Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
the people that work for her love working for her, thats about all i need to know as far as her managing a studio. What creatives she gets to make the game is another story.

she's great at managing and bringing it talent.
Having a 1st party Sony studio is going to bring in talent either way. Now you've got that option living in Montreal, and there is prestige to that.

I am like everyone else curious to see what comes out of it, I'm just not really excited by the "suit" in charge.

Her last big game was one of the most controversial ever for MTX/loot boxes. Those are the types of things you should look for for an executives past.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Having a 1st party Sony studio is going to bring in talent either way. Now you've got that option living in Montreal, and there is prestige to that.

I am like everyone else curious to see what comes out of it, I'm just not really excited by the "suit" in charge.

Her last big game was one of the most controversial ever for MTX/loot boxes. Those are the types of things you should look for for an executives past.

I’d be more convinced it was a publisher thing rather than a her thing. Considering the path Ubisoft is heading down still with NFT.

And the fact that most of those people joining Haven worked with her before kind of proves that they enjoy having her as a boss

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I’d be more convinced it was a publisher thing rather than a her thing. Considering the path Ubisoft is heading down still with NFT.

And the fact that most of those people joining Haven worked with her before kind of proves that they enjoy having her as a boss
Sure... that's always a good sign.

But Legion Labs is a "power of the cloud" company for instance.. which is what she got into for nearly 2 years at Google. It's been years since she didn't produce a game that was related to something gamers hate... lol

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jade Raymond is basically a "suit"; someone with a CS degree who very quickly got into management when she got into gaming.

Her career isn't all roses to me, so I don't quite get why everyone is so excited. She was closest to the dev of AC1 which was super mediocre in the end. Then of course she executive produced AC2.... which came out the next year.

She appears to be responsible for the "release every year assembly line" style development practice, which obviously became successful, but is also part of the infamous Ubisoft "formula" talk.

She also produced SW Battlefront 2 the king of loot box controversy.

Then she went big on Cloud with Google and produced some total turds we've never heard of. Most of us think anyone big on cloud are idiots don't we?

Is she good at being an executive? I don't know.. she's obviously been VERY money focused... churning out games every year... being big on loot box mechanics.

Is that exciting as a gamer? Not really... it's probably what attracted Sony to her, aside from having worked with her in the past.
You have no fucking idea about who she is, her career, skills and achievements. This is why you are so wrong and don't get it.

She started as a brilliant programmer at Sony Online Entertainment where she created their first R&D group, became a very successful producer in several innovative, challenging and super successul games and new IPs. Things like The Sims Online where online games weren't a thing, got tasked to save a failed PoP sequel that was going to be cancelled and turned into the massive hit IP Assassin's Creed, ot tasked to save a failed Driver sequel that was going to be cancelled and turned it into the massive hit Watchdogs, was promoted to executive producer in charge of new IPs where she did help to release very successful ones like The Division, For Honor, Valiant Hearts, Grow Home, The Crew and more plus to revive IPs with games like Splinter Cell Blacklist or Rainbow Six Siege to name a few. Got tasked to create and lead a new studio and it quickly became (Ubisoft Toronto) the second biggest and most successful one of the company, being key for series like AC, Far Cry or some of the other ones I mentioned and more.

Got hired by EA to build a new studio (Motive) and help Visceral, quickly grew with a lot of Ubisoft staff and key people from many top studios including the creator of Portal. They worked on an Uncharted-like Star Wars game until EA canned it and did shut down Visceral because EA changed their mind and decided didn't want single player games anymore and wanted multiplayer and lootboxes instead. Motive had nothing to do with the lootboxes of Battlefront 2 because Motive there was only a support team that made its campaign mode. They also made Star Wars Squadrons and when many like her left to Google they were working on Dead Space remake and an unannounced single player new IP.

Google hired her to become Google VP & Head of Games and Entertainment and was named to the Board of Directors for the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences (like the Academy of the cinema for the Oscars but for videogames, the one that runs the DICE awards). At Google she was tasked to create multiple internal game development teams that would make Stadia exclusive games, she quickly built them with many staff from top AAA studios but mostly people who previously worked with her in the previous companies. EA realized Stadia was a failure and decided to shut down their exclusive games strategy and internal gamedev studios.

So she left and created her own studio, Haven, with former coworkers from mostly her previous teams and other top AAA teams that same month and a month or two later she already signed a 2nd party deal with Sony and a year after creating the studio Sony bought it because are super happy with them and are progressing better than expected.

