Hi-Fi Rush reaches 2 million players

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
This is my only comment on this topic and I just want to add a few things:

Hi-Fi Rush is a good game, though slightly overrated
Stray is a good game scored appropriately

Now that I got that out, here's some information. Below are the numbers from steamdb on both games:

Hi-Fi Rush
dMe44QV.png

Stray
dRGuk3l.png

Even if we ignore the sales figures on the right-hand side of each, which is perfectly acceptable since they are estimates, in terms of commercial success Stray absolutely destroys Hi-Fi Rush. It's a no-contest knockout with a fatality.

It's perfectly fine to say Hi-Fi Rush was a great game that did not pull the expected numbers. Yes, 2M is a lot, but when the likelyhood is that most of those 2M didn't actually pay for the game, and the attach rate on a subscription is < 10%... There are zero arguments for this game being a commercial success.

I'd love for Xbox apologists to wake up and try to understand why this happens and its implications in future XGS games.

Anyway, I'm out of this topic.

Game, Set and Match.

Great post.

Lord Mittens

Community Cat
1 Jul 2022

Now that I got that out, here's some information. Below are the numbers from steamdb on both games:

Hi-Fi Rush
dMe44QV.png

Stray
dRGuk3l.png

Even if we ignore the sales figures on the right-hand side of each, which is perfectly acceptable since they are estimates, in terms of commercial success Stray absolutely destroys Hi-Fi Rush. It's a no-contest knockout with a fatality.

It's perfectly fine to say Hi-Fi Rush was a great game that did not pull the expected numbers. Yes, 2M is a lot, but when the likelyhood is that most of those 2M didn't actually pay for the game, and the attach rate on a subscription is < 10%... There are zero arguments for this game being a commercial success.

I'd love for Xbox apologists to wake up and try to understand why this happens and its implications in future XGS games.

What can I say? Cats rule!

cats falling off GIF

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

Hi-Fi Rush
dMe44QV.png

Stray
dRGuk3l.png

How dare you use facts and logic??????
Shocked Pop Tv GIF by Nightcap

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
It Takes Two was a small seller and only got most of its sales after it won the GoTY award at The Game Awards.
That fuck you mean

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230302_123537_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230302_123537_Chrome.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 10

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Edit - I came back to add some information to a bit of misinformation by our friend @adamsapple as per usual
That alone proves it was not a small seller, especially since TGA only occurred in December. Looking beyond these numbers:
Now if we math the shit out of this, we can figure out that:
  • For the first 7 months it sold on average 428k copies / month
  • For the following 4 months it sold on average 500k copies / month
  • And then for the 12 months following that it sold 417k copies / month
So, while TGA certainly gave helped it gain some legs, the average purchases per month have barely changed between milestones.

Now, funny enough, when looking at steamdb numbers, it's actually not too dissimilar from Stray, except Stray has not that much engagement nowadays:

4fbtzOG.png

What do I mean by this? It's not unreasonable to deduct that their sales on PC were similar enough, and if It Takes Two sold a couple million units (not an unreasonable assumption), that Stray could have sold a similar number.

Just going to post this additional post I added to my original one since I missed the "It Takes Two" bullshit comment.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
That fuck you mean

Dates, how do they work.

No one knows!

So, while TGA certainly gave helped it gain some legs, the average purchases per month have barely changed between milestones.

How many smaller indie scale games, that aren't named "Minecraft", do you see which sell the same average units per month in year 2 and 3 as the first 6 month ?

The TGA and post-win popularity maintaining the sales of the game through the next 12~18 calendar years is extremely obvious and visible for all to see.

Whether you choose to or not, is entirely up to you.

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
Dates, how do they work.

No one knows!
It release in march of 2021. Yes that's how dates work. Majority of the sales of every game is frontloaded.

Hi fi rush is "free" on a subscription with over 20mil subscribers.

don't put these games in the same category

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: KiryuRealty

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
It release in march of 2021. Yes that's how dates work. Majority of the sales of every game is frontloaded.

The narrative is breaking, read @Dodkrake 's post where he shows the game maintaining the same sales per month average post-win in years 2 and 3.

That directly contradicts what you're saying about the games sales being front-loaded.

Come back when you've recognized the break in the narrative.

(y)

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
The narrative is breaking, read @Dodkrake 's post where he shows the game maintaining the same sales per month average post-win in years 2 and 3.

That directly contradicts what you're saying about the games sales being front-loaded.

Come back when you've recognized the break in the narrative.

(y)
Lol what kinda average we talking about? 10k, 20k copies?

Do you think the average for the rest of its lifetime is the same as launch period. Come on dude why are trying to be clever when you know it doesn't make any sense?

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

Do you think the average for the rest of its lifetime is the same as launch period. Come on dude why are trying to be clever when you know it doesn't make any sense?

Copy pasting @Dodkrake 's breakdown since you're too lazy to scroll up and read his post.

• For the first 7 months it sold on average 428k copies / month
  • For the following 4 months it sold on average 500k copies / month
  • And then for the 12 months following that it sold 417k copies / month

How many indie games, or even AAA games in general, sell the same in year 2 as they did in first 3 months ?

CoD, Minecraft and maybe one or two more, you can count them on a single hand.

If you can't see how the win directly correlated in the game having a continued strong average monthly cycle, then I don't know what else to tell you, you're missing the blindingly obvious.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
How many smaller indie scale games, that aren't named "Minecraft", do you see which sell the same average units per month in year 2 and 3 as the first 6 month ?

Mate, stop moving the goalpost, please. You said this:

It Takes Two was a small seller and only got most of its sales after it won the GoTY award at The Game Awards.

For all we know, the game sold over 3M copies before TGA. Is that a small seller? For comparison sake, Forza Horizon 3 (the last game before welfare pass) sold 2.5M copies in 5 months. That's a AAA game from a recognizable franchise.

Don't be ridiculous.

KiryuRealty

Cambridge Dictionary High Priest of Grammar
28 Nov 2022
Where it’s at.

Those who try to be clever while lacking the tools for it usually make total asses of themselves.

Doncortez77

Veteran
8 Jan 2023
2 million players for this Game of the year contender that every Xbox fan was putting on a pedestal the moment is was announced.

Now the question is if gamepass has been stagnant at 25 million (no telling if this is consistent or $1 monthly toe dippers)....

Are we really considering 2 million players downloading the game and hitting start a real accomplishment?

What's the completion rate for this relatively short game that all these fans was bragging that this came should be in the GOTY discussions?

SLB1904

Actually born in 1904!
22 Jun 2022
2 million players for this Game of the year contender that every Xbox fan was putting on a pedestal the moment is was announced.

Now the question is if gamepass has been stagnant at 25 million (no telling if this is consistent or $1 monthly toe dippers)....

Are we really considering 2 million players downloading the game and hitting start a real accomplishment?

What's the completion rate for this relatively short game that all these fans was bragging that this came should be in the GOTY discussions?
2mil in total. So even less on gamepass

TubzGaming

Admin | Mod
Moderating
21 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
PSN ID
Tubz_Gaming
View attachment 716
So According to True Achievements (I dont know the percentage of accuracy for this site) less than 26,000 beat this game on any of the game difficulty modes?
Screenshot 2023-03-02 171755.jpg

102,204 Total Tracked players - 114 Tracked 100% the game

Screenshot 2023-03-02 172106.jpg

2,902 Tracked players beat the game on easy

Quick edit note: So the total 26% of tracked players beat the game on any difficulty BUT each Difficulty achievement you have to beat it multiple times so there might be a small amount of cross pollination of tracked players.

Screenshot 2023-03-02 173808.jpg

Last edited: