having to pay 80$ for psn essential just to be able to access bloodborne and souls online is a scam

Kokoloko

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Sony fan base/ fanboys are to blame. Not MS or Xbox fans. They had a choice. Should have switched to PC in 2014 as soon as the online fee on PS was announced.
It wasnt worth it tbh for me.

I enjoyed the PS exclusives and console experience overall. It was like £4/5 a month for yearly deal or something?
Plus I had subscription before.
People should of uproared more at the time like they did with other things. I think PS fans were happy with the no online always, trade games and no tv of the time. For the price compared to PC it wasnt much of a sacrifice

Reactions: laynelane

Danja1187

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Ive always liked it. I just wish premium had a larger PS1/PS2/PS2 catelogue
Well it's slowly getting better. I expect they will lean more into blostering Premium to push more people there, it's already outpacing extra. A friend of mine got a free 2 weeks Fre Premium trial last week, and apparently it's something they're doing to random users in-hopes of hooking them into Premium. So they're definitely gonna be focusing on this tier going forward.

But the streaming of games alone makes Premium worth it for me personally. It's honestly such a wonderful and handy feature.

PS3 streaming still garbage though them PS3 blades are rotting

laynelane

Veteran
14 Jul 2022
Sony fan base/ fanboys are to blame. Not MS or Xbox fans. They had a choice. Should have switched to PC in 2014 as soon as the online fee on PS was announced.

I'm not interested in playing on PC and, given the millions who play on console, I'm not the only one. I don't agree with the price for PS+ so I don't buy it, but I'm still sympathetic to those who must in order to play online. As well, MS did set a precedent and showed that their players would not only accept it - but use it as a point in favour of their platform. It's not surprising that Sony and Nintendo followed suit although it certainly is shitty.

Reactions: Sircaw
24 Jun 2022
Thank 360 era Microsoft for this one. Their fan base actively glazed them for charging to play online, to the point where Sony was able to copy it with no backlash. Before then, people trashed PS3 online and compared it to welfare 🤣

I think we should be reacting similarly to PC players with this one, it’s a bullshit fee. And Sony/Microsoft are quite lucky to have gotten away with it.

Nintendo is the only one that’s fairly priced imo. PS+ and Gamepass are 2x more expensive than they should be.

TBF, at the time of 360, Microsoft were the only ones who had a robust online gaming option. On PC things were very inconsistent and fragmented (remember, Steam didn't even exist until 2007, and took some years to start building real momentum). On PS2 & PS3 it was also fragmented and inconsistent (including in quality & features), lacking centralization. And Nintendo? For them online gaming was an afterthought.

Microsoft's only competition at that time would've been SEGA had they continued making consoles, thanks to SEGANet. But we all know what happened with Dreamcast. So, if you wanted solid, universally great online gaming of AAA, AA and indie games, with robust, centralized features and good, consistent servers...you needed Xbox Live. The other options all had obvious, serious flaws one way or another.

In that environment, yeah, I probably would've charged for the privilege of online play, too. That started to change by the end of the generation and then really changed when Sony made their online service robust and feature-rich to match Xbox Live. But by that point, the ball was really in Sony's court to force Microsoft's hand. Instead, Sony also ended up charging for online play, and that basically gave Microsoft a clearing to keep with what they (reasonably) solidified in the 360 era.

I'll put it this way: if Sony revamped their online infrastructure the way they did, but kept online play free, Xbox would not have survived as a brand to 2020. It probably would've been shuttered by 2016 TBH. The PS4's other advantages plus free online play would've been too much for Microsoft to handle and they'd of bled too much money trying to price-match PS4 and also get rid of paid Xbox Live on top of that.

They would've needed 10 TitanFall-level hype games, a magnum opus Halo 5, GOW 2018-tier Quantum Break & all the other stuff they had going the first two years, just to maybe stand a chance and fend off shuttering of the brand altogether.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Etifilio

Slyper
27 Jun 2023
in 2014 they actually cared about their console and had real exclusive games that convinced me to stay, i was paying for the subscription but at least i was rewarded with exclusive games, now they don't even have it anymore, everything is PC, that's why today i main on PC

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
They offer a service (PS+) and some products (Bloodborne, Souls...) for a price.