People who worked with her say she's very skilled, intelligent, nice and a great leader. Many top indutry people like Hideo Kojima are fans and/or friends of her.
But Legion Labs is a "power of the cloud" company for instance.. which is what she got into for nearly 2 years at Google. It's been years since she didn't produce a game that was related to something gamers hate... lol
Another one who has no idea of what is talking about. She didn't work more as producer because was she was promoted to executive producer and studio manager. It would be like to complain she stopped programming when she was promoted to producer. I suggest you to read above a quick version of her career.

Legion Labs have nothing to do with the MS concept of "the power of the cloud", Google or Stadia. They don't work in cloud games. In fact they don't even make (or made if no longer exist) games. They are/were making a normal next gen game engine for normal (not related to cloud) next gen games.

The thing is that the framework/tools/files that the devs will use when developing with this engine will be in the cloud, which eases and makes faster the game development for several reasons because in game development there's a lot of time wasted sending/uploading/downloading files, making renders, compiling new versions, synchronizing stuff between workers, etc. Many of these tasks are made faster when using different cloud based solutions. So where their engine innovates is having all this stuff in the cloud so they increase the productivity of the devs using these tools and files in many ways.

If you're talking about Battlefront II, her studio wasn't in charge of the game, and only made its single player campaing. And EA cancelled her single player Star Wars for being a single player game with no lootboxes.

And Battlefront II wasn't her last game.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
You have no fucking idea about who she is, her career, skills and achievements. This is why you are so wrong and don't get it.

Jesus christ man lol

She isn't credited on most of the games you listed there... so not sure why you are giving credit for those. Like find me a single thing saying she is in any way responsible for The Division?

Like you are giving her credit for games that came out YEARS after she left Ubisoft lol

I'm well aware of what she is actually KNOWN to be behind.. well aware of Sony Online, well aware of Watch Dogs.. nothing I said was inaccurate. She has a CS degree (I mentioned) but she QUICKLY became more of an executive in her career. That is an absolute fact.

And that's neat that AC was a "massive hit" the OG game was FUCKING GARBGE dude. lol That's kinda my point; her biggest claim to fame was a glorified tech demo for it's first iteration.

I'll just leave it at that because you are way too invested

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Jesus christ man lol

She isn't credited on most of the games you listed there... so not sure why you are giving credit for those. Like find me a single thing saying she is in any way responsible for The Division?

Like you are giving her credit for games that came out YEARS after she left Ubisoft lol

I'm well aware of what she is actually KNOWN to be behind.. well aware of Sony Online, well aware of Watch Dogs.. nothing I said was inaccurate. She has a CS degree (I mentioned) but she QUICKLY became more of an executive in her career. That is an absolute fact.

And that's neat that AC was a "massive hit" the OG game was FUCKING GARBGE dude. lol That's kinda my point; her biggest claim to fame was a glorified tech demo for it's first iteration.

I'll just leave it at that because you are way too invested
I give her credit because she was the Executive Producer in charge of new IPs at Ubisoft setting an strategy for new IPs, helping improve the pitches and greenlighting them. Some of them were developed and in some cases released before she left:

image.png

Others not and when released after she left because some big AAA games take many years to be developed, specially when are new IPs. As an example I know Watchdogs took over 7 years of development because I was an Ubisoft employee back then.

She started to work as programmer in 1998 at SCE where she was team leader. Then she was producer in The Sims Online, There (it was from a startup, they raised $100M in VC) and AC and after releasing it in 2007 she was promoted to executive producer, around after 10 years of career most of them being very successful leading teams. She was very successful there so they promoted her to VP of Ubisoft and tasked her to create and lead Ubisoft Toronto.

She was very successfull to at that so this is why EA and Google also hired her as VP and to create and lead studios. And also why gives enough confidence to Sony to sign them first a 2nd party and later buy their studio so fast.

You may see the first AC as "that garbage glorified tech demo", but the industry see its as a very successful, innovative, ambitious and impressive new IP back then that got a 81 MC, sold many millions of copies and became one of the most successful IPs in gaming history selling over 155 million copies (plus the movie, books, and so on) as of 2020, before releassing AC Valhalla, the most successful game in the series. And as the producer of the game was the one in charge of its development, in the same way that later as executive producer, VP or studio boss had other roles. And being so successful with many games, new IPs and teams is why she was so valued by Ubi, EA, Google, Sony etc.

