Horizon Zero Dawn Netflix series reportedly not moving foward

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022

Scoop: Rolling Stone has learned that two of 'Umbrella Academy' showrunner Steve Blackman's projects that were in development at Netflix, a Horizon Zero Dawn series and an original series, Orbital, are no longer moving forward

This comes after Rolling Stone's huge article about the toxic workplace that was behind the scenes for The Umbrella Academy
Multiple staffers have accused 'THE UMBRELLA ACADEMY' showrunner Steve Blackman of fostering a toxic workplace by:
• Allegedly making lewd, sexist, homophobic and transphobic remarks
• Pitting staffers against each other
• Taking credit for other people's work
• Creating an environment of fear and distrust

I think this would work better as an animated adaptation rather than live action. Something similar to Arcane or Edge Runner

Nhomnhom

Veteran
25 Mar 2023
Guerrilla wasn’t making the show
I didn't say they were. I see no benefit of lesser versions retellings of anything.

If they are set on adapting video games I would much rather get animations and expanded universe with direct involvement from the original creators.

OP
OP
Remember_Spinal

Remember_Spinal

Ah, my back!
23 Jun 2022
were. I see no benefit of lesser versions retellings of anything.

Because you play the games, the show isn’t just for people who play the games

People from Guerrilla can assist in writing or other consultation but that doesn’t stop production on what they already do.

Guerrilla is one of the most productive sony studios out, more so than insomniac possibly. They not only work on Decima, they put out Horizon this generation, it’s DLC, helped on Call of The Mountain, Helped on Lego Horizon, and they are giving assistance to DS2 and who knows what else

John Elden Ring

The Thread Maker
Content Creator
5 Jul 2022
United States
5NosJWB3mUxKbdf9kDop2n-970-80.jpg.webp

Source

Netflix's Horizon Zero Dawn show is reportedly no longer going forward after a string of allegations surrounding planned showrunner Steve Blackman.

Netflix and series owner Sony first announced plans to adapt Aloy's nearish future escapades last year in a live-action series featuring probably wonky CGI for the starring dinosaur robots. Casting news, details, and even a title were all under wraps, but we did know that Umbrella Academy showrunner Steve Blackman would be leading the project, rumored to have been called Horizon 2074.

Rolling Stone's Cheyenne Roundtree now reports that the Horizon Zero Dawn series has been scrapped, alongside another original series that Blackman was developing with the streamer, after allegations that he created a chaotic and toxic workplace. Yesterday's Rolling Stone report states that twelve former staff members accuse the showrunner of a "long history of toxic, bullying, manipulative, and retaliatory behavior" in the workplace, while Blackman's spokesperson says the claims are "entirely untrue" and "completely absurd." Neither Netflix nor Sony have commented on the situation or the state of the Horizon TV show.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 2spooky5me

Neversummer

Veteran
27 Jun 2023
Can we get a inFAMOUS 1 & 2 remake? Aswell as a 3rd game starring Cole again.

A live action inFAMOUS show would be amazing. Even a inFAMOUS live service game where it’s a 5v5 super power pvp game w parkour movement would be interesting

Anyways we won’t get any of what I mention because Bluepoint is a single team studio making a new ip that will take 5-7 years. Why wasn’t Bluepoint expanded to still have a remake team & a new team working on a new original ip idk imo it’s incompetent. Even a studio like Nixxes could be use to make remakes/remasters & bring many PS PS3 games to modern console breathing fresh air to the ip/franchise expanding the franchise to a new audience but instead Nixxes is put onto porting games to direct competitors who they themselves show no business in porting there exclusive ten pole games to PS ultimately diminishing the PS platform & storefront as a great investment to make in gaming atleast in the long run

Knowing Herman deep throat’s the Horizon franchise it will get a show at MAX/Amazon or Apple

Reactions: Sircaw

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
5NosJWB3mUxKbdf9kDop2n-970-80.jpg.webp

Source

Netflix's Horizon Zero Dawn show is reportedly no longer going forward after a string of allegations surrounding planned showrunner Steve Blackman.

