Helldivers 2 drops to less than 10,000 players for the first time ever on Steam

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
Helldivers-2-Player-Count-July-22-2024-Thumbnail.jpg

Information Source

Helldivers 2 has seen one of the largest falls from grace in some time. The game managed to sell over 12 million copies in the first three months of its release, but now it sees just a fraction of that amount jump on to bring democracy to the galaxy.

This is the case for many games and most have their shares of ups and downs. With a lack of major updates outside of new weapons and Stratagems, there is very little to keep players engaged long term once the endlessly repeated missions grow tiresome.

And now, Helldivers 2 has fallen to its lowest point ever, dropping to less than 10,000 players for the first time since the game launched in February 2024.

Kokoloko

Veteran
Icon Extra
21 Jun 2022
Sold 12million. Doesnt need to care how many steam players are active. When new content comes out, some will come back.
Im sure PS players are still playing it, destiny squad are playing it almost every night

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Muddasar

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
I mean, as long as there is no new content, user numbers are going to keep dropping. Do other games have higher user numbers when there are no content updates?

Reactions: Sircaw

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Content drop is needed, again game has been handled sloppy after launch... That Ex CEO set this in motion... Hopefully they can get back people onboard

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Neversummer

Sircaw

Pro Flounder
Moderating
20 Jun 2022
Just like diablo 4, start of a new season when there is new content, there are going to be millions running around playing, end of season when the content is dry, only the hard-core nuttas will be playing

Hardcore Nutta-----------------------------> @TubzGaming

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
This game was not supposed to be the big MP hit. Arrowhead just has to work on more content and player will return eventually, although never like on release. Competition on GaaS is just brutal.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
it literally says 26k ccu for the last 24 hours, we are just going to make a news story out of everytime it drops below that in off-peak hours?

I really have no idea why these stories are so intersting to you all. Its like you really want to paint games as failures for some weird reason

Wing84

7 Feb 2024
Really curious what the team is working on. I'm sure it's some significant DLC. The huge success of the game probably bought them a shitton of time to work on a expansion.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Content drop is needed, again game has been handled sloppy after launch... That Ex CEO set this in motion... Hopefully they can get back people onboard
Yuh idk why they thought holding off the new enemy faction “illuminates” for so long where going to its 6th month & that enemy faction been in the game fold literally since the 1st month.

I remember people thinking the new enemy faction would release in its 2nd to 3rd month. The same for that warthog style vehicles.

And if you suggest that the devs needs to add level progression or weapon progression such ass prestige, weapon levels/weapon camos such as gold camos that can be obtained by using the weapon & gaining kills similar to XDefiant you’ll get downvoted on the HD2 Reddit.

Not to mention the way they release these gimmick variant weapons. The new warbond added a new assault riffle variant that’s not batter then the base nor better then the meta so that new variant added is meaningless. Variants should solely be cosmetic & they should focus on adding new weapons w new models + adding attachments that allow you to customize & create builds of weapon. Ie I should be able to use attachments to make the breaker shotgun to what is now the incendiary breaker & if I like whatever cosmetic variant I just add it as a cosmetic skins. It would make balancing much streamlined & make future content more exciting as they focus on new actual weapons.

Not to mention the studio itself is kind brained dead the ceo thought treating people nice would result in people caring about them with the whole PSN debacle when in reality they just empowered the people mostly grifters on PC who never cared about the game & where only playing it because the hype. Lesson learn they should’ve kept their heads down.

Aswell why is it taking so long for them to release content. They’ve been mia for so long especially the ex ceo. No communication nothing also stretching out the content like the new enemy faction when they where in the game files since the 1st month has to be the most brains dead decision they made. They should’ve release new enemy faction every 3-4 month following a similar output as Fortnite & other live service competitors. The whole stretching content for 6 month is just dumb & bad

If your level 100+ there’s no reason to play. 0 carrot to chase, 0 endgame, 0 progression

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Really curious what the team is working on. I'm sure it's some significant DLC. The huge success of the game probably bought them a shitton of time to work on a expansion.
They need to get there shit together. They need to follow the 3 month season style content output especially as GTA6 looms over.

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
The entitlement people have lol

“I can’t believe the nerve of this small studio not giving us major content expansions within 4 months after blowing up to ungodly proportions”

“We should already have an entire 3rd enemy factions with their own planets, animations, weaknesses and unique abilities, in a variety of 20 like the others, also don’t forget to give us new weapons and strategems and armor to fight them with!”

You all know Arrowhead is like 1/5th the size of Bungie, right?

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
The entitlement people have lol

“I can’t believe the nerve of this small studio not giving us major content expansions within 4 months after blowing up to ungodly proportions”

“We should already have an entire 3rd enemy factions with their own planets, animations, weaknesses and unique abilities, in a variety of 20 like the others, also don’t forget to give us new weapons and strategems and armor to fight them with!”

The same for PocketPair/Palworld yet they drop more content is actually indie with no backing & somehow releases more meaningful content.

Let’s not make excuses for HD2 falloff when AH/Sony either one hasn’t properly handled HD2 meaningful content output or at the very least a simple roadmap.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Circana/NPD: last week Helldivers 2 was the top 5 game in weekly active users for PC in USA:

Please notice that WAU is players who played in any moment of a week. CCU are players connected at the same time in a specific point of a specific day.

Helldivers 2 is also the best selling game of the year in USA according to Circana.

Even smaller, Arrowhead has 120 people, Bungie was said to be around 1500-1600 people months ago. So over 10 times bigger.