Regarding being not credited, an executive producer who sets a new IP strategy and helps to greenlight or tweak pitches or the boss of the studio often isn't credited. Specially if when the game gets released when she left the company.

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
I give her credit because she was the Executive Producer in charge of new IPs at Ubisoft setting an strategy for new IPs, helping improve the pitches and greenlighting them. Some of them were developed and in some cases released before she left:

Yes "within the Ubsisoft montreal studio." You can't just go giving her credit for stuff like The Division, developed in Europe.. released after she left.

You are over-crediting her.. look at her own linked in, look at the games she's directly involved in.. those are safely accredited to her obviously, and that's what she actually talks about.

You may see the first AC as "that garbage glorified tech demo", but the industry see its as a very successful, innovative, ambitious and impressive new IP back then that got a 81 MC, sold many millions of copies and became one of the most successful IPs in gaming history

I mean that's great; nobody is denying her past success. The Sims Online was a success, do I really care? Not really... AC was a success, and you are welcome to disagree, I found the game almost insulting. They developed a cool parkour system and painted a nice world and then released what I considered a completely unfinished game. To me that is a direct knock on the person responsible for the game at the executive level.. they then turn around and sell you AC2 for full price the next year.. impressive feat as a producer for sure... but again, exciting as a consumer? Not to me. it's the anti-thesis to just focusing on a good product, to instead focus on yearly releases.. and if she gets credit for anything, it's that assembly line approach.

You seem to be ignoring much of what she's been up to the last number of years either way though... ignoring that she's the executive behind the biggest loot box controversy in the industry.. ignoring that you probably can't name me any game she's been involved in since she left EA, even though Stadia did produce some under her...

I'm not saying her company isn't capable of producing something great, but they are far from a sure bet... and having Jade Raymond at the helm isn't even all that meaningful IMO.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Yes "within the Ubsisoft montreal studio." You can't just go giving her credit for stuff like The Division, developed in Europe.. released after she left.
She meant Ubisoft Montreal is the studio from where she worked back then (she later moved to Ubisoft Toronto). Ubisoft Montreal is (and was back then) the biggest and most important studio of Ubisoft.

The Division wasn't developed only in Europe, they had their lead development studio there but many people from many studios from all around the world worked on it. In the same way that games that have a lead studio from Canada aren't developed only there. Ubisoft has dozens of studios around the world and on top of that they also work with external outsourcing development studios, and many internal and external marketing, PR, CS, sales, CM teams, music studios and many more spread all around the world. Thousands of people from many differnt countries work in these AAA games.

A Ubisoft game can have its lead development studio anywhere in the world, several support development studios anywhere else around the world, outsourcing studios in other places around the world, to have its editorial team an executives in Paris and brand managers and more executives elsewhere but mostly in Canada because it's by far were they have more people related to development. It's a global corporation.

As an example the motion capture, voice acting and user research of games like The Division were made in Ubisoft Toronto too.

You are over-crediting her.. look at her own linked in, look at the games she's directly involved in.. those are safely accredited to her obviously, and that's what she actually talks about.
I am not over-crediting her. In fact I'm undercrediting her because I'm not mentioning many games where her teams worked on while she was their boss including some released after she left the company.

I mean that's great; nobody is denying her past success. The Sims Online was a success, do I really care? Not really... AC was a success, and you are welcome to disagree, I found the game almost insulting. They developed a cool parkour system and painted a nice world and then released what I considered a completely unfinished game. To me that is a direct knock on the person responsible for the game at the executive level.. they then turn around and sell you AC2 for full price the next year.. impressive feat as a producer for sure... but again, exciting as a consumer? Not to me. it's the anti-thesis to just focusing on a good product, to instead focus on yearly releases.. and if she gets credit for anything, it's that assembly line approach.
You may not like the games where she worked on, but it's a fact she worked in many super successful games, including super successful new IPs and build and leaded different AAA teams who worked in many hits that again you may or may not like.

You seem to be ignoring much of what she's been up to the last number of years either way though... ignoring that she's the executive behind the biggest loot box controversy in the industry.. ignoring that you probably can't name me any game she's been involved in since she left EA, even though Stadia did produce some under her...

I am not ignoring them, you would know it if you would read what I posted in this thread.

