Horizon MMORPG by NC Soft pretty much confirmed in job offers and Linkedin stuff

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Via some LinkedIn stuff and job offer details we have more info and basically official confirmation of the title:
  • An NC Soft employee posted a job offer for a "Skyline" codenamed project that has the logo font from Horizon
  • This Project Skyline was previously codenament "Project H" (H = Horizon)
  • Job offer defines it as "open world PC/Mobile MMORPG through collaboration with famous overseas IP" and that "can show actionable combat and different narratives"
  • Unreal Engine 5
  • Under production since (at least) 2021
  • Expected to launch significantly later than Aion 2, which is anticipated to be released in 2024/2025 (who knows, maybe around 2027/2028)
  • The project is developed in Sung-Gu Lee's 'Lineage IP division' and is led by Hong-Young Choi who previously was head of Lineage W development
  • Around 140 people worked on the project in September 2023. This is a very significant number, comparable to other more advanced and already announced NC Soft projects, such as Lineage M (136) and Lineage W (147)

P.S.: NC Soft and Korean devs normally don't develop for console, they are used to work on PC and mobile. The job offer doesn't mention a PS5 version but maybe because since it isn't the expertise of Korean devs, or maybe because someone else (probably Guerrilla) may be handling the PS5 version while NC Soft focuses on the platforms where they an Korean devs are familiar with (PC+mobile). Or maybe they thought that mentioning there console or PS5 would be too obvious that they are making this game for Sony after announcing the deal with them.

But who knows, Guerrilla is making an MP game targeted for PS5 western players different than this project which could be targeted to Asian mobile/PC players. If you ask my personal opinion, I'd bet Guerrilla + NC Soft are teaming up in a single game that would target the whole PS+PC+mobile worldwide audience, and would be released as a crossgen launch PS6 title.

Last edited:

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
We’re under the impression that there are two leaked/rumored horizon online games. I used to think maybe that was wrong but it’s looking more true now than ever.

One being the Monster Hunter clone that had an alpha leak and looked absolutely embarrassing. The other this… which we have nothing other than stuff like this to know it exists.

Aside from liking the title and logo… I consider anything that got passed Sony’s live service review to have potential. I don’t think the monster Hunter clone would have passed. Then again … what would a horizon mmo be if not also a monster hunter like game? Hmm

It’s silly to even attempt to compete with Monster Hunter. That’s decades of iterative game polish that cannot be replicated. Direct competition will get smoked.

I don’t know how horizon could lend itself to a more traditional mmo experience but If it’s happening I’m looking forward to seeing what it shapes into.

Major long term investments here…

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

Evilnemesis8

Veteran
19 Dec 2023
One being the Monster Hunter clone that had an alpha leak and looked absolutely embarrassing. The other this… which we have nothing other than stuff like this to know it exists.

That wasn't even an alpha build, that's pre-alpha and most likely even earlier than that.
I mean, you had cartoony characters over assets pulled straight from Horizon Zero Dawn to just simulate a playing field.
That's generally what a prototype build looks like. Either an untextured mess and/or re-ussed assets if you've got them(in the case that it's not a new IP).

It’s silly to even attempt to compete with Monster Hunter. That’s decades of iterative game polish that cannot be replicated. Direct competition will get smoked.

There's no reason to think that nobody will be willing to play a Multiplayer Horizon considering how many people have bought Horizon 1 and 2.

I have way more faith for the commercially viability of a Horizon Monster Hunter clone than a MMO tbh.

I don’t know how horizon could lend itself to a more traditional mmo experience but If it’s happening I’m looking forward to seeing what it shapes into.

I also don't see it, especially not coming from NCSoft. I would not be surprised if the game gets cancelled in 2-3 years as the project sorts of fizzles out.

Going by the leaked numbers, it is PlayStation's best selling new IP.
It is not surprising that they're trying to do a lot of things here. I still would not attempt to make classical MMO out of it though, seems like a high risk/high reward thing. And if we're being honest that's the best outcome, you're more likely to get a medium amount of revenue, which is pretty much not what publishers are after when they open the money chest.

• brain
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
We’re under the impression that there are two leaked/rumored horizon online games. I used to think maybe that was wrong but it’s looking more true now than ever.

Aside from liking the title and logo… I consider anything that got passed Sony’s live service review to have potential. I don’t think the monster Hunter clone would have passed. Then again … what would a horizon mmo be if not also a monster hunter like game? Hmm

more than one game of a certain type can exist. Horizon alrdy has a fanbase on console and pc they just need to convince a few of those to try the new game. I’m alrdy there day one and I know several other horizon fans who will be on who find monster hunter combat floaty and clumsy. Horizon combat is more precise and elegant. Where games like wild heart failed is they tried to be too much like monster hunter. Horizon has a distinct style, world, narrative and unique type of enemy. It alrdy looks and plays better in my imagination than the new monster hunter based on that teaser which looked like sht, dull looking world, poor graphics more wonky looking. If u told me wilds was just an expansion of worlds I’d believe u.

OP
OP
Yurinka

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
As a reference for NC Soft games, here's some gameplay of Lineage W, the most recent game in the series, released back in 2021 for PC, mobile and Switch:

This some footage of Throne & Liberty, one of their upcoming games planned to be releasaed in 2024:

more than one game of a certain type can exist.

We know Guerrilla has been working in Horizon 3 and an Horizon MP game, but we don't know if that Horizon MP is the same than this one from NC Soft (in the same way that Firesprite developed most Horizon CoM stuff) or not.

In the same way, we don't know if the supposedly leaked images of a Horizon MP game in pre-alpha were from a project or the other in case they are separate games.

Last edited:
  • brain
Reactions: The Icon