Helldivers II Was Built on an Archaic Engine That You Can't Access Anymore

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022

https://80.lv/articles/helldivers-ii-was-built-on-an-archaic-engine- that-you-can-t-access-anymore/

Brought to our attention by Lead Game Developer Andy Touch, it turns out that the second installment in the Helldivers series is powered by the same engine as the original 2015 game, with that being Bitsquid, known in its later years as Autodesk Stingray.

Built with support for the most popular PC, console, and mobile platforms in mind, Bitsquid was utilized in the creation of various games, including Escape Dead Island, Hamilton's Great Adventure, Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, and, as mentioned above, the original Helldivers. Following its acquisition by Maya and 3ds Max developer Autodesk in 2014, the engine was integrated into the company's game development toolkit and renamed Autodesk Stingray.

While on the surface, it seems like a good idea to leverage the same software for both the original game and its sequel, the thing you need to know about Autodesk Stingray is that it has been discontinued since 2018. Consequently, it has not received any updates in the past six years and has been officially declared dead by its developers.

As Andy noted, there's a strong possibility that Helldivers II entered production before the discontinuation of the engine, which likely prompted Arrowhead to take matters into their own hands and enhance the software themselves, molding it into the tool they needed instead of abandoning their progress.

This situation underscores the fact that even discontinued software can be utilized to create something extraordinary. And create something extraordinary Arrowhead did. In less than two weeks, Helldivers 2 astounded hundreds of thousands of players, swiftly becoming this year's second gaming sensation and joining Palworld in the list of top contenders for Game of the Year 2024.

The game's concurrent user count continues to soar, breaking records daily and currently standing at an impressive 456,000 players. It now holds the 20th position on the SteamDB chart of most concurrently played titles, surpassing heavyweights like GTA V and Among Us.

The game's success has been so immense that its developers openly and honestly advise purchasing Helldivers 2 at a different time, as it is currently plagued with server issues due to the overwhelming number of players it has to accommodate all at once.

• Informative
Reactions: Bo_Hazem

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Also the engine they used is a custom version of a very old discontinued game engine, which likely has networking code as old as the first helldiver's game.

I wrote about this in the connections thread but the multiplayer scaling problem is most likely tied to this engine being so old. I can't recall a game in recent memory that a hard cap on number of players online.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
I wrote about this in the connections thread but the multiplayer scaling problem is most likely tied to this engine being so old. I can't recall a game in recent memory that a hard cap on number of players online.
My thoughts exactly about the online issues.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Explains a lot but shame Sony didn't step in an at least give them Decima and have some Guerrilla wizards help them with the transition.

But hindsight is 20/20

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
This is a team that deserves a massive investment because they clearly have something most studios lack, vision and great sense of game design.

They get the small details right and that makes the game immersive and cool.

The opposite would be a game like starfield where everything feels disjointed, stupid and full of bad design decisions.

They clearly failed miserably on the server side of things but they are doing great handling the PR.

Kx11

Banned
7 Jan 2024
Katar
flickr.com
Epic Games got a strong relationship with Sony so if they ever need an engine Tim is ready :ninja: :ninja:

52682379115_260a34cc8b_z.jpg

nongkris

Veteran
14 Feb 2023
Are they stuck with this engine forever or they can change it later 🤔
For an online game like this where the code and servers are heavily dependent on each other, they are with this engine until a sequel comes out. A lot of things would have to be rebuilt from scratch in another engine.

• sad
Reactions: Gods&Monsters
20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
Overall I'm impressed with the solid performance of the game, so I think they didn't go out of their way to go with this dying engine in vain. Imagine how it would perform if it was UE5.

Reactions: Gamernyc78
OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Overall I'm impressed with the solid performance of the game, so I think they didn't go out of their way to go with this dying engine in vain. Imagine how it would perform if it was UE5.
Dropping to 20s all the time! During hectic moments

• they're_right_you_know

Wraith Phantom

22 Jun 2022
Hey man its hard work out therr. Being indie. Nobody will help you unyil you help yourself.

Apart fro. Kojima every studio has to busttherr ass off for the big Sony bag.

This is part the process.

But got damn. This would be crazy in decima. Crazy.

Decima just. Gonna have to be given out.