my winnings in with a sore looser big sister and brother. Would get the taste of NES controller in the face/head or something similar if I did.

Playing football(soccer) or ice hockey games always inspired me to go get the neighborhood kids together for an IRL game.

Any stories you want to share?

D

Deleted member 417

Doing the Gears of War rodeo run while working out/running. Doing it on a step-machine is a thigh+ arse killer.

I look behind every waterfall I can, there has to be something there and I'm still trying to get the knack to sticking plungers to a wall and climb them.

In all seriousness though, playing games like Monkey Island, Broken Sword, BaSS etc as a kid, has given me great problem solving skills and the ability to think outside of the box. Combined with strategy games like C&C, settlers, simcity and AoE I have excellent resource management skills and with the tactics I picked up playing theme park, I understand how to fleece people for money (extra salty fries stationed next to an above average priced drinks stall).

Reactions: PropellerEar

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
I played god of war and went to bed with a couple of Greek ladies.

Jk

Not really been inspired by any games.

• haha
Reactions: Bryank75
OP
OP
PropellerEar

PropellerEar

Veteran
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I played god of war and went to bed with a couple of Greek ladies.
Why not a manly brawls with chunky & hunky Norwegian men?
giphy.webp

• haha

arvfab

Oldest Guard
23 Jun 2022
Learning to play piano was always a dream I wanted to fulfill someday. I still am not good at it, but To Zanarkand is the reason why I can read notes and learned to play a bit.

Also, I think my English improved a lot thanks to video games.

Summer Nightmares

12 Jan 2023
So many I can't even remember all of them haha. Just a couple off the top of my head:

• Learning how to play the guitar after playing Guitar Hero 3
  • Picked up skateboarding when I was playing some Tony Hawk's game
  • I was never into sports when I was a kid except for when I was playing something like FIFA, PES (F) or NBA
  • Me and my friends used to race our bikes and create all types of rules when we played Need For Speed Underground 2... We also bought bubble gum that came with stickers, that was our form of "bike tuning" :LOL:

• fire

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Back around the time of Tekken 4, I was about a green belt in ITF Taekwon-do but I wasn't really trying too hard, just going to the classes.

Playing Tekken, really inspired / influenced me to try harder, go running and doing circuits with the club on weekends and basically practicing any time I was free...

Went to a good lot of competitions after that and got my blackbelt in the following years, also helped teach classes etc.

Was a great time, I was really immersed in it.

Nym

Did you like my Glasses, Snake?
21 Jun 2022
THPS was integral to a lot of people my age getting into skateboarding