Horizon online is moving along

Nimrota

Veteran
11 Jul 2023
If it's online does this mean your character will stop muttering the answer to puzzles as you're exploring?

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
This game is so 5 years late. But I still think it has potential to be their own twist on Monster Hunter if executed properly..

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Bryank75

Bryank75

I don't get ulcers, I give 'em!
Founder
18 Jun 2022
icon-era.com
This game is so 5 years late. But I still think it has potential to be their own twist on Monster Hunter if executed properly..

That's the danger of following trends instead of understanding your customers and providing them with what there is a high demand for....

If you follow trends, you may be late to market, the trend may have ended, there may be no demand etc.

But if you have cultivated an audience that you know loves a certain type of content or genre (single player narrative games for instance) at least you know that they expect and are going to more than likely buy such a game en masse.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Bro Ghost of T online was such a dope surprise that it has made me a believer. I Spent so much time in that coop world and it looked amd played gorgeously and was fun as hell. This has potential.

• fire
Reactions: Kokoloko and Danja

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
That's the danger of following trends instead of understanding your customers and providing them with what there is a high demand for....

If you follow trends, you may be late to market, the trend may have ended, there may be no demand etc.

But if you have cultivated an audience that you know loves a certain type of content or genre (single player narrative games for instance) at least you know that they expect and are going to more than likely buy such a game en masse.
I fully agree! It's so weird with this specific franchise but in the leaked artwork for the original game, we saw they had co-op play in mind. I always thought it was weird they didn't work on Monster Hunter esque type spin off. The PS4 base was the perfect time to get the GaaS push in motion and they somehow pulled back all support for in-house multiplayers.

The only studio who had their hand on the impending GaaS bubble was Naughty Dog with Uncharted 4 and they basically had no funding for it after 4 months of release.

But this IP is one of the few that I think has GaaS potential.

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Bro Ghost of T online was such a dope surprise that it has made me a believer. I Spent so much time in that coop world and it looked amd played gorgeously and was fun as hell. This has potential.
Well Sucker Punch understands gameplay and immersion better than Guerrilla so... They never disappoint.

OP
OP
Gamernyc78

Gamernyc78

MuscleMod
Moderating
28 Jun 2022
Well Sucker Punch understands gameplay and immersion better than Guerrilla so... They never disappoint.
Sony has studios and Ice team working together at times so if they wanted or need the help they will get it.

Reactions: Bryank75

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022

Sony already provided their fans a gazillion single player narrative games and will continue doing so, releasing even more single player games than before. Please, stop acting as if Sony is abandoning single player games when you know it is not the case at all. In this specific case, you already know that Guerrilla are working on both Horizon 3 -a single player narrative game- and Horizon Online -a multiplayer game-.

And Horizon Online is being directed by the director of the Killzone 2 Multiplayer and Rainbow 6 Siege, someone who knows a thing or two about multiplayer.

Sony has a cultivated audience of dozens of millions of games who play multiplayer games, in fact they are pushing harder on making MP games because the MP games are the best selling and best performing games on their platform, Sony isn't inventing the wheel or making weird experiments.

All this complaining and concern about fictional issues is getting ridiculous and embarassing.

Monster Hunter will be 20 years old and is now more popular than ever. Horizon is also more popular than ever, HFW is selling better than HZD, which has sold until now over 20M units. Absolutelly nothing leads to think this game is late to the party. The opposite.

Did they reboot it to require a new narrative director?
No. In multiplayer games the narrative is very secondary, so joins the team way later, when the gameplay mechanics, main features, progression, etc work, are fun, are proven, etc. Meaning, when what it's important for a MP game is already working well and they are confident with the game.

In single player narrative games the narrative directors instead enter the project just at start of the project because the narrative is one of the most important parts.

Last edited:

Danja

Veteran
Icon Extra
10 Mar 2023
Monster Hunter will be 20 years old and is now more popular than ever. Horizon is also more popular than ever, HFW is selling better than HZD, which has sold until now over 20M units. Absolutelly nothing leads to think this game is late to the party. The opposite.

Monster Hunter World reinvented their own wheel, it's not even remotely the same game it was 10 years ago much less 20 years ago. There's no way Forbidden West will continue to sell better than Zero Dawn... The game will be lucky to even get to 15 million even with the inevitable PC release.

They are quite LTTP with Horizon Online. But, like I said... I still think it' can still be a success once executed well and supported probably with maps and new lore.

Reactions: Box

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Monster Hunter World reinvented their own wheel, it's not even remotely the same game it was 10 years ago much less 20 years ago. There's no way Forbidden West will continue to sell better than Zero Dawn... The game will be lucky to even get to 15 million even with the inevitable PC release.

They are quite LTTP with Horizon Online. But, like I said... I still think it' can still be a success once executed well and supported probably with maps and new lore.
Monster Hunter World is a Monster Hunter game but with better visuals, a few qualilty of life improvements and a better implementation of the online part. It's just Monster Hunter 5, and after MH Rise pretty likely next year we'll see MH6 (or World 2) for its 20th anniversary.

I think you don't understood what I said: Forbidden West is selling better than Zero Dawn, not worse. Zero Dawn sold over 20M and will continue selling. And HFW will sell super likely more than that, specially when there's an Horizon tv show to be released next year. Nothing leads to think HFW will sell worse than HZD.

Reactions: Gamernyc78

JAHGamer

Banned
8 May 2023
I think you don't understood what I said: Forbidden West is selling better than Zero Dawn, not worse. Zero Dawn sold over 20M and will continue selling. And HFW will sell super likely more than that, specially when there's an Horizon tv show to be released next year. Nothing leads to think HFW will sell worse than HZD.
Highly doubt that when Sony put the game in the sub service only 8 months after release....

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Highly doubt that when Sony put the game in the sub service only 8 months after release....
You are free to believe that Sony lies. Btw, it was a year, not 8 months. The game had sold around 8M before being included there.

Last edited:

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
When did Sony say this?

Sony said: "As of April 16, 2023, the Horizon franchise has sold through more than 32.7 million units worldwide, of which Horizon Forbidden West has sold through over 8.4 million units" (in a year and almost 2 months)

HZD sold in a year over 7.6 million copies and on its second anniversary announced over 10 million.

And now I can't find the link, but way before that, soon after HFW launch (can't remember if after week, a month, or somewhere later) someone from Guerrilla or Sony mentioned that HFW had the best launch in sales for the studio.

• Informative
Reactions: anonpuffs

Shmunter

Veteran
22 Jul 2022
Interesting, still to play the main game even. 😂

• thinking_hard
Reactions: Gamernyc78