Homebrew 60FPS patches on PS5

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
Again, the homebrew/hackers Community does the developer's job for them. For those saying that frame rate caps are hard to remove from PS4 games (allowing them to run at at least 60 fps)... well, no, just no, these settings are in some file/menu in their respective games and this can be done easily by someone who simply knows. No need to even repackage the game or actually modify the installed one.

Drive Club 4k 60

List of games with homebrew performance patches for the PS5 (many have tweaks for their PS4 versions as well)

Thanks to the following for making this possible:
illusion: https://github.com/illusion0001
Atrelsky: https://github.com/astrelsky/libhijacker

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Both Bloodborne and Driveclub look great at 60fps.

Sony really should devote a bit of resources into this. I mean it can clearly be achieved. I wonder if there are just some weird unknown internal issues around these games (legal I mean) that make this not easily done. But since they are Sony published I can't imagine what those might be.

OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022

Sony really should devote a bit of resources into this. I mean it can clearly be achieved. I wonder if there are just some weird unknown internal issues around these games (legal I mean) that make this not easily done. But since they are Sony published I can't imagine what those might be.
I don't know about the legal side of things, but the way the games get "patched" in this case I think that the PS5 OS could offer these patches on games without modifying the original executable.

I think this is a question of will, they're not that interested in offering enhancements to old games, even it was to make a game like Bloodborne playable to people like me (I could not stand the frame pacing issues, I just dropped out within an hour).

So yes, a dev with a similar approach could have created that kind of boost to a good number of PS4 games for PS5 owners by now. I only had a quick look at the patches on offer and found that there are even some that offer enhanced shaders (lighting, etc.).

Thief1987

23 Feb 2023
Driveclub plays perfectly fine at 30 fps. What it really needs is a resolution boost and a pass of TAA.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Sony really should devote a bit of resources into this.
Yes, in some cases may be easy and don't require bugfixes. The problem would be that if these patches create some issue that may be fixed then to access old game source code, with outdated SDKs and libraries they can't no longer use, etc. may be an issue in some cases.

But definetively they could put a few guys to take a look at the Sony PS4 games that still didn't get the patch or a PS5 sku.

Games like The Order at 4K 60fps would look great, too.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
Yes, in some cases may be easy and don't require bugfixes. The problem would be that if these patches create some issue that may be fixed then to access old game source code, with outdated SDKs and libraries they can't no longer use, etc. may be an issue in some cases.

But definetively they could put a few guys to take a look at the Sony PS4 games that still didn't get the patch or a PS5 sku.

Games like The Order at 4K 60fps would look great, too.
The bolded section above is right on the money. There is always more to software than meets the eye in many cases. There could be a really good reason they haven't done something like this already.

Then again there may not be. We just don't know. Which is what makes seeing these kinds of things even more frustrating, because it just ends up as speculation and in the end we don't have official 60fps version of these classic PS games.

JAHGamer

Veteran
8 May 2023

Driveclub kinda failed so they gave up on it, and Bloodborne is being remade or remastered and they're gonna charge a full $70 for PS5/PC.... That's why we've yet to see it happen....

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
The bolded section above is right on the money. There is always more to software than meets the eye in many cases. There could be a really good reason they haven't done something like this already.

Then again there may not be. We just don't know. Which is what makes seeing these kinds of things even more frustrating, because it just ends up as speculation and in the end we don't have official 60fps version of these classic PS games.
Yep. They already patched several games, made some of them crossgen or released some remasters etc. I assume Sony may think that to patch some games wouldn't be worth it in terms of profitability (that includes QA/certification, metadada in the stores, there may be also legal stuff for licenses of songs, fonts etc not only to make the patch.

But there are some cases where PC ports have potential to sell some million copies, so maybe they can do the PS5 patch + PC port toguether to turn profitable the next gen patch.

There's also cases of old dead IPs getting refurbished for TV shows or cinema movies. In that case, they better have updated versions to make them look as good as possible (maybe stuff like Gravity Rush, TLG or Twisted Metal if they don't release new games of these IPs).

• brain
Reactions: Dr Bass
OP
OP
Alabtrosmyster

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
It could be like the PS4 PRO "performance mode" that unlocked some of the new console's performance in games that did not offer a "pro" mode. You use it at your own risk, usually the risk is much smaller than some people make it to be.

Frame rate limiters are often a setting, this method allows the games to be patched at run time, without having to touch the package that is being distributed... so no need for old SDKs, a resigned binary and all that.
I'm not gonna say this is impossible, but I doubt this is the reason. Reason being the potential for paid updates/patches.

Dr Bass

The doctor is in
Founder
20 Jun 2022
It could be like the PS4 PRO "performance mode" that unlocked some of the new console's performance in games that did not offer a "pro" mode. You use it at your own risk, usually the risk is much smaller than some people make it to be.

Frame rate limiters are often a setting, this method allows the games to be patched at run time, without having to touch the package that is being distributed... so no need for old SDKs, a resigned binary and all that.

I'm not gonna say this is impossible, but I doubt this is the reason. Reason being the potential for paid updates/patches.
I think you are likely right, for sure. My only point is I am not sure enough to bet my life on it or anything. But yeah, I think you are right.