Helldivers 2 Co-Op and Combat Gameplay trailer

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
Sony doesn’t put huge marketing campaigns behind them because those cost money and they need to make a return on the game in order to invest that level of marketing. More niche stuff like ratchet, returnal, and now this aren’t games that are garunteed to sell 4+ mllion copies so they can’t put 100m dollar marketing behind them.

Selling them for 70 dollars is also pretty dumb. I hope sony learned from R&C and Returnals releases since then

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Never played part one but this looks gorgeous. Love the terrain and different atmospheres/environments/weather. I'm all over this day one!

Last edited:

anonpuffs

Veteran
Icon Extra
29 Nov 2022
Sony doesn’t put huge marketing campaigns behind them because those cost money and they need to make a return on the game in order to invest that level of marketing. More niche stuff like ratchet, returnal, and now this aren’t games that are garunteed to sell 4+ mllion copies so they can’t put 100m dollar marketing behind them.

Selling them for 70 dollars is also pretty dumb. I hope sony learned from R&C and Returnals releases since then
wouldn't bet on it.

Reactions: Jim Ryan

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
I don't know what are you talking about. The recent multiplayer GaaS games from Sony Gran Turismo 7 and MLB are the most successful ones of their series, and Helldivers 1 was very successful and well reviewed. Having upgraded to AAAish this sequel will perform better.

It's a (2nd party) AAAish 3rd person coop shooter, doesn't compete against games like Gran Turismo or MLB. If something it would compete against Gears of War or something like that, but it's missing in action.

The factual data says that in recent years Sony had the most successful and effective marketing than they ever did. So they'll analize the potential of this game and will market it accordingly.
And what exactly are you talking about? Comparing GT7 and MLB to the sequel to a 2016 game that only sold a bit over 3 million across multiple platforms.

Like i said I have no faith in Sony to give this game the marketing push it will need. I hope to be wrong but they very rarely do jack for games that aren't their Major Tentpole games.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
wouldn't bet on it.
They thought Rift Apart was gonna sell well on its own because the PS4 game sold like 7 - 8 million. They forgot that it was a $40 game and majority weren't gonna spend $70 on a 10 - 12 hour game. Same thing happened with Crash 4...

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
And what exactly are you talking about? Comparing GT7 and MLB to the sequel to a 2016 game that only sold a bit over 3 million across multiple platforms.
Like i said I have no faith in Sony to give this game the marketing push it will need. I hope to be wrong but they very rarely do jack for games that aren't their Major Tentpole games.

You're the one who said Sony is clueless with their MP/GaaS games, not me. I shown that they are very successful so far (I didn't count Destiny 2 because it was acquired).

You also mentioned that Helldivers 2 will compete against them, not me. I shown they are very different games targeting different player types. So they don't really compete against each other. As of now Sony doesn't have any MP Third Person Shooter, specially one focused on coop.

This is a sequel of a pretty successful small game, but now is making its jump to a more AAA Gears like concept.

Big pubilshers like Sony make market research and know the size and potential sales of each niche, so they spend a proportional marketing on each game. If they know that a smaller project to cover a smaller niche will only sell a few millions doesn't make any sense to spend on it the same marketing budget than in God of War or Fortnite. It would be to waste money.

They thought Rift Apart was gonna sell well on its own because the PS4 game sold like 7 - 8 million. They forgot that it was a $40 game and majority weren't gonna spend $70 on a 10 - 12 hour game. Same thing happened with Crash 4...
As far as I know they never announced the complete sales of any Ratchet game. I also don't remember to see any Ratchet appearing consistently high in sales rankings, which often means less than 4-5M copies sold.

I think Rift Apart and the PS4 game didn't and won't sell 7-8M. I'd bet it's more realistic to expect them to sell a bit more than the half of that in case of them ending being the best selling games in the series.

Last edited:

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
You're the one who said Sony is clueless with their MP/GaaS games, not me. I shown that they are very successful so far (I didn't count Destiny 2 because it was acquired).

You also mentioned that Helldivers 2 will compete against them, not me. I shown they are very different games targeting different player types. So they don't really compete against each other. As of now Sony doesn't have any MP Third Person Shooter, specially one focused on coop.

This is a sequel of a pretty successful small game, but now is making its jump to a more AAA Gears like concept.

Big pubilshers like Sony make market research and know the size and potential sales of each niche, so they spend a proportional marketing on each game. If they know that a smaller project to cover a smaller niche will only sell a few millions doesn't make any sense to spend on it the same marketing budget than in God of War or Fortnite. It would be to waste money.

As far as I know they never announced the complete sales of any Ratchet game. I also don't remember to see any Ratchet appearing consistently high in sales rankings, which often means less than 4-5M copies sold.

I think Rift Apart and the PS4 game didn't and won't sell 7-8M. I'd bet it's more realistic to expect them to sell a bit more than the half of that in case of them ending being the best selling games in the series.

1) How long have Sony been making MP games? You listing GT7 which was never gonna fail and MLB which also cannot fail at this point... Does not mean you proved point. We can go all the way back to PS3 era to back up what I am saying. The few Multiplayer games they made during the PS4 era... Again where are they now?
They're the same ones who wanted to sell Destruction All Stars for $70 at one point as well.

Will they be stupid enough to try and sell this game for $70? If they do it's DOA

So I stand by what I said about them being clueless with their Multiplayer games and with their current shitty marketing, my expectations are on the floor.

The irony of saying Sony doesn't have a MP 3rd person shooter with co-op. When they literally made the best one last generation and still have it. But brings me back to my point about how they shit the bed with their online games... Uncharted 4 Multiplayer exists.

And yes Helldivers will be competing for user mindshare. I hope it will be a success.

I wasn't asking for a God of War marketing budget. It's rhe lack of effective marketing for smaller games that irks me.

Nonsense.... Insomniac said Ratchet PS4 was their best selling game before they even announces Spiderman, so that was over 6 million at the time.

Rift Apart underperformed. We know it did 1.1 million after a month and that's it's.

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
In what reality was uncharted a good or succesful multiplayer game?

Sony has always attempted to chase every popular thing of the era. Shooters, mmos, online games… since the psone. EverQuest, socom, drive club, etc…

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Btw, this has to mean a beta is coming sooner than later.

It’ll be interesting to see what kinda of model they’ll have here anyway. I totally expect a full price release.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
In what reality was uncharted a good or succesful multiplayer game?

Sony has always attempted to chase every popular thing of the era. Shooters, mmos, online games… since the psone. EverQuest, socom, drive club, etc…
In what reality was the Uncharted Multiplayers not great? And Uncharted 2 and especially Uncharted 3 multiplayer were successful, hence it got 2 straight years of post launch support, over 350 MTX on the PS Store and then went Free To Play.

I really have to wonder about some of you guys on this site, stuck in little bubbles.

The point for mentioning the multiplayer was because the person said Playstation doesn't have a 3rd person Shooter with co-op focused Multiplayer. They had one since 2009 and it was he best on the market. There's still nothing like Uncharted Multiplayer on the market. It should have been huge, but again it was botched on PS4.