Honestly Is it Time to Abolish User Reviews? what do people think review bombing accomplish?

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Traditionally, professional reviewers held a position of authority. However, concerns regarding conflicts of interest and subjective biases, reminiscent of the recent PSN login controversy with Helldivers 2, raise questions about their absolute objectivity.

On the other hand, user reviews can be a volatile mix of personal experience and emotional response. A single frustrating gameplay session might lead to a scathing review that doesn't reflect the overall quality of the game. The phenomenon of review bombing, exemplified by the recent incident with Helldivers 2, perfectly illustrates this point. It's a loud statement, but not necessarily a nuanced critique.

Proponents of user reviews often hail them as the voice of the people. However, the Helldivers 2 debacle exposed a critical flaw: the mob mentality. Disgruntled players, frustrated by the login requirement, flooded the game with negative reviews, burying any semblance of balanced critique. This "review bomb" drowned out valuable insights and created a distorted perception of the game's quality.

Imagine relying solely on these reviews to decide a game's worth. You'd be left with the impression that Helldivers 2 is a broken mess, when the core gameplay might be excellent. User reviews, in such scenarios, become a misinformation minefield, hindering informed decision-making.

The Helldivers 2 situation serves as a stark reminder: user reviews can be a volatile mix of emotion and opinion, often eclipsing valuable insights.

• thinking_hard
Reactions: anonpuffs

Systemshock2023

Veteran
8 May 2023
As I said in another thread, this doesn't seem to piss people off when low quality reviews are positive such as:

"Game is good, now release Bloodborne"
"You keep putting your games on PC I keep buying until Bloodborne and Demons Souls are released"
"BOY!!!"

If I go through user reviews and specially on PC I want to know about technical details and then if the game is good or not. Meme like reviews do not add value. I think that maybe an AI that scans reviews and deletes the reviews that have certain words, or add a character limit to reviews. Leave the thumbs up or down but delete the review.

Reactions: Yuniac
OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
As I said in another thread, this doesn't seem to piss people off when low quality reviews are positive such as:

"Game is good, now release Bloodborne"
"You keep putting your games on PC I keep buying until Bloodborne and Demons Souls are released"
"BOY!!!"

If I go through user reviews and specially on PC I want to know about technical details and then if the game is good or not. Meme like reviews do not add value. I think that maybe an AI that scans reviews and deletes the reviews that have certain words, or add a character limit to reviews. Leave the thumbs up or down but delete the review.

i agree 100%, just look at the meme review for Cory In the House, none of the people actually played the game.

BLAZE

20 Feb 2024
Obviously not, don't let the Helldivers case change the fact that user reviews, for the most part, are beneficial and sometimes help companies combat excesses, such as DLCs and Lootboxes.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

peter42O

Veteran
Icon Extra
12 Jan 2024
User scores and user reviews should be eliminated on Meta Critic simply due to the fact that you're not required to provide proof that you bought/played/completed the game and all you have to do is log in and click on a number for the score or write a bullshit review. For Steam, it seems like you can buy the game, played for minutes and then write a review for said game and then if the user wants to, can refund the game. Unless you buy the game on your account and complete it, no user should be able to post a score or review simply because there's no validation behind the score and/or review. The sooner user scores and user reviews get eliminated from Steam, Meta Critic, etc., the better.

Reactions: Box

Zzero

Major Tom
9 Jan 2023
So, you want to know what review bombing can accomplish?

(Just to be clear here, I think Arrowhead did the real heavy lifting here, behind the scenes, but that only happened because of the big stink that was raised by players.)

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
You cannot be seriously asking to delete the only means where users (normal people, you, and me) can voice their gratitude or unhappiness with a product.

It's unbelievable how detached from reality some people can be, one PS game got dumped on (rightfully so) and the solution isn't to examine what the game did wrong, no, the solution is: let's delete the user reviews feature.

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
Well for starters it just reversed a massive corporate decision within 72 hours, during a weekend no less.
You cannot be seriously asking to delete the only means where users (normal people, you, and me) can voice their gratitude or unhappiness with a product.

It's unbelievable how detached from reality some people can be, one PS game got dumped on (rightfully so) and the solution isn't to examine what the game did wrong, no, the solution is: let's delete the user reviews feature.

So now that Sony caved in will all those people change their negative reviews? No most wont

Yuniac

Veteran
15 Apr 2024
So now that Sony caved in will all those people change their negative reviews? No most wont
Unfortunately, most won't, because people are bitter, and Sony should have known better.

But I hope they do, and I'm sure a lot will.

ToTTenTranz

Veteran
Icon Extra
4 Aug 2023

1000054812.png

Around 220k reviews appeared or were turned negative since Friday.
How many of these must turn positive for you to assume you were wrong?

OP
OP
Box

Box

May contain Snake
6 Apr 2023
View attachment 4911

Around 220k reviews appeared or were turned negative since Friday.
How many of these must turn positive for you to assume you were wrong?

Most if not all of them, it was a knee jerk reaction by an angry mob. They had an issue with the accounts and it was reversed.