Herman hulst Thanks for having me @SonySantaMonicaTotally inspired by everything I saw today.

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
showme-show.gif

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
Definitely the Phil Spencer of Playstation. Haven't seen one things he's done that has made people have so much faith in him. He hasn't inspired me with confidence.

AshHunter216

Banned
8 Jan 2023
Definitely the Phil Spencer of Playstation. Haven't seen one things he's done that has made people have so much faith in him. He hasn't inspired me with confidence.
In terms of the actual job description, Jim Ryan is Playstation's Phil Spencer.

Danja1187

Veteran
10 Mar 2023
We haven't had enough shows to know what PS first party is doing. lol And the only cancelations are Pixelopus and a studio that Sony doesn't even own.
Okay! Guess we'll finally see what Hermen Spencer has in store for Phase 2 this summer.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
I'd love to see in what are they working on.

The equivalent of Phil Spencer at Sony is Jimbo, the CEO of their game division. Hermen is the head of the PS Studios.

So he oversaw the development and release of games like Dreams, GoT, TLOU2, Demon's Souls, Morales, Astrobot, Ratchet, Returnal, GT7, HFW, GoWR and many more. He obviously also had a role in the decisions as the acquisitions of Bluepoint, Firesprite (which basically means resurrecting Livepool and Evolution), Housemarque, Nixxes, Bungie, Haven, Firewalk, etc. and growing all these and their other existing teams. He got this job position the same year Sony decided to acquire Insomniac, not sure if he already was there, but maybe was deciding before he got this current job.

He's doing a great job. They released plenty of great games according to reviews and awards, and the big ones are selling better than ever. And is growing their teams plus acquiring new ones. He also made sure that the PC ports and mobile games (related strategies decided before him) are made by new teams, not affecting the already existing ones to keep them focused on console. Around of half of the new projects he greenlighted are new IPs, and around a quarter or a third are MP/GaaS (which represent a the majority of the most successful AAA games but Sony almost didn't have presence there) in collaboration with many of the most successful people in the world in this area.

Spencer does the talking, Hermen does the real job to deliver a good quantity of quality stuff.

We haven't had enough shows to know what PS first party is doing. lol And the only cancelations are Pixelopus and a studio that Sony doesn't even own.
Sony made several shows every year where they promoted the main 1st, 2nd and 3rd party games they have been releasing, plus PSVR2 and the new PS+.

Now almost all these games have been released once FFXVI and SF6 are out. So obviously in their next shows they'll focus on showing the many games that they already announced but still didn't properly show (Spider-Man 2, Wolverine, TLOU Online, Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Death Stranding 2, Lost Soul Aside, Sony London new IP...) plus the next that are likely to be announced (Helldivers 2, Firewalk new IP, Bungine new IP...).

But notice I said shows in plural, they won't shoot all their hype bullets now in their next event: they'll save some for later, to have exciting stuff to show in the different events they'll have every year.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Tomorrow: We constantly evaluate our internal studios and make adjustments based on projects meeting benchmarks. We have made the difficult decision to close Santa Monica Studio and cancel all their projects.

Instead they will buy 2 more PC porting studios and a third rate studio to replace Guerrilla Cambridge and make even more Horizon spin-off games.

jk, I hope.