Hogwarts Legacy: Technical Thread.

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022

This youtuber is a bit pro XBOX, however, his loadtime comparisons are pretty good.

PS5 has better loadtimes, better framerates and Series X seems to be mired by screentearing and some artfacting when it loses vsync.

• brain
Reactions: EDMIX and Bryank75
OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
Very good, I don't mind someone having a preference as long as they can be honest when it comes to the facts.
Happy with the PS5 performance here, hopefully they patch the Xbox and make it a better experience.
Agreed, it's all we ever ask....Yeah, he is basically crying in the video, this was better optimized on PS5, it has marketing on PS5.....As if that's the first time a game performs better on PS5, rofl....

Yet, once you don't misrepresent the facts and keep the criteria for these comparisons transparent and honest, we are gold.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
Agreed, it's all we ever ask....Yeah, he is basically crying in the video, this was better optimized on PS5, it has marketing on PS5.....As if that's the first time a game performs better on PS5, rofl....

Yet, once you don't misrepresent the facts and keep the criteria for these comparisons transparent and honest, we are gold.
and who is at fault here? Cerny said in March presentation, we are listening developers, we building PS5 for developers, up and running games were never this easy and short. this is a fruit of that lovecraftmanship.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
I'll wait for the DF analysis 🥳.
Year2080-Still-waiting.jpg

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
One thing people never talk about is how colours look better on the PS5. I don't know how they would look side by side, but captured footage always looks better colourwise there.

As for the performance, both consoles have traded blows, but I reckon as the generation moves forward we will see the PlayStation edge the Xbox more more. The reasons are two fold.

First, it seems like next gen engines are favouring higher frequencies over grunt. I think the SX will edge on resolution, but simply because developers are unable to get more frames when lowering resolution, so they maximise what they can. Framerate is usually a bottleneck for the Series console.

Second, the PS5 is the target platform, the one that will generate more cash, therefore they will probably spend more time developing for it. It's only natural.

Microsoft have only themselves to blame for both, especially the first, since they pushed the 12TF angle so hard and are now left with a console that not only doesn't overperform substantially, when it does, but in a lot of cases it underperforms

As for the guy in the video, this has fuck all to do with a relationship but rather the hardware and software.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022
The video in the OP is half baked, he says performance can't go above 60 FPS in 120hz mode, which is objectively wrong. You can uncap FPS in all modes and HFR mode can go to 80~ or thereabout.

This is a better video until DF, NXG or VGTech comes out. Both versions have ups and downs over each other in different areas.

- Shorter loading times on PS5.
- Shadows in Quality (Fidelity) mode have a higher resolution on PS5 compared to Xbox Series X.
- PS5 shows better performance in Ray-Tracing mode, but Xbox Series X framerate is higher in all other modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMIX
OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
One thing people never talk about is how colours look better on the PS5. I don't know how they would look side by side, but captured footage always looks better colourwise there.
It is something, I've seen and commented on multiple times. Colors definitely pop a bit more on PS5, I was thinking it was capture equipment and video settings, but it is something I've noticed on multiple tech comparisons, including Open Surprise, DF, NxGamer, Vgtech and El Analista....

The video in the OP is half baked, he says performance can't go above 60 FPS in 120hz mode, which is objectively wrong. You can uncap FPS in all modes and HFR mode can go to 80~ or thereabout.

This is a better video until DF, NXG or VGTech comes out. Both versions have ups and downs over each other in different areas.

People are so selective with Analista, when it suits them his stuff is great, when it doesn't suit them his conclusions and framerate are faulty. I think all these techtubers have something to offer, I watch them all. John Hogwarts Linneman for example have already berated Open Surprise for spotty frame analysis, since O_S is using open source software for his frame analysis. The same John Linneman also criticized NX Gamer heavily early on, NX even took a break because of all the criticism. Dark1x has also criticized Analista, King Thrash and even attempted to do so with Vgtech at some point, but when I started posting Vgtech's stat sheets and superior pixel counting they knew what time it was, because theirs was always wrong......

No tech channel is perfect, that thing I see where people want to ban some channels or what not is assinine. On Gaf for example they don't want you to post Analista, hell some mod had an issue with my KingThrash videos after a while, but John and compadres were making mistakes after mistakes and several puff pieces and still people say "I will wait for DF".....Wait for what, DF's bias conclusions?

In my opinion, I'll rate the accuracy of these channels like this.

Vgtech>NxGamer>Digital Foundry>El Analista>Open Surprise...

Still, I will give El Analista some extra credit over DF for one thing or even over all of them. This guy covers all games, no politics. With Analista you will have a look at a game's technical chops on release, no bs, no lamentations about how hard comparisons really are.. Props to him for this, he is a hard worker...