Just like diablo 4
Well, to be fair just like almost any game. Regarding the comparision with Diablo 4, let's say that the team size is a little different. From Mobygames this is the amount of people who worked on them:
  • Diablo 4: 9,225 people (8,750 professional roles, 475 thanks) with 9,319 credits
  • Helldivers 2: 1,235 people (1,220 professional roles, 15 thanks) with 1,432 credits.
The Diablo 4 team was like 7x times bigger than the Helldivers 2 one.

They need to get there shit together. They need to follow the 3 month season style content output especially as GTA6 looms over.
They sold a dozen million copies in a few months, being the fastest selling Sony game ever. I assume way more than they expected to sell on all its lifetime. Best selling game of the year in USA so far. On top of that they got money from addons.

Yes, it would be nicer if they'd be able to put more cool new stuff faster but they already have been adding a good amount of stuff these first months in addition to fix a lot of stuff. But they must be more than happy and performing way ahead of their expectations.

They started with godlike numbers and now at least in Steam CCUs are in a more normal human being numbers. But well, not bad specially if they are performing great in WAU being top 5 for USA.

I mean, as long as there is no new content
The game gets new content every month.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Circana’s engagement charts are garbage Nielsen like tracking of 1,000 users max. All you do is have to compare to steam of Xbox’s more accurate public data to determine its complete bs.

Diablo tracks like shit and has since launch. Overhyped and underperformed and should be paraded around for its failures. Tbh, helldivers also tracking horribly lately

Helldivers has dropped to below 30k for daily avg ccu.

Few games if any ever actually come back from such drastic of a drop off. It’s highly alarming and should not be disregarded. Sea of Thieves and No Mans Sky would be terrible examples as their best numbers are helldivers worst. I see them used as examples often when they’ve never reached succes greater than “mid.”

Palworld’s newest content drop did manage to help the game. It came back from a similar sub 30k ccu position and now currently has twice the playerbase of Helldivers.

If it drops below 20k daily ccu we will seriously have to question if Helldivers will live into the next year. Sub 10k is the point of no return and when it dies.

Current numbers for the game are terrible. No sugar coating it.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Disregarding this and being like “bu, bu 13 million sold” is fine and all but engagement determines whether it even continues in service; the whole point being player retention to monetize those users for future content.

However, I don’t think they fucked up; they weren’t ready for how big it launched. These numbers are okay if not great for smaller games and probably what they were initially hoping for at best before the game took over the gaming world for a month. Is it a smaller game? I sorta say yes but it had the it factor with its live war warfare hooks and launched huge.

The longer this trend continues the more difficult it will be for a comeback. Warbonds and their content rolllout have failed to do the job necessary for player retention.

Depending on game types player retention drop offs aren’t solely content related. It’s a huge part for content driven pve releases but retention can also be a metric of player sentiments as well; whatever that may be.

What kind of content is needed tho? Helldivers is unlike other games. I think future content needs to be available for all users due to the nature of the live warfare gimmick. You kinda can’t gate out any users because you’re gonna need them all just to make the game’s warfare concept work as it should it seems. All players will have to move forward with the war.

This will require a good deal of creativity and innovation I’d think. They don’t have too many similar games like it to pull ideas from… like maybe the BRs and extraction games … things is those are PvP so good luck.

And finally, not all service games need daily logins. They can build these games to cater to seasonal or just yearly players. Ideally you’re providing for all those from hardcore daily players to the casual player who will check out what’s new every year and bounce after 3 days. If something is stupid expensive to operate post launch tho… they’re gonna want strong daily engagement and revenues to come in weekly.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
already made a bank. everything else is just a cherry on top of the cake.
they don't have new content, less people playing news at 11. they are too small to make content often.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Disregarding this and being like “bu, bu 13 million sold” is fine and all but engagement determines whether it even continues in service; the whole point being player retention to monetize those users for future content.

However, I don’t think they fucked up; they weren’t ready for how big it launched. These numbers are okay if not great for smaller games and probably what they were initially hoping for at best before the game took over the gaming world for a month. Is it a smaller game? I sorta say yes but it had the it factor with its live war warfare hooks and launched huge.

The longer this trend continues the more difficult it will be for a comeback. Warbonds and their content rolllout have failed to do the job necessary for player retention.

Depending on game types player retention drop offs aren’t solely content related. It’s a huge part for content driven pve releases but retention can also be a metric of player sentiments as well; whatever that may be.

What kind of content is needed tho? Helldivers is unlike other games. I think future content needs to be available for all users due to the nature of the live warfare gimmick. You kinda can’t gate out any users because you’re gonna need them all just to make the game’s warfare concept work as it should it seems. All players will have to move forward with the war.

This will require a good deal of creativity and innovation I’d think. They don’t have too many similar games like it to pull ideas from… like maybe the BRs and extraction games … things is those are PvP so good luck.

And finally, not all service games need daily logins. They can build these games to cater to seasonal or just yearly players. Ideally you’re providing for all those from hardcore daily players to the casual player who will check out what’s new every year and bounce after 3 days. If something is stupid expensive to operate post launch tho… they’re gonna want strong daily engagement and revenues to come in weekly.
Nah AH & Sony both fucked up & I lean with AH fucking up more with not wanting to over hire to not have dev layoffs at AH per the ex CEO.

Pocketpair (Palworld) is in the same position & they’ve seemingly have balance releasing major content update w meaningful content unlike AH.

Not really sure what’s been going on w AH they been quite ever since the ex CEO switched roles.