Horizon Franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gediminas

Boy...
Founder
21 Jun 2022
horizon-forbidden-west.webp

Horizon Franchise is an action role-playing game developed by Guerrilla Games and published by Sony Interactive Entertainment. Up until now, there are two main games : Horizon Zero Dawn and Horizon Forbidden West.

Horizon Zero Dawn is the first game in the Horizon franchise and was released for the PlayStation 4 in 2017 and Microsoft Windows in 2020.
The game tells a story wrapped in mystery, as we discover Aloy's history, and that of the game's world, along with the character. What happened to humanity as we know it? Why are there robot dinosaurs everywhere? Who exactly is Aloy?

Second game in franchise is called : Horizon Forbidden West and was released on 18th February 2022 for Playstation 5 and Playstation 4.
A sequel to 2017's Horizon Zero Dawn, the game is set in a post-apocalyptic version of the Western United States recovering from the aftermath of an extinction event caused by a rogue robot swarm. The player can explore the open world and complete quests using ranged and melee against hostile machine creatures.

Last edited:

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Awesome thread, love the banner!

Still playing through Forbidden West and loving it...slow at the start but really gets going in the middle IMO.

Was told you don't get access to fly till the end, so that is a bit disappointing .... definitely a side effect of the developers wanting to control too much, which is always a bad thing.

But it looks phenomenal and the robots are crazy sometimes. I just wish the combat was a bit more balanced so you took less hits to die and the robots were not so spongy.

D

Deleted member 140

Aloy is one of the best characters from recent and not so recent years. She is smart, honest, curious, has good intentions and behaves believable inside of the logic and the setting of the games.

It's an important decision by the developer to not feature some extensive dating side quests. She is not some random peace of meat, she is a strong woman who wants to help the people around her, find her true identity and save the world. No time to get weak because of the cute men!

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
Horizon is so unique to me and so original. Maybe Aloy isn't good enough in grabbing our attention and emotions, that's something ND are masters at.

They need to make more relatable IMO.... add some depth to her psychology and an overall arc.

I love the way she looks and plays and her being so strong is awesome but being strong isn't enough character alone.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
Awesome thread, love the banner!

Still playing through Forbidden West and loving it...slow at the start but really gets going in the middle IMO.

Was told you don't get access to fly till the end, so that is a bit disappointing .... definitely a side effect of the developers wanting to control too much, which is always a bad thing.

But it looks phenomenal and the robots are crazy sometimes. I just wish the combat was a bit more balanced so you took less hits to die and the robots were not so spongy.
The first 2 hours almost killed the game

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
I kinda like the way horizon did the tutorial section with teaching Varl how to use the Focus, which was really teaching the audience how to use it.

I thought that entire section which lead to the slitherfang fight was excellent, the Daunt area was the one that really felt unnecessarily long. They should have shortened the time between Aloy leaving Meridian to the Embassy. Game really picks up when you first go through that fight and get the shieldwing. Thats when the forbidden west starts.

I feel like GG tried to make The Daunt like White Orchard in Witcher 3, where the entire area serves as a tutorial map but this game can’t really afford to have people spend 5+ hours doing things too similar to the last game. They really should have just cut that entire area tbh

EbonyRainbow

They / Them
24 Jun 2022
I am a little ashamed that I haven’t played Forbidden West, I typically wait for games to go on sale due to have a limited gaming budget. It looks so good though from what I’ve seen. Just waiting for the first sale! Great thread OP and I love the banner! Did you make it yourself? I may want it as a background once I start the game!

D

Deleted member 140

They need to make more relatable IMO.... add some depth to her psychology and an overall arc.

I love the way she looks and plays and her being so strong is awesome but being strong isn't enough character alone.

I believe that it depends on what a game wants to be and what the writers want to achieve with the character.

Take HZD for example: they send the player and Aloy on a journey to resolve the mystery around her identity and to find out what was going on in the world with the corruption.

It served as a motivation for the player to explore the world and continue with the journey. But it wasn't intended as some character study, because the world and the mystery around it was the star of the game. For me, Aloy fit the game perfectly!

She is strong, dedicated, with a no BS attitude! (And kinda cute 😉)

EbnSIwAWAAAFgq8.jpeg

20 Jun 2022
Salalah, Oman
I am a little ashamed that I haven’t played Forbidden West, I typically wait for games to go on sale due to have a limited gaming budget. It looks so good though from what I’ve seen. Just waiting for the first sale! Great thread OP and I love the banner! Did you make it yourself? I may want it as a background once I start the game!

Why should you be ashamed when you are trying your best to fit things into your budget? That's something to be proud of, being smart! I actually regret playing the game in 30fps after the latest update for 60fps that was shitty, shimmer-fest mode and now looks glorious! You'll play the game in its best form!

Last edited:
  • they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gediminas

Three

24 Jun 2022
The game has a trial as part of PS+ premium if you're on that. I only found this out yesterday but you can give it a whirl if you're already on the sub.

24 Jun 2022
I do wonder if they will eventually give her a love interest. Seems like territory they're not trying to go in due to the audience.

I dont think a lot of men want to play as women with male love interests tbh

Not unless they can make those male love interests look just like them 🤣

I'm not sure if you can achive this, but the game actually has multiple customizable difficulty options. Maybe have a look at them and see if what you want is there.

That's prob what I'm going to do against the Stormbirds; certain enemy types are much easier to deal with than others and Apex ones are understandably harder.

If the game had a shield/block & parry option for close-range combat (or ways to get around quickly in stealth to go for critical strikes without bringing up an alert), it'd allow for the perfect mix of close-range, mid-range and long-range for pretty much any situation IMHO.

Reactions: Bo_Hazem
Status
Not open for further replies.