If you're ok with it you can pay for it and get that. If not, don't buy it, nobody forces you. It isn't a scam.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
For everyone saying it’s a “scam” how do you all propose to pay for the infrastructure required to run the online services?

• brain
Reactions: Muddasar

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
For everyone saying it’s a “scam” how do you all propose to pay for the infrastructure required to run the online services?
it wouldn't be a scam even if sony could provide infrastructure at no cost to themselves.

they are selling a service and you are getting what you paid for.
it can't be a scam by definition, because sony is telling you what you get up front, how much you pay for it, and once you pay you get exactly what you paid for.

VillaiN

Veteran
10 Feb 2023
I d rather pay and have good service no cheaters etc.

Do u ever play on pc, supposed amazing free service?

Pc online s filled with hackers, cheaters, boots....Souls, battlefield, cod....

Its free for a reason. Trolls dont want to admit it.

Also do u buy digital? Ps plus gets me some nice saving on sales etc.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022
You don't because 99% of it is hosted by servers in the developer/publishers office unlike Xbox Live way back when. There is hardly any cash coming out of Sony's pocket to justify this racketeering.

64bitmodels

29 Sep 2022

This is the exact type of crap Xbox fans would say around 06 to 14 and you guys are just adopting it because the shoe's on the other foot....

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
You don't because 99% of it is hosted by servers in the developer/publishers office unlike Xbox Live way back when. There is hardly any cash coming out of Sony's pocket to justify this racketeering.
The servers for the PSN store, achievements, PS Stars, friends related stuff like invites, messaging, voice chat, drm, Remote Play (its device connection and security/drm) outside home, user account management and stats (like hours player), anti-hack security etc., maintenance and backups of the whole infrastructure, for 100M+ MAU users aren't free or cheap at all.

Same goes for the online content of the around 50M PS+ subbers: the invites/party management, text chat, voice chat, matchmaking, online leaderboards, cloud saves, Share Play, anti-cheat security and (for many games) dedicated game servers hosted by PSN (when the publishers don't use their own ones and decide to rent them to Sony) etc.

As the server related stuff scales it gets more complicated and expensive to maintain at certain points of growth, the costs per user aren't linear like just adding more servers per X amount of users. There are other solutions that are needed, like including let's say regional "buffers"/"mirrors" to reduce the server saturation for certain stuff already downloaded recently by someone relatively close to you.

And well, this is just the online infrastructure. PS+, even in the Essential tier, also includes the games, discounts, exclusive betas/game content, etc. The games included were the main reason of why people subscribes to the service according to some surveys that were made over time.

Depending on the profitability of each PS+ layer (I assume the higher the more profitable), if they continue increasing the % of subbers that are in Extra or Premium because of the games & similar content included there, maybe at some point they may put some features that now require PS+ essential free for everybody and replace them for some other content.

Something that I don't think is likely in the short/mid term, because Sony wants to increase the SIE profitability to reduce the risk of super expensive AAA games tanking/getting cancelled, something that always happens from time to time even in the top companies.

We also have to consider that console manufacturers, unlike PC stores, also have to pay, in addition to the things I mentioned above -some of which you also mentioned-, OS and drivers development plus also to recover from the loses generated by selling hardware at a loss. So the more revenue they generate the better.

And well, in the case of Sony unlike Valve, Epic or CD Projekt they also develop a shit ton of games at the same time, most of them big AAA titles, which means a ton of yearly money that goes for development. So to have extra revenue also helps to keep the stuff profitable.

Last edited:

Nomen_Nescio

11 Aug 2023
While you may or may not disagree with the price, there's nothing inherently "scam"-like about paying for a service. That's like me saying it's a scam that I bought Callisto Protocol for $70 and never finished the bitch.
I fell for that shit too and finished it too. I would like my time and money back.
How are they selling me a service for charging me to play a 3rd party game online? I already paid for their hardware and am already paying for my internet. They are providing no service for me there and every platform should have free online and offer tiers with actual services as a choice.

OP
OP
rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
I fell for that shit too and finished it too. I would like my time and money back.
How are they selling me a service for charging me to play a 3rd party game online? I already paid for their hardware and am already paying for my internet. They are providing no service for me there and every platform should have free online and offer tiers with actual services as a choice.
I sold that shit game the moment I finished it. Thank god for physical. i got back 40$