Netflix and series owner Sony first announced plans to adapt Aloy's nearish future escapades last year in a live-action series featuring probably wonky CGI for the starring dinosaur robots. Casting news, details, and even a title were all under wraps, but we did know that Umbrella Academy showrunner Steve Blackman would be leading the project, rumored to have been called Horizon 2074.

Rolling Stone's Cheyenne Roundtree now reports that the Horizon Zero Dawn series has been scrapped, alongside another original series that Blackman was developing with the streamer, after allegations that he created a chaotic and toxic workplace. Yesterday's Rolling Stone report states that twelve former staff members accuse the showrunner of a "long history of toxic, bullying, manipulative, and retaliatory behavior" in the workplace, while Blackman's spokesperson says the claims are "entirely untrue" and "completely absurd." Neither Netflix nor Sony have commented on the situation or the state of the Horizon TV show.
It hasn't been scrapped just not moving ahead with the two showrunners. They might get someone else onboard or movie it to another streaming service.

shrike0fth0rns

Veteran
9 Dec 2022
FFS.

So what you are saying is my version of Aloy is over

main-qimg-7439883d28501e87c85b3fd01a6af899-lq
It was supposeed to be a prequel set a thousand yrs before Aloys birth. It was probably going to be about the start of the Faro plague. Its working title was horizon 2074. Aloy was born in 3021.

Yurinka

Veteran
VIP
21 Jun 2022
Rolling Stone's Cheyenne Roundtree now reports that the Horizon Zero Dawn series has been scrapped, alongside another original series that Blackman was developing with the streamer, after allegations that he created a chaotic and toxic workplace. Yesterday's Rolling Stone report states that twelve former staff members accuse the showrunner of a "long history of toxic, bullying, manipulative, and retaliatory behavior" in the workplace, while Blackman's spokesperson says the claims are "entirely untrue" and "completely absurd."
I'd say maybe he didn't want to go too woke.

FFS.

So what you are saying is my version of Aloy is over

main-qimg-7439883d28501e87c85b3fd01a6af899-lq
Netflix's Aloy would be more like this instead:

GGlIKIFX0AAvn8t.jpg:large

• haha
Reactions: Kokoloko

voke

Veteran
10 Jan 2023
Idk how they gonna make tribal people robo Dino’s work in tv. Horizon has such an absurd setting lol

Vertigo

Did you show the Darkness what Light can do?
26 Jun 2022
Of course it can work. Anything can work. From turtles living in the sewers of manhattan that eat pizza to non-stop assault of marvel junk. That’s more believable? The issue is it undoubtedly expensive to make. Might as well do the visual effects in decima.

quest4441

Veteran
27 Feb 2024
I am all for Sony trying to expand their audience but all we are going to get is another misandry bottle job from hollywood with horizon

Say1nMan

Veteran
28 Jul 2023
I think Horizon would work better as a film. The fact that it was going to be a series on Netflix had me doubting how much of a budget it was going to get to insure that the CGI was going to be up to snuff since this is Netflix we’re talking about. Horizon is an IP that was going to be CG heavy even more so than say other Netflix series like a Stranger Thing for example.

• brain
Reactions: Nhomnhom

mibu no ookami

Veteran
21 Feb 2024
I think Horizon would work better as a film. The fact that it was going to be a series on Netflix had me doubting how much of a budget it was going to get to insure that the CGI was going to be up to snuff since this is Netflix we’re talking about. Horizon is an IP that was going to be CG heavy even more so than say other Netflix series like a Stranger Thing for example.

The fact that it went to Netflix rather than Paramount or Peacock kind of says everything.

Sony's 3 biggest IP for tv went to the 3 biggest streaming services: Netflix (Horizon), Amazon (God of War), and Max (The Last of Us).

That people are pretending like this had anything to do with Horizon and not the issues surrounding the showrunner shows how depraved some people are to make everything about an agenda.

Like @shrike0fth0rns said, unlikely they're just going to give up on the IP in transmedia. They'll find someone else or another streaming service. If I was Netflix/PlayStation Productions, I'd go after Laeta Kalogridis.

Reactions: KickNamesTakeAss