As an example when I said "Motive had nothing to do with the lootboxes of Battlefront 2 because Motive there was only a support team that made its campaign mode. They also made Star Wars Squadrons and when many like her left to Google they were working on Dead Space remake and an unannounced single player new IP." I also mentioned she also was in charge of Visceral and that EA (not her) killed their Star Wars game leaded by Amy Hennig and did shut down the studio because it was single player and didn't feature lootboxes.

I also talked about her work at Google. Where she wasn't producer, but Vice President & Head of Games and Entertainment. She was in charge of the Stadia exclusive games but specially building and leading their internal dev teams that Google did shut down before they were able to ship their first games as I mentioned (and not because of the teams of the projects Sony signed for them in a month or so and wanted all 3 projects). As I said, I undercredited her because I didn't mention everything she did. As an example when she was in Google they did publish a few games developed in external studios: Submerged, Outcasters or Gylt. This last one was developed by a local indie team from here, I'm friend of some of them including their top managers. She also did help/work on additional Ubisoft or EA games I didn't mention (in addition to the big list of games of Ubi Toronto that where developed -not only as lead studio- when she was their studio manager and Ubi VP but not anymore as producer or executive producer -released both before and after she left-).

I'm not saying her company isn't capable of producing something great, but they are far from a sure bet... and having Jade Raymond at the helm isn't even all that meaningful IMO.
And you say I'm the one ignoring her games and work, LOL!

She built and lead several AAA studios and teams who worked in countless super successful AAA games including some super successful new IPs, some of them being produced or executive produced by her. If Sony or anyone else wants someone to build and lead AAA studio to create new top AAA IPs I highly doubt there is anyone else in the world more experienced and successful than her on doing that.

Some fun facts: With over 4 millions in a week, Watchdogs broke the historical record for best sales in launch week for any Ubisoft game and for any new IP in the industry and back then was also the most preordered game of that year and generation. It sold over 10M copies in around 7 months.

Watchdogs also had the record of best launch day sales for any Ubisoft game until The Division got released, which also broke the record of best first week sales for any new IP, selling more than Destiny (which had more day one sales than The Division).

And all that on top of the AC franchise selling over 155 million copies before the best selling, top grossing games of the series AC Valhalla was released.

And these are only some examples, she and her teams worked in a ton of successful games and IPs even if not at tihs level. Sure, nothing meaningful.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
And you say I'm the one ignoring her games and work, LOL!

At this point we are going in a bit of circles bud. You are just crediting everything good that happened while she worked places while ignoring the bad. She is in no way responsible for loot boxes? You say "EA" was? She was a SENIOR VP at EA. She wasn't a lowly dev doing what her EA masters told her, she was the EA master directly responsible for delivering SWBFII and everything "Star Wars" for EA, at the time of that games release. How can you act like she has nothing to do with that? It's fantasy.

She has overseen a lot of stuff, she has a crazy amount of experience particularly at massive publishers as an upper executive. A lot of her stuff is B-/C+ rated games that sold massively... or games that felt half complete until their sequels... it just doesn't excite me.

To me the promise of Haven went up tenfold when Sony bought them; that's what I mean by I don't find Jade Raymond that meaningful. She is the boss at a Sony studio now with all of Sony's resources available to her.

They are also making a multiplayer game.. I have little bandwidth for those...

You seem way more business focused as well.. sales, sales, sales. I just don't care, I am not here to cheerlead whether a studio will make Sony more successful, what I care about are games.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
At this point we are going in a bit of circles bud. You are just crediting everything good that happened while she worked places while ignoring the bad. She is in no way responsible for loot boxes? You say "EA" was? She was a SENIOR VP at EA. She wasn't a lowly dev doing what her EA masters told her, she was the EA master directly responsible for delivering SWBFII and everything "Star Wars" for EA, at the time of that games release. How can you act like she has nothing to do with that? It's fantasy.
You are trying to credit her for bad things where she wasn't involved. She was in charge of Motive, the studio who wasn't in charge of Battlefront II game or it's monetization: Motive was in charge instead of the single player campaign.

Did the Battlefront II story mode feature lootboxes? No
Did Star Wars Squadron game featured lootboxes? No
Did the cancelled single player Star Wars Amy Henning game featured lootboxes? No
Do the (I think cancelled last year) unannounced single player new IP featured lootboxes? No
Do the upcoming Dead Space remake features lootboxes? No

Nothing developed by her teams at EA featured lootboxes. Nothing her team developed at Ubisoft while she was there featured lootboxes.

