Horizon Zero Dawn Remastered on PC will require a mandatory PSN account, sparking controversy among players.

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
I don't buy PC games that require a second set of online DRM (Steam or Epic ++ PSN). No way, that means that if either Sony or Steam pulls the plug on their servers for some reason I lose access to my game, this is just too risky.

Drama does generate clicks.

Generally MS got away with anti-consumer practices, Sony got (well deserved backlash) for their PSN login on games that don't need it... I still think they should have kept their stance for online games, but this is a different thing entirely.
I said since the first port. Sony doesn't want to be another 3rd party publisher on PC. They either take it all or they are out. They want people to use PSN, the force everyone into their launcher, then force them pay PS+. That's what they call "capturing the wider audience " , "growth ", " expansion ".

Muddasar

Veteran
22 Jun 2022
Thierry Henry Smile GIF by hamlet

Killer_Sakoman

Veteran
21 Jun 2022
To this day i am still confused as to why PC players complain about "having to sign into an account" for PS game's when they do it for literally everything else.
Because they lose their most important marketing point for PC: open platform and not forced into an echo system. Hypocritical cause they want to be exclusive to Steam.

Last edited:

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Oh yeah another PC flop on its way, I love to see it.
The end of PS PC ports is near.
The thing I don’t understand is these PC port are bringing less the 1% of sales then what they do on the PS console alone & by doing these PC ports there doing more harm, damages & diminishment to the PS platform, hardware, storefront & overall maximization of the PS business where they take 100%.

The goal is to reach a wider audience but the wider audience reach on PC is shrinking & it’s shrinking rapidly. Spider-Man 2 PC port will do worse then Spiderman 1 PC port & I wouldn’t be surprised if it did worse then GOW & not leaks over 30K-35K.

If PS wanted to reach/target a new audience it’s pretty simple, PS is known of making mature 3rd person games how do you reach a new audience? It’s not a secret you make more games. The fact GOW, Ratchet & Clank & Uncharted/TLOU aren’t annualized franchises & ip aren’t being license to 3rd party shows to me PS does not have any vision. The GOW team should be split in 3 teams 1 team make mature rating GOW another make top down GOW another make a souls like GOW all of these are singleplayer games w 2-4 player coop why isn’t the GOW up license out to 3rd party license GOW to Bandai, Koe Tecmo & other partners get the makers of Unicorn Overlord (VSW) to make a GOW turn base rpg idk. A GOW spin off also doesn’t have to be mature rated it clan be more action base w no blood or gore & rated T that would get a younger audience into GOW a game thats more story/gameplay driven like imagine a GOW similar to DMC ot Mario Brotherhood. The fact Ratchet & Clank isn’t a annualized franchise like Sonic, Mario or even the cadence of Yakuza is sad considering R&C Rift Apart sold over 5 million on PS alone which is a massive success & the best selling premium R&C game & considering rift apart release in 2021 w 20 million PS5 Ratchet & Clank shown strong legs for the franchise. Why can’t we get Uncharted or TLOU spin off that are like Metal Slug that would be fun license Uncharted/TLOU to Sega or SNK & get a side scroller action base platformer using those franchise that can be made w smaller budget & 2-3 years in time it may not be sold at $70 but be more aggressive w pricing get a game out in 2-4 years & charge $40-$50 w a budget of 15-25 million if it sells even 1 million that would be amazing.

The profit & growth in PS will only come from actually producing games & releasing them exclusive on PS where Sony gets 100% literally all PS has to do is copy Nintendo.

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
To this day i am still confused as to why PC players complain about "having to sign into an account" for PS game's when they do it for literally everything else.

It's what it represents. It's one thing to strengthen Sony by giving them money for games, it's another matter entirely to help build their PC platform.

They know this is a precursor to a launcher. They know it's a precursor to potential changes happening on the PC landscape.

For example online play is free right now. What happens if major online games move exclusively to Sony's launcher in exchange for royalty free, but Sony's launcher forces you to pay for online as part of PS+...

They're scared.

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
PS pc initiative w the PC pets this PS5 gen has done nothing but create bad PR, bad communication, diminished the PS5 platform/hardware/storefront overall it has done nothing but hurt PS business & there ability to compete & maximize the console platform taking 100% in the long term for small to diminish growth/profits in the short term.

Literally everything about this initiative is negative, even the profits is what I call negative profits since there’s downside & those being hurting the maximization of the PS business in it itself so really the profits gain in PC is just the profits or less profits that would’ve been gained on console but because PS is a platform & gaining those profits on another competitor platform (Valve/Steam) it really isn’t even profit or growth. PC would have to bring in 3x the profits & growth that could be gained on console or by using other methods to see growth in PS to make PC ports actually a viable business strategy to make.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Because it is Sony and PlayStation.

It can look weird but other western company and brand get free pass.

That is why we use the “Evil Sony” as sarcasm… because for Steam / Xbox users Evil Sony is the anti-Christ to be combated at any cost.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Gods&Monsters

BillyZ

18 Jul 2024
Sony will stop porting games to PC any day now

Sony will sell games on their own launcher and make PC gamers pay for Playstation Plus

It's a little sad to see so much copium and you know it's not healthy for you.

