High on Life DLC makes fun of God of War Ragnarok's puzzles

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
We recently had the release of High on Knife, the DLC for the comic shooter High on Life. Just like the base game, this expansion made fun of several other media products, and one of the targets was Santa Monica's recent God of War Ragnarok.

When God of War Ragnarok launched, many players stated that companions ended up giving away a lot of the puzzle resolutions and High on Life decided to make fun of this. In one of High on Knife's scenes, the suit's AI quickly delivers the solution to the puzzle, referring to itself as a "little God of War-style hint" and even referring to itself as Atreus.

Hey! This is Suit-O. I'll go ahead and give a little tip in the style of God of War, which already gives away the entire puzzle. Go ahead and throw those parasites at Toxxo and it will give you life to heal, and you can stay in the tub longer. What did you think of that? Atreus leaving. I am just kidding. Haha ha!

In the past, David Jaffe himself, creator of the God of War franchise, had criticized Ragnarok's puzzles. According to Jaffe, "they went too far", insisting on always telling the player what to do.

• haha
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
That feature in Sony games (I know Horizon also does it, unsure what else) is a net negative for the game. If they want to add it for casual players can they at least add an option to toggle it off? Exploring a level in Horizon looking for items and Aloy is muttering the solution to me simply because I'm in the general puzzle zone but haven't progressed. It's terrible. The new Jedi games do it better with a button you can press to get a hint, better than listening to the character monologue answers.

Reactions: arvfab and JAHGamer

FatKaz

Veteran
16 Jul 2022
I hated that in god of war.

I remember trying to rush puzzles before atreus or mimir could ruin it.

Reactions: JAHGamer

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
Ragnarok is one of the worst offenders but It applies to several games. I remember Lara Croft's inner monologues they used as hints on the new Tomb Raider games.

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
That feature in Sony games (I know Horizon also does it, unsure what else) is a net negative for the game. If they want to add it for casual players can they at least add an option to toggle it off? Exploring a level in Horizon looking for items and Aloy is muttering the solution to me simply because I'm in the general puzzle zone but haven't progressed. It's terrible. The new Jedi games do it better with a button you can press to get a hint, better than listening to the character monologue answers.
I hated that in god of war.

I remember trying to rush puzzles before atreus or mimir could ruin it.
Facts, Sony needs to cut it out with this nonsense. High on Life is trash but I'm glad other industry people are calling them out.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Entropi

Entropi

Veteran
Icon Extra
22 Jan 2023
And they couldn’t make it subtle? A Missed opportunity there.

AllBizness

Veteran
22 Jul 2023
It doesn't bother me, I'm a c student and don't mind a hint every now and then. To each their own.

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Well deserved!

There should be an option to shup up the NPCs when they follow us, not everyone is as entertaining as Sully!

Reactions: Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Well deserved!

There should be an option to shup up the NPCs when they follow us, not everyone is as entertaining as Sully!

Sully is actually well written, and he doesn't overstay his welcome as well.