Last edited:
  • thisistheway
Reactions: PropellerEar

Swift_Star

Veteran
2 Jul 2022

good to know uncapping is a thing. I'd love if the game had a 40fps mode with everything cranked up to the max though, it's been my favorite way of playing game.
It's not sluggish and it doesn't need to sacrifice too much in the visual candy. The perfect sweet spot.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
good to know uncapping is a thing. I'd love if the game had a 40fps mode with everything cranked up to the max though, it's been my favorite way of playing game.
It's not sluggish and it doesn't need to sacrifice too much in the visual candy. The perfect sweet spot.
I was playing Fidelity 30fps unlocked. Very few times it was lower framerate. Most of the time it feels like 40-50 fps. Looks great.

Satoru

Limitless
Founder
20 Jun 2022
People are so selective with Analista, when it suits them his stuff is great, when it doesn't suit them his conclusions and framerate are faulty. I think all these techtubers have something to offer, I watch them all. John Hogwarts Linneman for example have already berated Open Surprise for spotty frame analysis, since O_S is using open source software for his frame analysis. The same John Linneman also criticized NX Gamer heavily early on, NX even took a break because of all the criticism. Dark1x has also criticized Analista, King Thrash and even attempted to do so with Vgtech at some point, but when I started posting Vgtech's stat sheets and superior pixel counting they knew what time it was, because theirs was always wrong......

No tech channel is perfect, that thing I see where people want to ban some channels or what not is assinine. On Gaf for example they don't want you to post Analista, hell some mod had an issue with my KingThrash videos after a while, but John and compadres were making mistakes after mistakes and several puff pieces and still people say "I will wait for DF".....Wait for what, DF's bias conclusions?

In my opinion, I'll rate the accuracy of these channels like this.

Vgtech>NxGamer>Digital Foundry>El Analista>Open Surprise...

Still, I will give some extra credit over DF for one thing or even over all of them. This guy covers all games, no politics. With Analista you will have a look at a game's technical chops on release, no bs, no lamentations about how hard comparisons really are.. Props to him for this, he is a hard worker...

Funny, of all the ones you listed the ones I trust less are Digital Foundry. Their agenda is so transparent it's not even funny.

adamsapple

Banned
22 Jul 2022

This game has a very good "Balanced" mode which has a high resolution like Fidelity (minus the RT) and a so far very solid 40 FPS lock. You can uncap it if you have a 120hz TV which supportts ALLM. If your TV/monitor does not support ALLM do not uncap FPS, cause the PS5's VRR range starts at 48hz.

The performance and HFR modes are very nice and smooth but the IQ takes a big hit.

Reactions: Swift_Star

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
I only played the PS5 version and it seemed fine too me. Two of my friends have it on PC on their 3090s. I heard the PC had a lot of bugs that needed fixing.

Aa for Raytracing, I'll be honest I do not believe that this generation of consoles is really cutting for Raytracing. I tried it on PS5 and the framerate is just too low for me for RTX. But come PS6 and Next Xbox I think RTX will be much much better and a standard at 4K60. The game looked beautiful in RTX but it's not worth the frames loss imo.

Reactions: rofif
OP
OP
thelastword

thelastword

Veteran
4 Jul 2022
I only played the PS5 version and it seemed fine too me. Two of my friends have it on PC on their 3090s. I heard the PC had a lot of bugs that needed fixing.

Aa for Raytracing, I'll be honest I do not believe that this generation of consoles is really cutting for Raytracing. I tried it on PS5 and the framerate is just too low for me for RTX. But come PS6 and Next Xbox I think RTX will be much much better and a standard at 4K60. The game looked beautiful in RTX but it's not worth the frames loss imo.
I think raytracing even now is not the most realistic. I mean mirrors everywhere for reflections, is that a real representation of buildings or floors you walk in on a day to day.....I think the technology is important but it still needs lots of manual optimization from devs so it could look best. Every area should not be fitted with high rez RT shadows or reflections because that's not the case in the real world and as you said the hardware is not there, even on PC, seeing how framerate tanks so drastically. Had it not been for DLSS, FSR and XESS these games would not be playable on $1500-2000 GPU's....

RT is still in it's infancy imo, in it's current state it's mostly being done in a bruteforced manner, eventually it will evolve........

Elder Legend

CEO of Gaming Instincts (Industry Veteran)
10 Jan 2023
I think raytracing even now is not the most realistic. I mean mirrors everywhere for reflections, is that a real representation of buildings or floors you walk in on a day to day.....I think the technology is important but it still needs lots of manual optimization from devs so it could look best. Every area should not be fitted with high rez RT shadows or reflections because that's not the case in the real world and as you said the hardware is not there, even on PC, seeing how framerate tanks so drastically. Had it not been for DLSS, FSR and XESS these games would not be playable on $1500-2000 GPU's....

RT is still in it's infancy imo, in it's current state it's mostly being done in a bruteforced manner, eventually it will evolve........
I'll have to agree with your assesment here.

Reactions: rofif

rofif

...owns a 3080...why?
24 Jun 2022
Playing on fidelity on ps5 since balance is a bit blurry. It’s not bad for 30fps but balance is much smoother. I might switch back.
Hdr is amazing too.
No issues, no stutters. Game is amazing. It’s Elden ring of this year.