Yes, she was Senior Vice President of EA but that doesn't mean she decided the monetization of the games. In fact they canned her favorite project there -the Star Wars game- because it wasn't a multiplayer game with lootboxes, which was then was where the company strategy -not set by her- wanted to go.

She has overseen a lot of stuff, she has a crazy amount of experience particularly at massive publishers as an upper executive. A lot of her stuff is B-/C+ rated games that sold massively... or games that felt half complete until their sequels... it just doesn't excite me.
B-/C+ for you, which is ok. But many of them have better reviews and specially have better sales.

You seem way more business focused as well.. sales, sales, sales. I just don't care, I am not here to cheerlead whether a studio will make Sony more successful, what I care about are games.
I show data like sales, revenue or MC because it's objective data that helps analize objectively the performance of a game, studio or company and to compare to similar ones. Or even to use that objective, factual data to get an idea of what that team could achieve in the future.

You instead think that this doesn't matter and instead it's your personal opinion matters. Ok. Here we disagree, I don't think mine or yours gaming personal opinion is the center of the universe, and that it's totally irrelevant to analize the performance of a game, team, IP or studio. I -like companies- think that what really matters is the factual, objective data, not the personal opinion of a single person. Because each person has different opinions, which is ok. But nobody has a personal opinion that is the truth and to make business ignoring the data equals failure.

• brain

IntentionalPun

Veteran
Founder
22 Jun 2022
Urf
onlyfans.com
You are trying to credit her for bad things where she wasn't involved. She was in charge of Motive, the studio who wasn't in charge of Battlefront II game or it's monetization: Motive was in charge instead of the single player campaign.

Right in the TITLE of her job description from linkedin:

"Group General Manager - SVP Motive Studios, POPCap Vancouver and Star Wars"

In the description:

"SVP and Group General Manager of Motive Studios, Popcap Studios and EA’s Star Wars Portfolio"

She was in charge of EA's entire Star Wars portfolio. Including the game w/ had a huge loot box controversy.

I'm not ATTRIBUTING loot boxes to her; I'm saying she was the leader overseeing games that had loot boxes. Did she argue against them? Was it her idea? You or I don't know that... but to just go "Well Jade Raymond had nothing to do with the loot box controversy' is stating things you don't know.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Right in the TITLE of her job description from linkedin:

"Group General Manager - SVP Motive Studios, POPCap Vancouver and Star Wars"

In the description:

"SVP and Group General Manager of Motive Studios, Popcap Studios and EA’s Star Wars Portfolio"

She was in charge of EA's entire Star Wars portfolio. Including the game w/ had a huge loot box controversy.

I'm not ATTRIBUTING loot boxes to her; I'm saying she was the leader overseeing games that had loot boxes. Did she argue against them? Was it her idea? You or I don't know that... but to just go "Well Jade Raymond had nothing to do with the loot box controversy' is stating things you don't know.
Yes, she was in charge of the Star Wars portfolio but as I said she wasn't in charge of the EA monetization strategy or in the case of Battlefront II, game that they were already developing when she got hired by EA. She/Motive got in charge of its single player campaign, and also the development of the (not sure but I'd bet also started before she arrived) no lootboxes and single player Amy Hennig Star Wars (whose development has been restarted outside EA), the no lootboxes and single player Star Wars Squadrons and the -these ones not developed by her teams- no lootboxes and single player Jedi Fallen Order, a no lootboxes The Old Republic expansion and (I assume these featured lootboxes) some mobile games.

I may forget or don't know more stuff she greenlighted or published. All without lootboxes, like the ones her teams published from other studios at Google or the one they are working on at Sony (which started as a project for Google). Or most of the ones she/her team were involved with at Ubisoft (I think Rainbow Six Siege featured lootboxes, not sure).

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Well I think we are all excited/curious to see what the company cooks up either way. Cheers @Yurinka for the interesting convo.
You're welcome. Her current team Haven has many very experienced and talented senior/lead folks in all departments who worked on many top hits like Rainbow Six Siege and also including super successful new IPs like Assassin's Creed or Watchdogs. So have many chances of doing very successful new IPs, which this time they won't start as a project to save a failed sequel. They even surprised Hermen, so must be working in something promising.

Status
Not open for further replies.