• they're_right_you_know
Reactions: Systemshock2023

Alabtrosmyster

Veteran
26 Jun 2022
They wanted, but Arrowhead messed it up on Release.

That is why they tried later, but people just cried: "Sonyyyyy".
For an SP game I get the revolt (I don't buy games that require two accounts, it means that if any of the two companies decide to shut down their servers you just lose access to whatever you paid for).

However, for a GaaS game people do it all the time (GTA V, many others)... So having the Sony one only makes sense.

Ducati996

18 Sep 2024
Because it is Sony and PlayStation.

It can look weird but other western company and brand get free pass.

That is why we use the “Evil Sony” as sarcasm… because for Steam / Xbox users Evil Sony is the anti-Christ to be combated at any cost.
Not quite, at least for me that's not the reason. My 'official' residency is Monaco (Monte Carlo). I cannot use my PSN account at all there! I can use the other launchers though! I have to be back in the UK to use my console or PSN through my PC.

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
Not quite, at least for me that's not the reason. My 'official' residency is Monaco (Monte Carlo). I cannot use my PSN account at all there! I can use the other launchers though! I have to be back in the UK to use my console or PSN through my PC.
That is why the game is not sold on Steam for your country anymore (what generated all the Helldivers 2 buzz... It was a Steam issue that was fixed after Sony asked).
Countries not supported by Sony doesn't officially receive their games.

Is it fair? No... but that is business... I can't buy products in my country that are not officially released here (I can import that is like you buying and playing PS games with a external account).
What you need to ask is for Sony to support your country officially.

Anyway why can't you use your external PSN account in Monte Carlo? Seems like a political issue on your Country... not Sony one.

Ducati996

18 Sep 2024
That is why the game is not sold on Steam for your country anymore (what generated all the Helldivers 2 buzz... It was a Steam issue that was fixed after Sony asked).
Countries not supported by Sony doesn't officially receive their games.

Is it fair? No... but that is business... I can't buy products in my country that are not officially released here (I can import that is like you buying and playing PS games with a external account).
What you need to ask is for Sony to support your country officially.

Anyway why can't you use your external PSN account in Monte Carlo? Seems like a political issue on your Country... not Sony one.
The Helldivers 2 fiasco was justified on the users part, Sony did the right thing by reversing that decision. They do have every right to ask for PSN requirements for future games, I don't have an issue with that. Even if It's IMO silly for single player games but again it's their choice.

For me it's really un pro-consumer. I can't use my consoles in Monaco, so I'm limited to using them when I'm in the UK. Sony are happy for me to buy the PS5Pro 30th Anniversary Edition but I can't use PSN! That's what I find a bit weird. So I have no choice but to use Steam / EA etc. while I'm here. Literally had to download a mod for GoW Ragnorak to circumvent the PSN requirement.

There is no political issue in regards to Monte Carlo, Monaco. Possibly because its a city state, with like 35,000 residents only lol!
At any rate, I go back to the UK (London) enough so it doesn't really effect me much. Just the point is, people being against PSN requirements is not always because they hate Sny etc.

Reactions: Systemshock2023

ethomaz

Rebolation!
21 Jun 2022
Brasil 🇧🇷
PSN ID
ethomaz
The Helldivers 2 fiasco was justified on the users part, Sony did the right thing by reversing that decision. They do have every right to ask for PSN requirements for future games, I don't have an issue with that. Even if It's IMO silly for single player games but again it's their choice.

For me it's really un pro-consumer. I can't use my consoles in Monaco, so I'm limited to using them when I'm in the UK. Sony are happy for me to buy the PS5Pro 30th Anniversary Edition but I can't use PSN! That's what I find a bit weird. So I have no choice but to use Steam / EA etc. while I'm here. Literally had to download a mod for GoW Ragnorak to circumvent the PSN requirement.

There is no political issue in regards to Monte Carlo, Monaco. Possibly because its a city state, with like 35,000 residents only lol!
At any rate, I go back to the UK (London) enough so it doesn't really effect me much. Just the point is, people being against PSN requirements is not always because they hate Sny etc.
But Helldivers 2 had the PSN requirement since it opened the Steam page six month before release.
And Helldivers 2 was launched with PSN requirement... those that played day one in the few hours were forced to log in a PSN Account to play it.

The developer choose to disabled the PSN requirement while they mitigate the server issues.
They thought they were helping the player with the server issues.
But players hit them back after.

About Monte Carlo... there is really something wrong (and political) happening.
I can play in Brazil with any PSN Account from any country in the world.

You should not have any issue to play games in Monte Carlo with your UK Account... and I played in my parent's home most of my life... a 7k residents city... on vacations I got my PS there and never had any issue logging into PSN.

I really not getting it... unless the Monte Carlo government is blocking PSN for political reasons you can log into your PSN UK Account and play there.

Last edited: